Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Orvis goatskin

Creeping Past

One Too Many
If you like it, buy it. :)

A less pricey alternative way to go would be to ask Aero Leathers in Scotland if they can provide you with a custom goatskin jacket made to fit you.

Edward

Bartender
Mnn, yeah. I hear great things aboutg Orvis quality, but their prices are rather too rich for my blood. I'd haved suggested looking into the Aero long halfbelt, or similar. I have an Aero AN6552 in their goatskin, and it is a superb hide.

Fenton

Familiar Face
Edward said:
Mnn, yeah. I hear great things aboutg Orvis quality, but their prices are rather too rich for my blood. I'd haved suggested looking into the Aero long halfbelt, or similar. I have an Aero AN6552 in their goatskin, and it is a superb hide.

Hi Edward,

I'm planning on getting a summer-version of the highwayman in a lightweight hide. Hence I was thinking about goatskin - but I couldn't find goatskin as an option listed under Aero's 'other hides' section. Did you ask for goat or is it the standard hide on the AN6552? And what's the weight? Would it make a good jacket for the summer months?

Fenton

Cooperson

One Too Many
Fenton said:
Hi Edward,

I'm planning on getting a summer-version of the highwayman in a lightweight hide. Hence I was thinking about goatskin - but I couldn't find goatskin as an option listed under Aero's 'other hides' section. Did you ask for goat or is it the standard hide on the AN6552? And what's the weight? Would it make a good jacket for the summer months?

Fenton

Hi Fenton, I am having the same thoughts as you regarding a lighter weight jacket for the summer. I love my new Highwayman, but I will have to wait now until the weather turns cooler before I can wear it again. I would suggest you contact Amanda for some samples. She sent me some very nice smooth horse, jerky horse and seal goat. The seal goat was ultra light and quite stretchy, but I'm not sure how it would look made up into a highwayman. Either way, you can't beat getting your hands on the hide before you make a choice. Something to consider.

Cheers

Volpone

New in Town
Hello,
It's a good idea to ask for some samples fron AERO. I did that and it helped me to choose between the light leathers ... my mid-w HWM will reach soon ( about 2 wk ) ... I will post some pic's then.
Regards !
V.

bobjones

A-List Customer
Hi all. While I like some of Orvis' products, their leather jackets are not one of them. I had 3 and they did not hold up well at all. A suede one literally ripped apart in multiple places...plus they are all premium priced while made in China :mad: . To charge $1,000 or more and have it made there is beyond the pale, IMHO.

That being said, I have IMO the perfect lightweight goatskin leather jacket, and many consider the Baluchistan goat Flightsuits/Gibson & Barnes uses to be the best goat available, anywhere.

I refer to the G&B Expedition in dark seal goat, and while it is better known as an Indy jacket, on the street noone of course recognizes it as such (except for maybe COW members :eusa_doh:) and it is VERY lightweight. Compared to an Aero FQHH, it is probably equal in weight to a Highwayman's sleeve ;)

Anyway, G&B has stupendous customer service, are VERY nice people to work with, manufacture to military spec - their stitching is lifetime guaranteed, and is highly recommended. Even Mark Moye had one for sale in my size on his Ebay site recently.

When the temperature is 55 and below its Aero all the way, but above that, its my Expo...

Fenton

Familiar Face
Cooperson said:
Hi Fenton, I am having the same thoughts as you regarding a lighter weight jacket for the summer. I love my new Highwayman, but I will have to wait now until the weather turns cooler before I can wear it again. I would suggest you contact Amanda for some samples. She sent me some very nice smooth horse, jerky horse and seal goat. The seal goat was ultra light and quite stretchy, but I'm not sure how it would look made up into a highwayman. Either way, you can't beat getting your hands on the hide before you make a choice. Something to consider.

Cheers

thanks for the advice, Cooperson. I'll contact Amanda soon to get some of their leather samples for comparison. The seal goat sounds like a good option for a summer jacket ... will keep you guys updated

cheers

JLStorm

Practically Family
Sounds like you already made up your mind. Just figured I would share my opinion. Since I found that I could get superb custom made jackets from Aero for less than the factory made lesser quality jackets, I wont by an off the shelf jacket anymore. Heck, for that 1500 Orvis, you could get two nice Aeros.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80