Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Opinions on Fit

Hitchet

New in Town
100% agreed with the other posts (sorry), at least one size too small, probably two. Just one thing to add, and somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but breaking in the jacket is only going to make the fit more relaxed, not less. If it's too big now it will look even baggier when the leather is more pliable. No point waiting to see what happens if you break it in, me thinks. On that same note: a smaller size might seem a bit too restrictive at first until the leather is more pliable.

Beautiful jacket though! I'm sure you'll be much happier with a good fit.

Bucket

Familiar Face
first and foremost, thank you all for viewing my pictures and for providing your thoughts, opinions and suggestions. I greatly appreciate those who provided their own experiences, as well.
I absolutely agree that this jacket is far too big, at least 1 to 2 sizes too large. I've been speaking with Stuart, and his initial response to my photos is that the jacket is the right size but the sleeves are too long. He's been very responsive but I can't get over the feeling that there isn't a precise science to the measurements of the LW jackets. When I ask for specific measurements on a size 38 in the same jacket, his response is how much it will decrease ... pit to pit will decrease by about 1" in both front and back, the shoulder width will decrease by .5" to .75", and the shoulder seams will decrease by about .5 on both shoulders.
Since creating this thread I also purchased 2 similar style jackets from Schott. The 38 fits perfectly everywhere, except for being a little tight in the shoulder areas, I have range of motion but it's not quite as free moving as in the size 40. However, the 40 fits a little larger overall and the sleeves are much longer.
My question is do I return the LW and gamble that sizing down works for me or do I stay with the Schott in a 38 which I know already fits and will continue to conform to by body.
My concern is that I am a bit of a leather snob, so I am automatically more inclined to trying to get the right size in the LW horsehide, but i have a closet full of custom jackets that i could never get to fit right. The Schott is a great looking and fitting jacket, which I am sure will make me happy ... but I know in the back of my mind I will always be thinking ... man this jacket would be way cooler and have so much more character if it were horsehide.
Sorry for the rambling ... anyway, I can only have one jacket ... what would you do if it were your decision?

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I've been speaking with Stuart, and his initial response to my photos is that the jacket is the right size but the sleeves are too long.
If that is what he thinks then I think you should find a different jacket you like from LW or go with a different maker altogether. I have a couple jackets from Lost Worlds and my experience with Stuart is that he is quite good at sizing over the phone and through email. With that in mind I’m thinking that this just might be the wrong pattern for your body.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
The heart want what the heart wants. It sounds like horsehide is desired. Go horsehide or you will not be happy.
LW isn't wrong about sizing or decrease comment. A jacket worn 50 times will fit and look different than a brand new jacket. The exact science isn't really quantifiable by math. Some jackets I have I did not like it when it was new, but grew to love it after a year or two. And some is the other way around. The only thing that stays constant is "comfort". If the jacket isn't comfortable from day one (mainly shoulder and back), it ain't gonna get more comfortable by "breaking in".
The size 38 LW you have now has extra inches of leather at the waist. But most car coat style pattern has the straight body shape, with maybe an inch curve taper at the waist at most. With your body shape this isn't the best pattern without customization at the waist and hem.
I will also assume that your Schott jacket has noticeable thinner leather than your LW, also softer and stretchier. Maybe this is why you don't like it as much as your LW leather.
Look for horsehide longer half belts. They will give you the taper you need to have that trim fit at the waist. Size down further on the LW coat will not work I am afraid.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Does look at least two sizes too large. If it's horse hide, I imagine it will be quite tiring to wear after a while. Generally, FQHH jackets need to be worn to fit so that they're easy to move in but also so that you're not carrying a ton of leather around like two heavy shopping bags all the time.

Hats Matter

One of the Regulars
Bucket: Based on the photo posted the coat is too large in general and not tailored to be flattering. I have several leather jackets that are quite expensive and I always have them tailored to fit my frame which is rather large. A good tailor could alter the garmet for a better fit.

Bucket

Familiar Face
So .... i agreed with the general consensus of the forum that the originally purchased HEMI 40R was too big. In speaking with Stuart, he felt sizing down to a 38R would be the perfect fit, with the addition of tapering about 1" at the waist. I just received the LW Hemi in a size 38R and would appreciate your thoughts on fit. I'd prefer to not weigh in on fit and functionality so as not to bias your opinions. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_5242.jpeg
    IMG_5242.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 408
  • IMG_5243.jpeg
    IMG_5243.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 403
  • IMG_5244.jpeg
    IMG_5244.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 405
  • IMG_5245.jpeg
    IMG_5245.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 415
  • IMG_5248.jpeg
    IMG_5248.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 414
  • IMG_5250.jpeg
    IMG_5250.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 419
  • IMG_5251.jpeg
    IMG_5251.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 424
So .... i agreed with the general consensus of the forum that the originally purchased HEMI 40R was too big. In speaking with Stuart, he felt sizing down to a 38R would be the perfect fit, with the addition of tapering about 1" at the waist. I just received the LW Hemi in a size 38R and would appreciate your thoughts on fit. I'd prefer to not weigh in on fit and functionality so as not to bias your opinions. Thanks in advance.
SO MUCH BETTER!!!! Looks superb!

Bucket

Familiar Face
SO MUCH BETTER!!!! Looks superb!
Thanks, much appreciated .... agreed it's infinitely better than the 40R. I'm a bit on the fence though, I think in some aspects I could probably go down one more size, but I think it would be too tight across the back and would jeopardize functionality. guess I'm just looking for validation ... hahaha

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Way better.
If you absolutely need something to change, the most I could think of would be to make the waist and hem a little tighter... if at all.

TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead

Call Me a Cab
As others mentioned that have more experience with this style than me, it's a hard one to nail. It's no doubt way way better. But I agree, the waist is still off some. It flares out too much for my liking, but this is being nitpicky on my part. 99% of everyone wouldn't notice or care. But if it would keep you up at night, I'd say you need to come down another pinch or two on the waist.

TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead

Call Me a Cab
@MrProper @TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead i agree with you and had already reached out to Stuart about this, unfortunately, he said there is nothing he can do to the jacket to resolve the flaring issue.
I think you're good. It was being super nitpicky. The leather will drape more with time and settle down. You made huge leaps from the last one, so mission accomplished.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko