1. Lounge Update headed your way. Check the thread in the Observation Bar. If you don't like the light style, click the light bulb at the top-right of your screen.

Ordering a custom Aero. Advice or suggenstions needed.

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by Colin G, Sep 12, 2018.

1. handymike

handymike I'll Lock Up

Sateen in the sleeves is a must :), especially if you ever wear it with a short sleeved shirt.

sweetfights likes this.
  2. Colin G

Colin G New in Town

I am in a t-shirt or polo almost %100 of the time. I run hot.

I don't even wear a light jacket till it hits around 10 degrees C (50 F).

3. Jejupe

Jejupe One of the Regulars

Sateen is nice, but I actually prefer cotton drill with short sleeved shirt. Actually I would recommend full cotton drill lining with heavy CXL leathers. Aero's cotton sateen is nice, but it is not as durable as cotton drill.

4. Colin G

Colin G New in Town

Reading that thread just took wool off my lining list instantly but I was never sold on it anyway. Sounds terrible to be honest. I have had jackets years old I wore constantly with zero lining wear.

I am sticking with my first plan and going with heavy cotton drill.

Jejupe likes this.
  5. Jejupe

Jejupe One of the Regulars

Good choice! If I could have only one leather jacket :eek: it would be Aero CXL leather + cotton drill.

6. Sloan1874

Sloan1874 I'll Lock Up

Can I suggest the Bootlegger premier fit - very slim with high armholes. I would recommend cotton drill for sleeves, light wool lining for the body - it's not scratchy and is marginally warmer cotton.

7. Colin G

Colin G New in Town

As of today, I have the 30's half belt coming as a test fit jacket and that should be here in about a week and a half. I am very sold on the Premiere Half Belt and sticking with that plan since that is the one I keep looking at and coming back to.

I don't really like the Bootlegger either since I am not too fond of a double collar or an asymmetrical zip like that. Not my style although the Bootlegger is a nice looking jacket, it is not for me.

No to wool also. I am not a fan of wool to begin with so cotton drill it is. I never wear sweaters and hate wool socks. I am stubborn and won't budge on that one. The only thing wool I own is a toque or a beanie or whatever everyone else that is not Canadian calls them.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2018 at 10:48 PM
  8. Seb Lucas

Seb Lucas I'll Lock Up

Go with whatever Thurston recommends.

But a size 40? I'm a 40 in many Aeros and I am 6 inches taller than you and 25 pounds heavier. Wouldn't you be after a 36 or 38? People often wear clothing that is over sized these days so it is hard for them to judge their real size.

Anyway - if I were you I'd get a Premier Highwayman with a cotton drill lining - the strongest most effective lining. The Bootlegger is very nice but the HWM will be more versatile.

Sloan1874 likes this.
  9. Sloan1874

Sloan1874 I'll Lock Up

Well, at least we're helping you to whittle down your choices. The test fit jacket's an excellent way to go, saves a lot of heartache if you can't get to the factory yourself.

10. Stringmaster

Stringmaster One of the Regulars

Did you consider the Premier Highwayman (not that the 1/2 belt is a bad choice)? That’s what I went with for an all around jacket that could fit a lot of different styles—dress it up or down. Lots of custom options too—I ”rockered” mine up a bit but can still wear it for business casual. I went with and like the full cotton drill lining.
    https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/my-new-custom-premier-highwayman.89630/

11. Colin G

Colin G New in Town

I have zero interest in a Highwayman. Highwayman fit large so I'd be a 36 in that. I have no idea about Aero sizing so I am trusting Thurston Bros. I assumed she'd send a 38 but the 30's half belt she is sending must fit true to size.

Carrie at Thurston said I should try a 40 as a fit jacket. I tried a Vanson Model F from them and it fit nice, but just didn't like the overall jacket. Going off that, she said a 40 in the 30's half belt is what she is sending as a fit jacket for me to try as a reference for the Premiere half belt so yes, I did do as Thurston recommended.