Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Original Cable Raincoat A2 size 44

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have been searching for a wearable all original Cable Raincoat A2 from the late 1941 ac 23382 contract for years. When one came up recently for sale I couldn't let it go as they are really quite rare, unlike the later no-name Cable 27753 contract. It is marked a 44 on the spec label and fits like a typical larger Wartime 44. The horse hide is in very good condition and there are no repairs or areas of significant wear. The lining is almost in pristine condition. The knits are in great condition with a few moth nips which have been repaired. It belonged to Lt P.E. Scott, who I have tried to trace without success so far. The kwik zipper works perfectly without any issues. Here are some photos which I took this afternoon. It has been conditioned with Pecards.
001-6.jpg

004-6.jpg

003-5.jpg

006-5.jpg

014-5.jpg

009-6.jpg

010-4.jpg

016-4.jpg

011-4.jpg

008-5.jpg

Last edited:

too much coffee

Practically Family
Exquisite Andrew...........just a wonderful original jacket.
When I saw Peter Graham's (VLJ) repro Cable A-2 in goat, for whatever reason, I thought Cable Raincoat only did their original A-2 in goatskin. I still have a lot to learn!

Thanks for posting the pics of a great looking jacket.

Regards,
coffee

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
An extraordinary jacket both to find and to own. Congratulations. And as always, thank you for being so generous with your time, photos, and knowledge!

aswatland

This first Cable contract was issued in a sequence of 7 contracts placed probably just before or immediately after the US entered the War in December 1941. The contracts start with ac23377-Perry, 23378-Monarch, 23379-Dubow, 23380-Roughwear, 23381-Cooper, 23382-Cable and 23383-No name, but identified as Fried Osterman. I own or have owned A2s from all of these contracts apart from the Dubow and Fried Osterman.

aswatland

Thanks for the kind words. I have never seen another size 44 Cable from this contract, which suggests how rare they are. They hardly ever come up for sale and are as rare as the Doniger, suggesting the original contract was probably for no more than 5,000 jackets, which was small compared with the orders of 20,000+ placed with Aero and Roughwear for example.

D

Deleted member 16736

Beautiful jacket. Where do you find these great jackets? I wonder if our jackets will look like that in 70 years.

aswatland

Thanks Joel. This jacket was bought from a seller in the USA. Most of my jacket come via a certain on-line auction site or through collector networks.

subject101

One of the Regulars
Hey Andrew;

Thanks for posting the pics :) I own the 23382 repro by Eastman leather. It's like watching my jacket but 50 years older and it looks way better. One of my favourite contracts, alongside the Werber contract.

aswatland

I agree, the ELC Cable repro is a very nice jacket as is the Werber, which I own. I do wonder what these jackets will be like in 70 years time!

The pics on the GW site of the A1 are drool-worthy. It's what got me interested in this jacket, and I truly hope John starts taking orders again. That gives me time to find the money for one :eeek:

aswatland

The pics on the GW site of the A1 are drool-worthy. It's what got me interested in this jacket, and I truly hope John starts taking orders again. That gives me time to find the money for one :eeek:

Are you sure this is posted in the right place as it refers to Ian's A-1?:confused:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy