Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

old metal container with Swiss markings?

green papaya

One Too Many
IM001098.jpg

IM001099.jpg

I just picked up this old metal can with SWISS markings at the flea market and was curious when it was made? what era is it from? I thought it might be for liquor, but somebody says it's for Methalated spirits / fuel

it's nickle plated tin with a heavy duty threaded brass cap, about 5.25 inches tall and 4 in wide.

it looks vintage? anybody know what era it comes from? 1920's? or maybe 1930's -40's?

marked :

BRENNSPRIT

5 dl

Alcool a bruler

Salv

One Too Many
Brennsprit is a generic name for the alcohol used to heat fondues, and bruler is French for burn so it's burning alcohol. I don't know when that can dates from, but the font used looks quite modern so I have a hunch it's post-WW2.

KAT

A-List Customer
hey there..here is what it is ...another word for it is BRENNSPIRITUS

denatured alcohol
methylated spirit [chem.]
methylated spirits

you can use it to mix with gas, clean your house, take it with you for camping...for almost everything except drinking :p

like said before.its just the german and the french name for it
but i cant tell you the age..sorry , i was looking on german sites but couldnt find anything

Salv said:
Brennsprit is a generic name for the alcohol used to heat fondues, and bruler is French for burn so it's burning alcohol. I don't know when that can dates from, but the font used looks quite modern so I have a hunch it's post-WW2.
Wow, as a country, the Swiss must think very highly of their troops and their cheese to have special Fondue pot fuel containers. Anybody every see the matching field expedient Swiss military fondue set? Camoflage Alpenflage enamel pots with special Swiss steel fondue forks and the C-ration type cans of cheese and bread for dunking. It all comes in a special box that doubles as a dining room table. It is often accompanied by the the the Swiss Military field wine cellar.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael