Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Outerwear indoors

TheMarriedHermit

One of the Regulars
If it is not a funeral, wedding or a business meeting I wear what I want to wear. I wouldn’t give it second thougth to wear a light leather jacket indoors if that’s what I feel is my garment of choice for that occasion.
Or a court trial.

Sent from my LG-SP320 using Tapatalk

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
It's certainly approprate indoors in some circumstances, such as the following:
Weld.PNG

We have 400+ folks in the plant I work in doing something just like this. Just noted the article the photos came from is from a Textile fire resistance firm advertising thier products to be used in place of leather and suede.

As for other uses or in place of a blazer/sweater, not too likely in corporate casual or "smart casual" dress. For some help with this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smart_casual

But my leathers/wool/canvas and GoreTex jackets all get worn in and out of the office daily without issue. :)

nick123

I'll Lock Up
My fondest jacket memories have been indoors, on a bed, taking a nap in my suits of armor. :) As far as being in an indoor social setting, I suppose it's best to take it off but I suppose each setting has its own unwritten decorum or lack of. I avoid sitting at any table with food wearing a jacket.

dannyk

One Too Many
Not only setting but the jacket itself probably plays into it. A really nice hide and cut can probably be worn in place of a blazer in *some* situations. While wearing a black
Biker/perfecto style would look ridiculous.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Not only setting but the jacket itself probably plays into it. A really nice hide and cut can probably be worn in place of a blazer in *some* situations. While wearing a black
Biker/perfecto style would look ridiculous.

Totally. Though I think you could safely have tea with the Queen wearing a Ventura.

miglan30

Familiar Face
I wouldn't think twice about it at a bar for example. At my last position my boss kept the office like an icebox, so I would often keep my jacket on all day...but it was not a leather jacket. Had that been the only jacket available then yes, I hate being cold. Just depends on the situation and context.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
guess there won't be any umbrella answer for this question, our jacket style, the rest of our outfit, our indoor activity, people we're interacting with, our society perception of leather jacket are all different.
I won't wear leather jacket to formal event (=wedding) , I do wear them to birthday invitation, to church, and even to funeral since these events in our culture are much less formal people wear smart casual going out outfit for these events.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I frequently wear a leather jacket instead of a blazer and i wear it inside too. But I feel fortunate that I never need to wear a suit or anything more formal than corduroy pants. I have seen ties worn with nice Aero half-belts and such and they look fine to me.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I sometimes wear one my lighter leather jackets (lambskin Wested Raiders, Schott 654 - both simple, elegant designs) inside in cases where a blazer or sportscoat would have been more typical. For example, I wore the Wested to a dining-out group dinner at an Italian restaurant just a couple of weeks ago.

Hey, we're living in a wear-whatever-you-want era, and I'm a decidedly non-formal guy. Wearing a leather jacket inside doesn't even count as an affectation or faux pas anymore...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk