Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Overcoat on a budget?

BladeOfAnduril

One of the Regulars
Greetings! I'm looking for an overcoat, and was hoping that I could appeal to you all for some suggestions.

I'm on a budget, so I'd like to not spend more than $300 if possible.

I'm looking for:

• Chesterfield style (single breasted)
  • Gray or charcoal in color
  • Three-quarter length
  • 100% wool

Suggestions as to where I might find such an overcoat would be greatly appreciated!

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Dinerman's right, and you almost certainly won't find an all-wool new coat in that price range.

(I just looked into this... I ended up getting a nice charcoal single-breasted London Fog topcoat at Macy's in a post-Xmas sale for $99 [normally $300]... but it's only 60% wool.)

DavidJ

One of the Regulars
I found exactly what you're looking for, except it was double breasted. Thrift store find, fit me perfectly. That rarely happens, so I was ecstatic.

Mr Badger

Practically Family
Gotta third Dinerman & Doctor Strange on this, Ebay's the way to go – search "top coat", "overcoat" "over coat" and "wool coat" in succession, and buy the best condition one you can afford. Do pay attention to the sizing, especially if you want vintage – make sure you get measurements for everything and match 'em up with yer own...

BTW, with any overcoat, if you're going to wear an unstructured jacket or sweater underneath, then size-wise, buy as you would a normal jacket. However, should you be planning to wear anything with structured shoulders, such as a formal suit, then get someone to 'tape' you wearing it (across the tops of your shoulders & from the top of the suit arm to the end of its cuff) and add 2" to those measurements, then factor this into the hunt... doing this will mean that the overcoat's shoulders deffo won't be too tight to wear your 'biggest suit' underneath, and the suitcoat's arms won't stick out of the end the sleeves! :D

I just had to have the shoulder pads in a 1940s overcoat 'reduced' by a tailor – he did a great job replacing the whoppers with much smaller pads, and for only $30! Suffice to say, I didn't figure my finest suit's shoulders and suitcoat arm length into the equation! When I had it on underneath, the suitcoat sleeves poked out, and the 'pad-on-pad action' left the overcoat's shoulders stranded somewhere up around my ears! :eeek:

fashion frank

One Too Many
Greetings! I'm looking for an overcoat, and was hoping that I could appeal to you all for some suggestions.

I'm on a budget, so I'd like to not spend more than $300 if possible.

I'm looking for:

• Chesterfield style (single breasted)
  • Gray or charcoal in color
  • Three-quarter length
  • 100% wool

Suggestions as to where I might find such an overcoat would be greatly appreciated!

I don't know if they have a store called "savers" where people donate "gently used clothing" and people in turn buy some good although somewhat "dated" fashion trends ,but for people like my self who like vintage clothing it's a goldmine .

I recently bought this grey overcoat for $14.00 and all I had to do was have it dry cleaned.

DSCN1346.jpg

Then about a week later I found this one for #18.00

DSCN1515_zpseba6938e.jpg

DSCN1292.jpg

Now compare that to the two J.A.B 's coats that I bought ,both on sale ,the black one for $180.00 and the camel one for
$100.00 and they both feel light when held in the hand compared to the first coat I posted . In short if you like vintage wear ,save your dough and go to Savers or thrift stores ,just have a discerning eye when you go.

Hope that helps .

All the Best ,Fashion Frank

Last edited:

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Seems okay, if a bit busy and formless, but it's hard to tell how well it is made.
I'm with everyone else. I have some awesome overcoats (I know a woman who
will tell you I have too many) and never paid more than $300 for any of them
and some for less than $100. I'm a difficult size, too.

Stick to local thrift shops- you can examine them and try them on before buying.
Overcoats are easy to find in my experience. eBay can be great, too.

John J

Familiar Face
as Circuit rider said

Two words

THRIFT STORES!!! I found 3 (3/4 or full length) coats this year a 100% lambswool in solid charcoal made in Poland $18.95 very well made,

a charcoal and gray hounds tooth (old school longish) Italian fabric /coat made in Italy (tailor says it was a expensive one (hes from italy) 100% cashmere $18.95 .

this past Monday at the same salvation army I found a (my tailor thinks its late 50s early 60s) 100% cashmere coat made for a very high end fur /outerwear store that existed in the Albany NY area for many years that is no longer in Business . Navy Blue 100% Cashemere $10.00

I love Sally Rs (salvation army) Ive also scored a $1,600.00 hickey freeman suit, it was marked $36.95 but wed is 1/2 price day so $19.00, a new brooks brother black camel hair sport coat (pockets were not even opened yet) $12.95......

many more pieces had at similar prices. The key is be persistent and patrol often ( its a you should have bought it when ya saw it kind of thing.)

"John"

Last edited:

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
Guess you are looking for something like this?

DSC_0163_zpsab6e8031.jpg

DSC_0164_zps0fdeda4f.jpg

Charity shop buy, Austin Reed all wool made in England, probably from the 1970s, size 44 chest, £25.
No obvious wear points and no sweat stains in the armpit areas. I bought this to go to work in this winter, I will probably look better dressed than the boss.
This is the time of year when all the warm stuff comes out of the charity shops store if you dont mind second hand and that they are usually dead mans clothes.

DamianM

Vendor
If you are interested. Id be interested in letting loose of one of my overcoats.
Sadly its either dark navy blue or regular navy blue. both 1940s and in great shape. I could let one go for 35 dollars.
Pm me if you are interested.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner