Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Original A-2 Jacket: S.H. Knopf "No-Name" 42-18246-P, size 44

Juanito

One of the Regulars
I've acquired a number of jacket over the past few months and it is time to thin out the collection.

This is an original No-Name (S.H. Knopf) 42-18236-P A-2. The waist band and cuffs were replaced at one time with and accurate bi-weave cuff (I would say somewhat recently), as has the zipper which is an old cotton taped, Sunburst Talon, so I would guess the zipper was replaced long ago. The liner is original and has inked stamping in it. There are no needle holes from any insignia or name tag being removed.

The liner was separated somewhat at the neck, but has been hand sewn together. It is a tight, flexible, completely wearable jacket, if that i what you are looking for.

It is not a museum piece. The finish is very good over 90% of the jacket but is flaking in a couple of areas, namely the left shoulder of the sleeve. Please do not get me wrong--the leather is strong, the finish is just cracking. The are some minor dry spots on the jackets, namely on the lower underside of the sleeves, but in no way it is stiff or in any danger of cracking. I would imagine with a little wearing it would be soft. There is a small wear hole at the elbow of the left arm as shown in the photos.

All the snaps are fine as is the collar clip. It smells like nothing other than an aged leather jacket--no offensive odors. The lining is solid, but again, if has been sewn together in places at the neck.

Here are the measurements:
Shoulders: 18.5"
Back from base of collar to bottom of waistband: 24.5"
Across the back: 23"
Across the front: 24"
Windflap: 23.5"
Sleeve from epaulet to end of cuff 21.5"

Yes, the sleeves seem a bit short and may have been shortened when the replacement cuffs were sewn on. I suppose you can go Snuffy Smith style.

$750 shipped via USPS Priority mail anywhere in the US. While I would prefer to sell due to having too many jackets, I would be open to reasonable trades up or down for original or quality (read Eastman, Goodwear, Diamond Dave, or Aero) reproductions. Specifically, I am looking for a Star A-2 in and 44 or 46 in a reproduction or preferrably an original, but I an open to any A-2s.

While not a museum piece, it is a very solid, wearable A-2 for a very reasonable price.

I have more photos upon request from those seriously interested.

Last edited:

Juanito

One of the Regulars
Upon further inspection, it has been determined that the jacket is actually an original Poughkeepsie Leather Coat Co. A-2, given the characteristics of the large collar ring snaps, pocket shape, olive stitching, etc.

Given that the jacket is mis-labeled and is actually a Poughkeepsie with the Knopf tag, price is reduced to $595.

I received the jacket in trade and never really looked at it. Upon close inspection the label doesn't look hand sewn into the liner, it actually looks like the entire liner was replaced as evidenced by the stitching at the top of the liner. I would guess this was done when the zipper was replaced, but again, the history of the jacket is unknown. Why someone would remove the liner out of one original A-2 and sewn into another is beyond me, but I suppose stranger things have happened.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy