Opera Fans In The FL?

Discussion in 'Radio' started by Chas, Sep 16, 2009.

1. DJH

DJH I'll Lock Up

I'm no expert, but I'd agree that opera is best in the original language. Not to say there is no good English opera. I love Britten's work, especially Peter Grimes.

This version conducted by Britten with his friend Peter Pears as Grimes.

[video=youtube_share;NJDAz_J_MSY]http://youtu.be/NJDAz_J_MSY[/video]

2. dhermann1

dhermann1 I'll Lock Up

I saw Jon Vickers in Peter Grimes at the Met about 20 years ago. That was really spectacular. Not "pretty" music, but brilliant, gripping.

3. Chasseur

Chasseur Call Me a Cab

Yes I'd agree I've seen some good opera and musicals in English, but for some reason its harder for me to "get into" serious opera sung in English. I dunno [huh]

4. Peacoat

Peacoat I'll Lock Up

Agreed; it just isn't the same.

5. Chasseur

Chasseur Call Me a Cab

I find it often wanders into "Cop Rock" territory which I find hard to take seriously when its a dramatic opera...

[video=youtube;gLm5Sn1cMyQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLm5Sn1cMyQ[/video]

[video=youtube;sWwNTSj2Cy0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWwNTSj2Cy0[/video]

6. BriarWolf

BriarWolf One of the Regulars

My only real experience with English language opera outside of Gilbert and Sullivan is Floyd's Susannah, and with all respect due to the cast, I just couldn't stand it. Then again it might just have been the subject matter. It is rather hard to take an opera set in rural Appalachia seriously.

That side, I'm a shameless fa of Wagner as well as his predecessor Weber. Currently steeping myself in Puccini; Leoncavallo's Pagliacci remains a personal favourite.

7. Harp

Harp I'll Lock Up

Anna Netrebko's Quando me'n vo from La Boheme cast a spell over me. :)

8. Big J

Big J Call Me a Cab

I'm off to see the Royal Opera House perform Don Giovanni this month. I'm looking forward to it very much.

9. BriarWolf

BriarWolf One of the Regulars

Easily my favourite from Mozart. Commendatore gives me chills every time and must be seen, not just heard.

Its inclusion in Sherlock Holmes: Game of Shadows was one of the most gratifying parts of the film.

10. pawineguy

pawineguy One Too Many

Saw The Girl of the Golden West at the Vienna State Opera last September. Puccini's fascination with the American West makes for some an interesting mix of language and setting.

11. Big J

Big J Call Me a Cab

It is a great opera, but I like the fact that it starts off like a comedy, with Gionanni's manservant reading off a massive list of his masters conquests, but ends so seriously. And rightly so! Don Giovanni deserves everything he gets. lol