Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Old trash?

Murph351

One of the Regulars
Our neighbor's So.Cal. 1920's house still has the old incinerator out back and I was wondering if anyone knew the general time frame that most cities required trash pickup over burning.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Isn't it odd though that it's still legal to burn wood in fireplaces in So. California? IE., surprised it's legal to burn anything.[huh]

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Here in NYC I can still look out the window of my office and see a plume of black smoke go up from a tall apartment building for a few minutes as garbage is obviously being incinerated. I don't know if it's legal or not, but it's being done.

The Wingnut

One Too Many
...nothing wrong with burning wood as long as you're keeping the fire hot enough. Most people don't know how to properly tend a fire, however, and end up producing more smoke than heat. A proper fire will not produce smoke at all, just a shimmer of heat out of the chimney.

My grandfather had a garbage incinerator in the back yard up 'til the late '70s, when garbage pickup became cheap enough to warrant putting it all at the curb.

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Girl Friday- I'd wager that those "fire pits" are actually what were originally ash pits if you are in the midwest/east. People would haul out the ash remains from the fuel burnt in the coal furnace and/or fireplace and they made a pick up occassionally for the stuff.

panamag8or

Practically Family
We still burn yard trash. We haul it down to the beach (i.e. exposed lake bottom) until we have a big pile. That doesn't take long with two houses sharing the pile and tons of trees in both yards.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran