Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

On yer bike!

esteban68

Call Me a Cab
great photos Mike, is the Humber a Raleigh 'Humber' I had a pre Raleigh one with the duplex forks complete with very slack head angle...it was a comfortable dream to ride but wallowed into tight bends.
What's the bike attatched to the basket complete with 'junior' is that the 34 Sports? getting period correct parts for these older machines is starting to get tricky!

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Actually Mike - some of the old ads and graphics. Do you mind awfully if I reproduce them here as reference to bike parts and cycling wear? Let me know please - Thanks!

Mike1973

A-List Customer
Fill yer boots Paddy! If you follow the flickr links it should let you download them, I've not put any restrictions on them, just happy to share them. I'll be adding to them as I find the time.

Esteban, not sure when Raleigh bought Humber. I remember looking it up many moons ago and thinking my machine was a Humber built one. Not sure why it doesn't have the trademark dual forks though. I find it very well behaved, if a bit sedate. Weighs a ton so that doesn't help. The '46 Hobbs raceweight with 531 tubing is sprightly by comparison.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I'm just taking a pit stop here whilst out on a ride. Smart phones are handy! 1938 Saxon.

18e436fd.jpg

esteban68

Call Me a Cab
Fill yer boots Paddy! If you follow the flickr links it should let you download them, I've not put any restrictions on them, just happy to share them. I'll be adding to them as I find the time.

Esteban, not sure when Raleigh bought Humber. I remember looking it up many moons ago and thinking my machine was a Humber built one. Not sure why it doesn't have the trademark dual forks though. I find it very well behaved, if a bit sedate. Weighs a ton so that doesn't help. The '46 Hobbs raceweight with 531 tubing is sprightly by comparison.
By the photo it's difficult to tell but at a guess I would say post Raleigh takeover, the rear seat stay top eye finishing suggest Raleigh to me as does the 'Raleigh' industries brake caliper( though these could haver been retro fitted) Raleigh built machines were very good in their own right, I have a 1947 Raleigh Lenton clubman frameset in the depths of the shed somewhere, it's built from 531 maintubes, it was also made and badged as a Rudge,Humber and another that I forget for now, the only differences being the badge, fron fork crown and paint finishes.
Now a 46 Hobbs is a different beast altogether, as you say you can really tell when your riding a lightweight it just feels so much more responsive!
I have a late 1950's early 1950's Hercules Kestrel frameset built from 531 maintubes, it has nice birds mouth cutouts to the frame lugs, it's a 22 1/2 or 23" size I'll post pictures, it needs a respray but is quite a rare framset but sadly too big for me!
here you go;
xpnrm.jpg
28rz2xk.jpg
2rdcgtl.jpg
24v77eb.jpg
33wa5pf.jpg

Last edited:

billyspew

One Too Many
By the photo it's difficult to tell but at a guess I would say post Raleigh takeover, the rear seat stay top eye finishing suggest Raleigh to me as does the 'Raleigh' industries brake caliper( though these could haver been retro fitted) Raleigh built machines were very good in their own right, I have a 1947 Raleigh Lenton clubman frameset in the depths of the shed somewhere, it's built from 531 maintubes, it was also made and badged as a Rudge,Humber and another that I forget for now, the only differences being the badge, fron fork crown and paint finishes.
Now a 46 Hobbs is a different beast altogether, as you say you can really tell when your riding a lightweight it just feels so much more responsive!
I have a late 1950's early 1950's Hercules Kestrel frameset built from 531 maintubes, it has nice birds mouth cutouts to the frame lugs, it's a 22 1/2 or 23" size I'll post pictures, it needs a respray but is quite a rare framset but sadly too big for me!
here you go;
xpnrm.jpg
28rz2xk.jpg
2rdcgtl.jpg
24v77eb.jpg
33wa5pf.jpg

Is that the Hercules? It's nice, rather partial to the Hercules brand - just my size too!

esteban68

Call Me a Cab
Under the rubbish paint it does appear to be in very good condition, certainly the 531(butted? a tad under 27.00mm seat post dia) tubes ring well, it looks straight and true it's just a real shame it's too big as I really like it...I think its the simple lug finish coupled with the dead handy mudguard mounts that are up the stays/forks rather than over/near the axle nuts which can make it awkward to get the guards on-off if you're using it for a track/path machine with quick release guards.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Gents - any 'deals' on items/equipment..etc can be done either via PM or in the more public arena of the Classifieds section ;)
'Maybe' at some future stage, we will have a designated 'Bike wheeling and dealing' area - 'if' there is enough particular interest in vintage cycling here. However, my gut feeling tells me, we are a 'small band of brothers' on this forum!

Billy's quite right, 'great frame!' and head badge.

esteban68

Call Me a Cab
Obviously Paddy! just a show and tell honest...It's funny how people who are into one thing are often into the same as others, I have many interests obviously vintage clothing, cycling, military histyory and history in general but also in fixing and owning mechanical things like cycles, clocks, watches, motorcycles and cars in the past, also I have a liking for guns/air rifles etc(difficult to get other stuff over here) edged weapons pocket knives and military knives....quite a few people I know and chat to on various forums have the same interests.
A vintage cycling area would be great if enough interest.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Currently getting a graphic designer pal in Holland (a boyfriend of a female member 'here' so believe me when I say, 'this place' is GREAT for networking!) to make copies of my SAXON transfers, so that when it gets the respray, these can be reapplied. But hasn't been easy trying to 'make out' the details on the head transfer, especially some of the writing that has disolved over the decades. And Lloyds don't do 'that' headbadge, hence my having to think outside the box on this one.
It 'is' time consuming, trying to identify the original colours and 'nail' them. Also getting all the dimensions and measurements (I'm pretty anal when it comes down to getting the details right).
Not sure 'if' I would have gone to all this trouble, except the 'paint job' by the previous owner wasn't...let's say, up to my standards :(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ