Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Oxford Bags

GHT

I'll Lock Up
pinstripe OxBags1.jpg
These lightweight summer Oxford Bags caught my eye on Some Like It Holy. https://www.somelikeitholy.com/cream-italian-pinstripe-fine-wool-oxford-bags-p-245.html
Unfortunately my size is sold out.
pin stripe fabric 001.JPG pin stripe fabric 003.JPG
By chance Tina came across this fabric, not an exact copy but still eye catching. Looks like there's another pair of Oxford Bags in the pipeline.

Attachments

• pin stripe fabric 001.JPG
    pin stripe fabric 001.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 69
  • pin stripe fabric 002.JPG
    pin stripe fabric 002.JPG
    255.6 KB · Views: 78
  • pin stripe fabric 003.JPG
    pin stripe fabric 003.JPG
    175.5 KB · Views: 71

Edward

Bartender
View attachment 422132
These lightweight summer Oxford Bags caught my eye on Some Like It Holy. https://www.somelikeitholy.com/cream-italian-pinstripe-fine-wool-oxford-bags-p-245.html
Unfortunately my size is sold out.
View attachment 422143 View attachment 422145
By chance Tina came across this fabric, not an exact copy but still eye catching. Looks like there's another pair of Oxford Bags in the pipeline.

Gurkha style waistband on those is an interesting feature. When they first appear, I wasn't so sure of the look of some of the stuff on the SLIH site, but folks I know who have actually encountered the stuff in person speak highly of it. The main limitation on their range for a long time was that they were limited to trousers and waistcoats, though I see they have started to introduce a couple of jacket models now, which is encouraging. Nice to see more repro stuff beginning to come on the menswear market.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
There was a time when I shared your misgivings, Edward. But having met two of the fellows and buying a couple of spearpoint shirts from them I have had a change of heart.

Have you noticed though when a product proves very popular and sells out, for some reason traders never seem to meet the demand, I guess they fear being stuck with a load of stock.

I have found that time and again though, I wanted some more shoes from Simon, same thing, sorry, sold out.

Edward

Bartender
There was a time when I shared your misgivings, Edward. But having met two of the fellows and buying a couple of spearpoint shirts from them I have had a change of heart.

Have you noticed though when a product proves very popular and sells out, for some reason traders never seem to meet the demand, I guess they fear being stuck with a load of stock.

I have found that time and again though, I wanted some more shoes from Simon, same thing, sorry, sold out.

I suppose it's the same old difficulty - for all those of us who have fixed preferences and want another of the same when one wears out, there are always going to those who are happy with one and on the the next thing - I can see restocking sometimes being a risky move in a small, niche market. It is frustrating, though, when established companies don't seem to bother with more runs of popular product. Rocket Originals I've bought some great shoes from over the years, but so often now their men's range just seems to shrink and shrink, always the same old "we do small and exclusive runs, once it's gone it's gone" sales spiel, but rarely new models to replace the old. Of course they will know their market better than me, but it is frustrating when the whole reason I turned to repro in the first place was as a reliable source of good condition in the styles I want to wear.... Cathcart I think are getting closer developing staples, though I know footwear is a huge headache, moreso than any other clothes, for returns, sizing and such for so many businesses, so I suppose I can see why they don't want to risk big runs. I still want a couple of pairs of the original SJC spectator shoe shape in an all-leather, Winter version with a Dainite sole, though....

GHT

I'll Lock Up
half belt jacket.jpg

Cathcart's half belt, pleated jacket on this suit is something that I have taken a shine to. The pockets are particularly impressive. Tina, my wife, has given me a newspaper feature that she has kept among her paper patterns. Called: "Fashion on the Ration," it features a wartime, as in WW2, jacket and is a reprint from the original advertisement. The jacket similar to SJC's one above, but the one in the feature has double pleats on the pockets.

Tomorrow I have an appointment with my tailor, not for a suit though, just the jacket. I will wear it, blazer style with contrasting trousers. An appointment on a Good Friday, when I was a long haired student I sang, rather drunkenly, along with others, a rather bawdy ditty that went: "It's Good Friday. It's good anyday!" Enough of that, it wasn't me, just some long haired, immature, uncouth lout, with a lot of growing up to do.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner