Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

open road western

bklyn343

New in Town
Hello
I have been lurking here for a bit but no real posts. I now have a question and I thought I would address the pros. I was given a Stetson open road western in silverbelly. The hat is from the sixtys and is in as new condition in origional box. The hat is too small for me. What would be the aprox trade value for such a hat. thank you
Keith

DougC

Practically Family
If its a size 7, trade value is very low--please send it to me immediately before the value drops beloe zero!

Really, value is going to be determined by condition. Pics would help.

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Age, condition, SIZE, color (blacks & chocolate browns seem rare, SB- as common as can be...) all will be variables to weigh as to the hat's value.... my .o2

bklyn343

New in Town
The size is 7 1/8; I am 7 3/8, too much to stretch I think. I will try to post pictures but I am not to good on the computer. The condition is excellent as far as I can tell. I dont think it has ever been worn.
Keith

deanzat

One of the Regulars
A Bit of a Stretch

This hat came to me as a size 7 western. I typically buy 7 3/8 or 59, but my real size is somewhere in between 7 1/4 and 7 3/8. As part of the conversion from western to this hybrid, I stretched the hat, very patiently, over a series of weeks. I would soak the hat with distilled water (inside and out) and wear it until it dried. I did this every other day for a while, and kept a hat stretcher in it when I wasn't wearing it. Now it is the only hat I have that is EXACTLY my size, so to speak.

The sweatband and felt came through the process just fine. Some may not like the taper or bash or whatever, but after all, it's my hat...

123778307.jpg

123778309.jpg

RBH

Bartender
deanzat said:
This hat came to me as a size 7 western. I typically buy 7 3/8 or 59, but my real size is somewhere in between 7 1/4 and 7 3/8. As part of the conversion from western to this hybrid, I stretched the hat, very patiently, over a series of weeks. I would soak the hat with distilled water (inside and out) and wear it until it dried. I did this every other day for a while, and kept a hat stretcher in it when I wasn't wearing it. Now it is the only hat I have that is EXACTLY my size, so to speak.

The sweatband and felt came through the process just fine. Some may not like the taper or bash or whatever, but after all, it's my hat...

123778307.jpg

123778309.jpg
I think you did a great job!!
And best of all... it looks damn good on you!!!!
:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

deanzat

One of the Regulars
Thanks. I just wanted to make the point that a stretch from 7 1/8 to 7 3/8 might not be unreasonable. Of course, I'm not sure I would try it on any hat that was precious to me. This one was expressly for experimental purposes.

CRH

Call Me a Cab
deanzat said:
...I did this every other day for a while, and kept a hat stretcher in it when I wasn't wearing it. Now it is the only hat I have that is EXACTLY my size, so to speak.

My Father used to tell me to "use my head more" and to "be more patient".

I think you're onto something here, deanzat!

Stan

A-List Customer
Hi,

*My* dad used to say for me to use my head for 'more than a hat rack'! :p

In this case, it'd be exactly that! Ha! :p

later!

Stan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner