Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ordering Some Hats From Optimo

fiddletown

New in Town
Graham Thompson from Optimo Hats in Chicago has been holding a trunk show in the area. I had an appointment with him yesterday and wound up ordering some hats.

I was impressed by the apparent quality and fine hand of his samples. I final picked three colors for fedoras. Then chose ribbons (color, width and bow style) and other design details.

He could basically do pretty much whatever I liked. I prefer a tear drop or diamond crease. Also, I like a wide brim (2.75 to 3 inches -- getting one with a 2.75 inch brim and two with a 3 inch). I really appreciated that since wide brims are hard to come by in a soft, felt fedora.

We also spent some time settling on the size.

Simply put, these are custom hats, made to measure and to the buyers specifications. All in all, it was a very pleasant experience. In this age of mass productions, opportunities to have something made for you, just as you want it, are becoming increasingly rare.

And they are making me up a terai (slouch hat -- the sort of thing robert Ruark was photographed in on safari -- in some of the books I've read, they have been referred to as "soft, wide brimmed, felt Boralinos). I've always wanted one, and I'm anxious to see how it will turn out.

The hats are due to be delivered around the second week in December. I'll post some photographs after they arrive.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
fiddletown said:
And they are making me up a terai (slouch hat -- the sort of thing robert Ruark was photographed in on safari -- in some of the books I've read, they have been referred to as "soft, wide brimmed, felt Boralinos). I've always wanted one, and I'm anxious to see how it will turn out.

The hats are due to be delivered around the second week in December. I'll post some photographs after they arrive.

Looking forward to seeing the pics. I've had Optimo re-build two Montecristis and do several re-sizes with new sweatbands - I can't imagine anyone doing better work. Some day I'll figure out my dream hat and order one from Graham.

norton

One of the Regulars
I received my first Optimo last week and have been wearing it every day since. Its a lightweight felt in moss. I will never again buy a hat without having the chance to try it on first and see myself in a mirror. The Optimo people are terrific to work with and will help you with every detail.

Neil

A-List Customer
True that

They are the best. It's remarkable how much better their finished product is than most, both in felt and straw (A few honorable exceptions, one in particular, do come to mind, but as a blanket statement, it's hard to argue).
If I was a rich man. . . tra-la-la-la-la-la-la-la-la-la-la-la-la-la-laaaaaa

daizawaguy

Call Me a Cab
norton said:
I will never again buy a hat without having the chance to try it on first and see myself in a mirror.

Could I ask, Sir, you did get the chance to try this one on, or in the future you want to try one on? How do you try on a custom before buying? Is this to do with the color, style, or size?

norton

One of the Regulars
I tried on a lot of hats. Tiffini found my size first on a monte christi, then asked what color. When I said brown we moved toward the back of the shop and she started pulling out brown hats. I picked out the moss and she showed me the different thicknesses other colors came in for comparison. Then she pulled a couple hats my size and we worked on dimensions, then ribbon and the binding on the edge. When we were done my hat was slightly different then anything else they had, but I had a really good idea how it would look when all done.

The most important aspect was how the dimensions would look on me but I was really surprised by size. When we were done I was told that I was a size 1/8 plus 1/32 larger than I had thought. Now I don't even feel the hat on my head.

daizawaguy

Call Me a Cab
Ah, understood, thanks. I have to say I confused your sumbission with the first, where a hat (or three) were ordered at the trunk show...apologies:eek:

fiddletown

New in Town
Thanks all for the responses.

bruce wayne said:
I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed yourself.
It's always been a great pleasure of mine to go through the process of having something of quality made for to my order. I had a grand time early this year ordering some boots made to measure by Russell Moccasins. And Graham was a pleasure to work with, and very knowledgeable.

farmerbaker said:
What colors did you choose?
I ordered fedoras in Canyon Gray, Neptune Blue, and a very dark brown Graham called Espresso. The terai is being done in Walnut.

He of course had samples in all the colors, and I'd try various sample on based on the colors I usually wear. We then selected the colors that seem to go best with my coloring.

We looked long and hard at Moss, and I might still add that to the assortment, or as a follow up order.

ScottF said:
...I can't imagine anyone doing better work. Some day I'll figure out my dream hat and order one from Graham.
I was certainly impressed. And as to figuring out a dream hat, I know that I can't settle on just one. In fact, I went in planning to order only one hat to start. That plan went out the window very quickly.

norton said:
...I received my first Optimo last week and have been wearing it every day since. Its a lightweight felt in moss....
That's a fine color.

Neil said:
...It's remarkable how much better their finished product is than most, both in felt and straw...
His finished samples were beautiful. I was in awe of the feel and finish of the felt. I have one of their Panamas I bought several years ago.

daizawaguy said:
...How do you try on a custom before buying? Is this to do with the color, style, or size?
For myself, I wore my favorite Borsalino. It's the basic style I've found suites me. So we worked from that as a starting point. We made some slight variations for variety, but I'm confident that everything will work for me. As to color, I was able to try on samples to see how the color of the hat would work with my coloring.

For size, we tried several in the neighborhood, plus he measured my head both with a tape and that contraption that fits on one's head and looks like something the Inquisition would use.

I guess we'll be seeing my new hats in about six weeks. In the meantime, I've got a bunch of old hats to go off to the local thrift shop (and the Borsalinos will go in for cleaning an blocking when the Optimos arrive).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran