Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Opinions on Overland Sheepskin Co.?

InsOma

New in Town
Hello Loungers,

I'm in the market for another black leather jacket. I already have an Aero Highwayman in heavy FQHH, and for some time I've been wanting a lighter, softer alternative to the stout horsehide. Overland makes a lambskin jacket called the "Dawson" that looks pretty nice: https://www.overland.com/products/dawson-lambskin-leather-jacket-29934.aspx

I haven't found any reviews of Overland by searching the forums, so I thought I'd solicit some opinions and see what comes of it.

Thanks in advance!

InsOma

New in Town
Are you kidding me..?!! That kind of money for lambskin and no custom sizing or features. Why the high price for what looks like a mall jacket? Sorry just don't get it...
HD
Not being very familiar with lambskin, this is why I'm asking about it. I want something lightweight and soft, so it seems like lambskin might be a likely candidate. I've found almost no reviews about any Overland products, so if there are alternatives you'd suggest I'm all ears. Being made in the USA is one of the objective reasons the jacket is so expensive, but if the quality of the leather is something special I'm willing to pay for it.

Some lambskin although light weight can most often not be nearly as durable as other leathers even to the point of a quite fragile hide. It finds very little to no favor on this forum mainly because of that.
I still cannot understand that high price. Seems it falls into the fashion jacket category and somehow sets prices trying to compete with others of the same ilk.
There are several US jacket companies that make custom jackets offering various hides that don't ask those kind of prices. Johnson Leathers for one. Being made in the USA doesn't necessarily mean something must have exorbitant over the top prices.
HD

Siggmund

One of the Regulars
I agree with HooDad above that there is a fashion element at play here. I visited their Denver showroom and it struck me as, well, above my pay grade. I loved smelling all those leather goods and I eventually bought a very nice Aussie-style felt hat for $75, which I considered a reasonable value. Plus, it's a valid point that for the money, you could probably purchase a custom jacket.

Peacoat

Bartender
Goat is a good idea as suggested by @Sloan above. Another hide that is a little easier to break in is the Vicenza. I believe Lounge member @Fanch has one. I have heard nothing but good reviews about them. Plus it is a stunning hide.

Goat is sorta like James Dean: Forever young. It will break in and probably develop some graining after many years, but developing patina might never happen. I base these comments on a 1962 G-1 (some graining, no patina), an older German police jacket (no graining, no patina) and a 6 or 7 year old Taylor (U.S.) police jacket (no patina, no graining).

Edward

Bartender
For me, goat is the classic leather than breaks in without wearing out... it's not for you if you like the teacore look, but if you like a jacket to stay the colour it was when you bought it, go goat. Goat is my 'warmer weather' leather of choice because it is much lighter than many other hides, yet it has that durability (I believe I rad somewhere that only Roo is more abrasion resistant)which I require in leather. It's why so many motorcycle gloves are made from goat: tough in a slide, but light and flexible to wear.

dannyk

One Too Many
For me, goat is the classic leather than breaks in without wearing out... it's not for you if you like the teacore look, but if you like a jacket to stay the colour it was when you bought it, go goat. Goat is my 'warmer weather' leather of choice because it is much lighter than many other hides, yet it has that durability (I believe I rad somewhere that only Roo is more abrasion resistant)which I require in leather. It's why so many motorcycle gloves are made from goat: tough in a slide, but light and flexible to wear.
I believe that’s what I’ve read as well. Roo and goat are some of the most abrasion resistant leathers made. A ton of professional riders have Roo suits. Doesn’t really make a classic perfecto or cafe racer jacket. But for a full body suit like they wear it’s becoming the hide of choice. The saying “tough old goat” certainly applies to goat leather as well. It’s not nearly as thick and doesn’t patina or teacore or have the same break in. Which is a negative if you want that classic look. But as you said if you want a jacket to look almost like new 20 years from now then it’s only a positive. But having said all that Langlitz specialize in goat and some of their goat ages beautifully, But that may be more how they tan and finish it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy