Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Old gas stations

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Wine stop. :(
IMG_9822.JPG

IMG_9818.JPG

IMG_9821.JPG

Nice to see a Corvair, which got an awful rep thanks to Ralph Nader. But the Corvair was a rear-engined car, and was air-cooled like the VW Bug; so what's the deal with the radiator? It looks like it was propped there for the pic -- the hood couldn't close with the radiator in place.

Damn near died in a Corvair, a '66 Monza version, when I got T-boned on the driver's side by an uninsured clown who ran a stop sign. Spent that night and the next 11 in the hospital.

In the street car pic above, notice the "Spick and Span" store of some kind or another. Wonder if it was related to the origins of the cleaner (I know the cleaner today spells its name "Spic..." but that stuff can evolve) or just a small store of some kind using a common phrase?

Same pic - is that "Wine" sign early neon?

In Jake's second picture, what's with the "?" price?

And in the third pic - RE motor oil, good one Lizzie.

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
Anything New Mexico catches my attention, so I looked up Glenrio. It's a ghost town now, but existed straddling the NM-TX line for a number of years: http://www.legendsofamerica.com/tx-glenrio.html The site says, "A post office was first established on the New Mexico side of the community, but, the mail arrived at the railroad depot located on the Texas side." I guess this pic must be of the post office they mention. However, they also say, "There were no bars on the Texas side of the community, since Deaf Smith County was dry, and no service stations on the New Mexico side because of that state's higher gasoline tax." But this appears to be both a bar and a service station, and (if the post office is any clue) on the NM side.

BlueTrain

Call Me a Cab
Damn near died in a Corvair, a '66 Monza version, when I got T-boned on the driver's side by an uninsured clown who ran a stop sign. Spent that night and the next 11 in the hospital.
The only people who run stop signs and red lights are uninsured clowns. That is, except where I live, where practically everyone runs red lights.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
The only people who run stop signs and red lights are uninsured clowns. That is, except where I live, where practically everyone runs red lights.

This is very common across the border too.
I asked the taxi driver about the street signs with the
word “ALTO” at each intersection and what it meant.
(I had an idea, I was curious what he would answer)

He replied, “ Oh that means "stop”, but as you can see señor,
there’s no oncoming traffic...so why stop?”

TaxiEnMexico.jpg
Somehow it made sense.o_O

LizzieMaine

Bartender
In the street car pic above, notice the "Spick and Span" store of some kind or another. Wonder if it was related to the origins of the cleaner (I know the cleaner today spells its name "Spic..." but that stuff can evolve) or just a small store of some kind using a common phrase?

"Spick and span" was a very common phrase in the first half of the 20th Century, and long before, and the cleaning product was named after it -- they presumably changed the spelling to "Spic n Span" to make it a registerable trademark. The phrase itself meant something along the same lines as "ship shape" or "squared away." I can't read the rest of the sign, but the name would imply that it's clean and tidy and not a roach-ridden greasy hole in the wall.

"Spick and span" was a very common phrase in the first half of the 20th Century, and long before, and the cleaning product was named after it -- they presumably changed the spelling to "Spic n Span" to make it a registerable trademark. The phrase itself meant something along the same lines as "ship shape" or "squared away." I can't read the rest of the sign, but the name would imply that it's clean and tidy and not a roach-ridden greasy hole in the wall.

Thank you, great color. Like you, I was frustrated that I couldn't enlarge it enough to see the rest of the sign.

BlueTrain

Call Me a Cab
This is very common across the border too.
I asked the taxi driver about the street signs with the
word “ALTO” at each intersection and what it meant.
(I had an idea, I was curious what he would answer)

He replied, “ Oh that means "stop”, but as you can see señor,
there’s no oncoming traffic...so why stop?”

View attachment 86004
Somehow it made sense.o_O
Is that Moon Mullin's taxi?

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
IMG_9841.JPG

Remembering the "Fulton" exterior sunvisors.
I installed one on my '46 truck.
Had to take it off.
Was a little difficult to view the traffic
signal located above.

The only time it was convenient was
on an old street that still maintains
the traffic light signal on the side street
corners instead of hanging above.

IMG_9839.JPG

My first "tv news" vehicle was a station
wagon similar to the one above.
Practically was my 2nd home in a way!

Last edited:

Ghostsoldier

Call Me a Cab
Hot rodders who run those visors use traffic light peep mirrors that clip to the roof drip rail, or stick to the windshield using suction cups, especially if they have chopped roofs.

I've got one around here somewhere.

Rob

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Hot rodders who run those visors use traffic light peep mirrors that clip to the roof drip rail, or stick to the windshield using suction cups, especially if they have chopped roofs.

I've got one around here somewhere.

Rob

IMG_9842.JPG
At antique swap meet.

Stop light on '40s truck is only on the
left side along with the license plate.
It's small.
Besides seat belt, I added this:
IMG_9843.JPG
The interior rear-view mirror is a joke.
I added long exterior rear-view mirrors for safety.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy