Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

On resuming pipe smoking...

dobroruka

New in Town
Hello fellow smokers,

I am on the verge of resuming pipe smoking, which I left long ago. Some things have changed in the market - so, I would appreciate your advice.

Back then I loved Amphora Rich Aroma (the green one) and Dunhill My Mixture 965. Pretty much opposites, I know, but I enjoyed both, to suit different moods and different occasions. Are they still available?

Also, I found some expensive but apparently very well finished Amphora pipes. Anyone has good or bad comments to make on them? Any ideas will be appreciated.

Have a fine Easter, everybody

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I've had a nice briar pipe that I bought decades ago but never used. I started trying it out a few months ago and have really been enjoying it. I'll only have a smoke a couple of times a week. I've been using Captain Black tobacco, but I'd also like to try some other varieties. I believe there are a couple other threads on the subject. Bartenders, can you direct us?

LocktownDog

Call Me a Cab
Amphora pipes are decent, particularly the older ones.

I've never seen the green Amphora blend around here, so I can't say for sure if its still being sold or not. As for the 965, Dunhill has been sold in the past couple of years and the manufacturing of the blends is now hit or miss. I'm not sure 965 is one of the blends being reintroduced.

It may not be proper to post a link to another (non competing) forum, but I would suggest inquiring at http://www.smokersforums.co.uk They specialize in all things pipe smoking and would be better suited to answer your questions.

Steven180

One of the Regulars
I wish I could give you something more than a little moral support. I am an eight year humble pipe burner who sticks to two basic flavors obtained from a nondescript Tobaccoist. Admittedly, I do not have the experience in brand to recommend a gourmet blend.

My point is, I hope that picking up a pipe again returns you to the reason you are going back for, and furnishes new pleasures you appreciate and enjoy more now after some time. Good luck to you, please let us know how it works out.
M.

Effingham

A-List Customer
I can't recommend Navy Flake highly enough. My preferred brand is Orlick's Golden Sliced (navy flake), but MacBaren's Navy FLake and Peter Stokeby's Navy Flake taste exactly the same to me. They're all wonderful.

My first pipe, back in 79 or so, was Captain Black Gold. I still have a fond spot in my heart for it, but Navy Flake is where I live now.

irfan.wayang

Familiar Face
I've given up myself, but you should definitely check out Cornell and Diehl, a small Mom-and-Pop internet store that has become one of the leading online retailers of their own blends of pipe tobacco. Something for all tastes, I used to smoke their Tuggle Hall, a blend of Perique, Latakia and Cavendish that consciously strove to taste like OLD version of Dunhil 965:

http://www.cornellanddiehl.com/oldindex.html

birkie

Familiar Face
you should definitely check out Cornell and Diehl, a small Mom-and-Pop internet

Yes, definitely. I highly recommend them as well. They are small, but a true manufacturer in the sense that they start from whole leaves. Their tobaccos tend to be on the natural side with virtually no additives other than natural flavorings or sugars (though as a result some tend to be dry, and batches are not always 100% consistent). My favorites so far are Epiphany, Gentleman Caller, and Captain Bob's Blend.

There's a great interview and video of their operation here:

http://pipesmagazine.com/blog/pipe-...light/cornell-diehl-good-ol-american-tobacco/

Effingham

A-List Customer
No truer words were ever spoken. :)

(Although I've said the same,* mutatis mutandis, in a Scotch store....)

*(Not about BLENDS, mind you....)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24