Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

One for those with unfinished horsehide jackets,

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
I think you made the right call. Comipel (raw) horsehide potential is unlimited, but cannot be controlled. You could end up liking it at year 2 but hate it at year 3, and if you stuck around long enough may end up liking it again at year 5. It's really gonna be a roller coaster ride. Also I have found darker color hides are easier to pair to wear, burgundy vicenza is really nice leather.

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I still think unfinished HH is cool... if you have enough other jackets and this is just an addition for spring/early summer.

El Marro

I’m disappointed in you moktabe!
Well not really, it is your jacket and of course you should choose the leather you want to wear. I think cordovan Vicenza is a much more versatile selection and you will probably get more wear out of it because of that.
I wouldn’t say that the natural horsehide is a dirt magnet but it certainly does show marks from wear and anything you might spill on it.
I can appreciate your concern that this might not be the hide for you right now. Maybe for your next next Aero…

MrProper

I’m disappointed in you moktabe!
Well not really, it is your jacket and of course you should choose the leather you want to wear. I think cordovan Vicenza is a much more versatile selection and you will probably get more wear out of it because of that.
I wouldn’t say that the natural horsehide is a dirt magnet but it certainly does show marks from wear and anything you might spill on it.
I can appreciate your concern that this might not be the hide for you right now. Maybe for your next next Aero…
The dirt magnet comes from me.
Of course, it's not the case that you go out once and the jacket is black afterwards. But I did get a lot more stains that I wouldn't even notice with other colors. Nothing major and most of it could be brushed or washed out. It didn't bother me, but if you're meticulous, it looks different.
I could imagine that the natural Vicenza is a little easier to care for.

El Marro

The dirt magnet comes from me.
Of course, it's not the case that you go out once and the jacket is black afterwards. But I did get a lot more stains that I wouldn't even notice with other colors. Nothing major and most of it could be brushed or washed out. It didn't bother me, but if you're meticulous, it looks different.
I could imagine that the natural Vicenza is a little easier to care for.
All valid points! I had an idea what I was signing on for when I bought the jacket, so I was ready for it.. I feel like this hide is always going to look a little rough around the edges, and that is part of its charm for me.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
The end state of undyed veg tan is a really vile rotten meat sort of colour. No thanks. (For my tastes, anyway.)
I think those ugly vegtan wallets and belts we usually see on denim forum are the victim of over obenauff-ing the poor thing into dull rotten blackish brown, i think real patina on leather will be shiny and looks polished even when they become dark or even black-ish and this darkest parts won't be dominating all over the jacket but rather only on spots were most buffing happens. I personally love the end result of the normal journey of patina, but to me the biggest hurdle is stomaching the few first months or even its first year, most stains happens here and also the state of pinkish tan that lasted awhile, and also most veg tan abuse also happen around this phase since probably most people also want to just skip past it quickly, so they would obenauff it several times, and probably put it in the sun for hours until the leather is sun burnt, especially when the person live in tropical country with very harsh sun, and they put on even more obenauff like it would help soothe the burnt leather and the result is very ugly patina.

Peacoat

Bartender
Is that a single coat of Pecards from new? Looking at the Pecards site there are a few types to choose from, which did you go for please?

It's looking perfect.
Pecard uses the same formulation in all of its products. The company gives them different names for marketing purposes.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
I think with raw/ natural vegtan, you need to wear it hard and perhaps daily the first 2 years and then after that you can put it into rotation because by that time it has reached caramel stage where it is pleasant to wear or even to look at on the hanger, however the first year or two you have to bond with it and push through the ugly phase together while you still have enough love for it for being your newest jacket and while you are still get hyped by the patina promise and stuff, however if you wear it lightly from new ... I almost certain you will hate it and get rid of it before it gets good, because this natural vegtan gets ugly before it gets good, the new stage is better compared to where it has tanned a little and start picking pinkish hue, and then flesh tone, and then carrot/ orange tone, there are stages where it looks really hard to style with other than wearing all black or all white with it

Last edited:

jchance

One of the Regulars
I think those ugly vegtan wallets and belts we usually see on denim forum are the victim of over obenauff-ing the poor thing into dull rotten blackish brown, i think real patina on leather will be shiny and looks polished even when they become dark or even black-ish and this darkest parts won't be dominating all over the jacket but rather only on spots were most buffing happens. I personally love the end result of the normal journey of patina, but to me the biggest hurdle is stomaching the few first months or even its first year, most stains happens here and also the state of pinkish tan that lasted awhile, and also most veg tan abuse also happen around this phase since probably most people also want to just skip past it quickly, so they would obenauff it several times, and probably put it in the sun for hours until the leather is sun burnt, especially when the person live in tropical country with very harsh sun, and they put on even more obenauff like it would help soothe the burnt leather and the result is very ugly patina.

Can you say more about the possibility of sunburning the natural leather if left in the sun for too long? Like is there a maximum number of hours per day to suntan the leather, then let it rest?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner