Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Original Cyclist Jacket (Hartmann)

Kermit

Familiar Face
It is with great pleasure that I present you my very first original cyclist jacket.

It is in good condition for its age (about 80 years). The leather is very nice and soft. We can see the trace of some minor repairs... but overall it is a solid jacket. The zippers are from "Eclair" brand as often on this kind of jacket.

Well, we agree that this jacket is too small for me (but not so much if we refer to the 1940's fit pics) but I was expecting it and it's not that bad. I'm already having a lot of fun just looking at it.

The cut of the jacket is absolutely gorgeous ! I'll even say it's perfect for my body type... it's just a little too small.

Jacket dimensions :

Shoulder to shoulder : 44 cm (17.3 inch)
Armpit to armpit : 51 cm (20 inch)
Back length (from collar seam to bottom of jacket) : 53 cm (20.8 inch)
Sleeve length (outer curve) : 60 cm (23.6 inch)

Here are some pictures :

montage_01_petit.jpg

DSC_0067.jpg

DSC_0982.jpg

DSC_0993.jpg

DSC_0002.jpg

DSC_0992.jpg

DSC_0983.jpg

DSC_0995.jpg

Period photos :

56464657.JPG

$_586.JPG

Kermit

Familiar Face
Thank you !
These are already high waisted pants... but I think I need suspenders.

I just looked at the thread you linked. It's very interesting, Rabbit masters perfectly the matching of clothes with this type of jacket.

Last edited:

Kermit

Familiar Face
It's brilliant. I want one of these jackets so desperately! I am jealous.

Thanks dudewuttheheck
I've been looking for one for a long, long time...
And then I was very lucky. I went to a militaria auction site that I rarely visit, and I found this lot, the auction was ending in 2 hours. I bid, and I won ! And the price didn't go too high

This jacket is globally a bit too small (not much), but the problem is mainly in the sleeves (about 4 or 5 cm missing).

I thought of sending the jacket to Fivestar Leather to have a slightly larger copy made (I will provide all the material, "Eclair" zippers, buttons, NOS metal buckle)... but I'm a bit scared to send this rare jacket so far away, it's silly but I'm afraid that the package will get lost on the way... or that there will be some kind of problem during the transport.

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
Thanks dudewuttheheck
And then I was very lucky. I went to a militaria auction site that I rarely visit, and I found this lot, the auction was ending in 2 hours. I bid, and I won ! And the price didn't go too high

This jacket is globally a bit too small (not much), but the problem is mainly in the sleeves (about 4 or 5 cm missing).

I thought of sending the jacket to Fivestar Leather to have a slightly larger copy made (I will provide all the material, "Eclair" zippers, buttons, NOS metal buckle)... but I'm a bit scared to send this rare jacket so far away, it's silly but I'm afraid that the package will get lost on the way... or that there will be some kind of problem during the transport.
Well your patience paid off! If it were me, I wouldn't send it. I'd be too scared to lose it haha :D

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
Thanks dudewuttheheck

Talk to @MrProper. He did very well with 5*. Maybe there is a way to make a good copy at 5* just on the basis of detailed photos and measurements. It will be more work, but may be possible.

Kermit

Familiar Face
Talk to @MrProper. He did very well with 5*. Maybe there is a way to make a good copy at 5* just on the basis of detailed photos and measurements. It will be more work, but may be possible.
Oh yes, it's probably a great alternative.
I should even be able to draw a full size pattern of the different elements of the jacket, that I can send to Fivestars.

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Yes, with a lot of details and exact measurements, 5* will certainly get it right.
I had once sent a jacket and out came an exact 1:1 copy.
But I would not send a valuable jacket. The risk of loss would be too great for me.

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
5* cloned a jacket I sent them to a T. Mind it wasn’t a valuable jacket that they copied..

Kermit

Familiar Face
I will trust your advice and not send the jacket. Definitely too dangerous.
I will make a lot of detailed pictures, with all the possible measurements and I think to draw a pattern in real size of the different elements of the jacket, maybe with the help of paper that I will cut following the outline of each element... let's see.

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
Haha I had almost convinced myself that statistically it was very unlikely that there was a problem... but your message makes me doubt even more. :D
Statistically it is unlikely. You're not wrong. I don't want to talk you out of it

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner