Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Open Road crown reshape

Fivesense

One of the Regulars
This is more generally about reshaping Hats than it is the Open Road.

I’ve recently gotten “brave enough“ to reshape some of my hats. I typically like a western look, but I have found that I do not like the cattlemen crease as it sits slightly too high on my head. I like more of an open crown that I can reshape to my tastes- preferably a box/brick variation.

My first reshape of a felt is my Open Road 6X silver belly. It sat too high on my head for my tastes so I hit it with some steam with the intention of morphing it into a modified brick. What I ended up with looks vaguely familiar to me, but I’m not sure to what. Perhaps a jello mold? Either way, it feels like a new hat and I love it. It not only fits and feels the way I like, but it was also cathartic to finally “go for it,” and not worry if I would “screw it up.”

It’s pretty cool to make a hat one’s own. While I’m not sure if this is what I will settle on, it was a very liberating process to get to this point.

Attachments

• 6E36FC23-4B23-44A6-9C4C-93025E0B0914.jpeg
    6E36FC23-4B23-44A6-9C4C-93025E0B0914.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 1,015
  • 24BCF2B5-A595-4661-962E-BAFF9D860A6F.jpeg
    24BCF2B5-A595-4661-962E-BAFF9D860A6F.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 1,258
  • 0610BD46-E8C5-46F3-90B1-FD6F8CF7603B.jpeg
    0610BD46-E8C5-46F3-90B1-FD6F8CF7603B.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 904
This is more generally about reshaping Hats than it is the Open Road.

I’ve recently gotten “brave enough“ to reshape some of my hats. I typically like a western look, but I have found that I do not like the cattlemen crease as it sits slightly too high on my head. I like more of an open crown that I can reshape to my tastes- preferably a box/brick variation.

My first reshape of a felt is my Open Road 6X silver belly. It sat too high on my head for my tastes so I hit it with some steam with the intention of morphing it into a modified brick. What I ended up with looks vaguely familiar to me, but I’m not sure to what. Perhaps a jello mold? Either way, it feels like a new hat and I love it. It not only fits and feels the way I like, but it was also cathartic to finally “go for it,” and not worry if I would “screw it up.”

It’s pretty cool to make a hat one’s own. While I’m not sure if this is what I will settle on, it was a very liberating process to get to this point.
Good for you. For me one of the joys of hat collecting/wearing has been learning to work the felt so that it more reflects me. Felt is really quite amazing. Quite a bit like clay in working with it and very forgiveable at least in its natural state. I have had difficulty at times with vintage hats that have taken a set in their bash and when reshaped the creases of the old bash just cannot be totally eliminated. My mantra, and it has served me well enough...."dare to screw it up!"

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Great looking hat. It’s interesting how some shapes are popular at times and regions. I saw a post on Facebook from North West Hats. The older gentlemen out there are re creasing Open Road hats into a Gus crease.
Looks great. Wear it in good health.
Johnny

Fivesense

One of the Regulars
Very much what we call now a centerfire. These you will find were quite popular in the 1940's and 1950's.
Thank you! I really appreciate this info! I thought I had seen this crown somewhere but couldn’t put my finger on it. The Lounge delivers again!

Spats McGee

One Too Many
I bought a garage-sale Resistol cowboy hat for my first reshape. That's how nervous I was. I learned that felt is a lot more durable than I'd imagined. There might even be pictures of it around here somewhere. You did a great job!

Fivesense

One of the Regulars
I bought a garage-sale Resistol cowboy hat for my first reshape. That's how nervous I was. I learned that felt is a lot more durable than I'd imagined. There might even be pictures of it around here somewhere. You did a great job!

I appreciate that. I'd worked a couple palm leaf hats to gin up the courage.

I agree- you've just got to get over the hump, recognizing that these hats can take quite a bit. I've got another Open Road Royal Deluxe in Sage, and two Stetson Skyline's up next.

Fivesense

One of the Regulars
If I want to share a few images of another re-shaped hat, what is the appropriate forum to do so?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ