Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Old gas stations

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
“Gone but not forgotten!” :D
hpxS3BN.png

Linco gas.

06cEvvr.jpg

"Make sure you put the “empties” in the right case jake!"
nGraeb3.png

Just had to call everyone (and Lizzie's, as I think we recently chatted about these) attention to that awesome cigarette vending machine. Certainly more stylish, more Golden Era, more Henry-Drefuss-and-Raymond-Loewy "like" than the mid-century / Jetson ones Lizzie and I remember from when we were kids.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Just had to call everyone (and Lizzie's, as I think we recently chatted about these) attention to that awesome cigarette vending machine. Certainly more stylish, more Golden Era, more Henry-Drefuss-and-Raymond-Loewy "like" than the mid-century / Jetson ones Lizzie and I remember from when we were kids.

LlBuIoy.jpg

Hey pal...you’ve piqued my curiosity about that thingamajig on the right!

Can you think of someone that might enlighten us? :D

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
The "Mobilxxx" branding was all over Socony-Vacuum stations in the Era. Mobilgas, Mobiloil, Mobilubrication done with Mobilgrease, Mobilwax for sale inside for your canning needs, Mobilthis and Mobilthat and Mobiltheotherthing ad infinitum. But "Mobil," the just plain word, wasn't actually used to brand the actual gas station until 1956.

I have a set of 1930-'31 Chevrolet wheels for my gow job project. Two of them had petrified tires still mounted. One was a Mobil Tire De Luxe with a Mobil Tube De Luxe inside. The tube still holds air! Though the bead on the tire suffered somewhat in the removal. They're decor items in my den now.

17192409_10213290892131939_291087667005297358_o_zpsxuqggt5d.jpg

18193447_10213787868476037_964927636695471024_o_zpsj11n8zn0.jpg

As the tire says "Socony-Vacuum" on it, I presume it's pre-1955.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Yep, Socony-Vacuum became Socony Mobil Corporation that year, and there were certain changes in signage. Up until then, most of their dealers in New England were branded "Socony" instead of "Mobilgas." Many went straight from the "Socony" shield sign with the big Flying Red Horse to the "new look" 1956 Mobil sign, without any transitional "Mobilgas" shield.

18025553_1_m.jpg

Since "Socony" was derived from the "Standard Oil" brand, the company was allowed to use it as a brand name only in the territory awarded to it as part of the 1911 Standard Oil consent decree. But they got around this by changing the name of the company in the early thirties to "Socony Vacuum Oil Company" and appending a small "Socony-Vacuum" to the bottom of the Mobilgas signs they used in most of the rest of the country.

This kind of slicking around characterized most of the Standard companies at one time or another. From the thirties to the early fifties, most Esso signs read "STANDARD" ESSO DEALER. But in New York and New England, the territory in which Socony had sole use of the Standard name, they read COLONIAL ESSO DEALER, for the Colonial-Beacon Oil Company, a subsidiary which Jersey Standard used to operate in Socony territory. It didn't seem to occur to anyone at Socony that "Esso" was derived from S. O. until the trademark was already established in the region -- either that or they chose not to fight it in exchange for the right to operate Mobilgas stations in Esso territory.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
The 40s truck that you posted looks like a war-era vehicle with the painted grill.
This one (
46) is getting ready for summer driving.
Yje2MzI.jpg

I found “as is”. I don’t believe whitewalls were typical for these work trucks.
Also the hood belongs to GM trucks, the hood on the Chevrolet trucks of this period are similar in design, the main difference was that the
Chevy trucks were equipped with side-vents.
This hood has “General Motors Truck” metal sign on the sides.
I added a larger mirror replacing the smaller original one.
The rear-view mirror inside is so tiny that only a munchkin would
appreciate. But it’s all paid for! :)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MichaelSturm