Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Old gas stations

Ghostsoldier

Call Me a Cab
Nice bike!

7db89aeb34eb70cb08a88bbbd5a64a7a.jpg
94cbd8e744445a27d8e91010d317f681.jpg

Rob

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Who'd a thunk this would be one of FL's best, most active, most engaging threads that really captures the look, feel and vibe of the period - with a ton of extremely neat information to boot - but it is.
It's not fossil fuel related but you might be interested to learn that every soldier, sailor & airman that served during WW2 was given a made to measure suit after being demobilised.
demob suits.jpg

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
What a fabulous bike, I doubt if my wife's vintage 1927 Phillips could keep up, certainly the rider has seen better days, but the clothes always get a reaction.
View attachment 84319

My bike's a "cruiser".
I like to take things nice & slow.
I get enough of the "rush-rush" at work,

I'm sure your wife's vintage ride would
be just fine.

Although I never was issued a suit
from Uncle Sam after my tour of duty.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Don't ask me what the hell these guys are wearing....
View attachment 84366
Rob
Shell socks.jpg

Shell catalog:
Screen Shot 2017-09-02 at 5.08.20 AM.png

Argyle:
Argyle.png

"After the war and in the decades that followed, the shorter socks and
use of fabrics remained.
Almost any color combination was seen on male ankles, including
pink and purple.
Initially the early 1950s were a conservative look for men and socks
reflected this with classic business colors, grey, black, navy blue,
in argyle and diamond patterns with vertical orientation."

History of Vintage Men's Socks -1900 to 1960s - Vintage Dancer

Last edited:

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Did anyone save their green stamps? We had a guy name of Richard Tomlinson, who saw the success of Sperry & Hutchinson's green stamps whilst on a business trip to the US, came home and 'stole' the green stamp idea by starting a company called Green Shield Stamps. It took of, big time. Sperry & Hutchinson tried to counter it by starting up S&H Pink Stamps, it bombed. Most Brits had no idea how big S&H were Stateside. This photo made headlines because of the innuendo. It says FREE SEX but continues with: "fold stamps," in lower case. Sextuple stamps just doesn't have the same ring to it as FREE SEX.
green shield.jpg

Did anyone save their green stamps? We had a guy name of Richard Tomlinson, who saw the success of Sperry & Hutchinson's green stamps whilst on a business trip to the US, came home and 'stole' the green stamp idea by starting a company called Green Shield Stamps. It took of, big time. Sperry & Hutchinson tried to counter it by starting up S&H Pink Stamps, it bombed. Most Brits had no idea how big S&H were Stateside. This photo made headlines because of the innuendo. It says FREE SEX but continues with: "fold stamps," in lower case. Sextuple stamps just doesn't have the same ring to it as FREE SEX.
View attachment 84494

Must have been different times as, today, Tomlinson's move would have set off a round a lawsuits and countersuits that would have gone on for years.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I've never seen that particular variation of the Texaco sign before -- it's the "Matawan Hexagon" as used in the US from the mid-sixties to the early eighties, but without the small circular red-star green-T emblem that the US version superimposed at the bottom. What do the British have against red stars with green T's?

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
View attachment 84494

My mother saved “S&H’’ stamps. She had a drawer full in the kitchen, although I
don’t ever recall her having them redeemed.
Screen Shot 2017-09-02 at 2.35.44 PM.png

Last edited:

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
1.png
Early logo.
Texaco was founded during the early boom years of the Texas oil industry. In 1901 a gusher at the Spindletop oil field sent hundreds of entrepreneurs into Beaumont, Texas. Among them was Joseph S. "Buckskin Joe" Cullinan, an oilman who had begun his career working for Standard Oil Company in Pennsylvania.
The Spindletop wells led to the rapid establishment of over 200 oil companies, pumping out as much as 100,000 barrels a day.
Cullinan saw an opportunity in purchasing that crude for resale to refineries. With the help of New York investment manager Arnold Schlaet, he formed The Texas Fuel Company with an initial stock of $50,000. Cullinan and Schlaet began soliciting additional investments in New York and Chicago. After raising $3 million, they reorganized their venture as The Texas Company.
95a58cb30a4c1f4d0322cd9b9335193c.jpg

rn_gallery_5.jpg

Last edited:

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Hmm, a toy store. Wonder what that was for as to hear some tell it who were kids in that era, your parents just beat you if you weren't happy - no toys needed. A little like the old saw how, also in that era, they walked to school six miles in the snow and it was all up hill - both ways. :)

Most of the toys were marbles, spinning tops, kites or baseball cards.
They sold for pennies.
I would collect empty soda water bottles and redeem them at the store.

My folks left me with my grandma to live with her. She loved me,
never spanked me. I was not a spoil brat. I enjoyed listening to her
stories when she grew up on a farm.

I used to go to the Saturday matinee to watch Gene Autry.
I used a stick to pretend it was a gun.

One Christmas, Santa gave me the whole kit including spurs.
In front of my grandma’s house. 2jakes (pit-bull) is nearby.
Screen Shot 2017-09-03 at 8.23.37 AM.png

The photo does not reveal that I’m very embarrassed.
The kids in neighborhood across the street are making comments.
“Hey get a load at jake & his fancy cowboy gear!” Ha-ha-ha!
Nobody in the neighborhood had this when playing cowboys.
I wanted to crawl somewhere and hide for the rest of my life!:(

I would have been just as happy to have gotten only the
Gene Autry pistol that fired paper caps.
But I wore the whole outfit just to please my grandmother.
I’d do anything for that dear lady.
Btw: I only walked about six blocks to school.:)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21