Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pairing saddle shoes with a suit

Which color shoe with a navy suit? (Per my outlined dilemma in the post)

• Cream with Brown Saddle

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Black half-boot (Safe and technically correct color)

• Ugly, too big, but right color Cognac half-boot (Look smashing from a distance!)

• Total voters

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
maggiethespy said:
Is wearing saddle shoes with suit equivalent to wearing converse Chucks with a suit? Because David Tennant made a career out of that...

One swallow does not a summer make. One person in a television series about a time-traveling alien doesn't (thank goodness!) make it right for everyone else, any more than one woman in the 40s (and Milton Berle in the 50s) wearing a fruit-covered turban make that a proper look for the masses.

Macheath

One of the Regulars
Mike in Seattle said:
One person in a television series about a time-traveling alien doesn't (thank goodness!) make it right for everyone else, any more than one woman in the 40s (and Milton Berle in the 50s) wearing a fruit-covered turban make that a proper look for the masses.

I'm sure Maggie's mention of the Doctor was no defense for wearing chucks (or anything chuck-like) with a suit. I think we all know better than to take style cues from a time-traveling alien, however charming he may be.

I do wonder what you guys think of it when the colors are reversed:

sadde.jpg

Still sportier than actual spectators, I agree, but not entirely disagreeable, IMO (now, I understand that "not disagreeable" may not exactly be what we strive for when we put an ensemble together, but what I mean is I wouldn't hold it against anybody who chooses to pair THOSE with a suit).

Bourbon Guy

A-List Customer
Macheath said:
...not entirely disagreeable...

Yes, it is. It doesn't matter how many different color combinations you try, or how many times you ask the question. The answer will still be the same: saddle shoes do not go with a suit. Ever. Under any circumstances. Regardless of the color. The only possible exception would be when you are wearing both a big red nose and boxers on your head, but even then the saddle shoes should be at least 6 sizes too large.

But... but... but... No.

No.

Feraud

Bartender
Bourbon Guy said:
Yes, it is. It doesn't matter how many different color combinations you try, or how many times you ask the question. The answer will still be the same: saddle shoes do not go with a suit. Ever. Under any circumstances. Regardless of the color. The only possible exception would be when you are wearing both a big red nose and boxers on your head, but even then the saddle shoes should be at least 6 sizes too large.

But... but... but... No.

No.

If repetitive insults don't work you can always beat your opinion into the guy.. :rolleyes:

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
I can't bring myself to vote.
Saddles and Cubans and Square Toes - Oh My!

1 pair black cap toe oxfords and 1 pair dark brown plain toe oxfords will cover anyone for almost any formal situation. Saddles are business casual at best (assuming darker color saddles), cuban heels don't look good on anyone, and square toes should be left in 1992.

Bourbon Guy said:
Yes, it is. It doesn't matter how many different color combinations you try, or how many times you ask the question. The answer will still be the same: saddle shoes do not go with a suit. Ever. Under any circumstances. Regardless of the color. The only possible exception would be when you are wearing both a big red nose and boxers on your head, but even then the saddle shoes should be at least 6 sizes too large.But... but... but... No. No.
So far I hear it doesn't but not to the reason WHY? [huh]

I will continue is spite of your rant, actually because of your rant my wish to do so is re-enforced... :eek:

I never liked clowns so I am not wearing the red nose.

Emoticon of a middle finger flipping here ! :D

Bourbon Guy

A-List Customer
Lefty said:

1 pair black cap toe oxfords and 1 pair dark brown plain toe oxfords will cover anyone for almost any formal situation. Saddles are business casual at best (assuming darker color saddles), cuban heels don't look good on anyone, and square toes should be left in 1992.

Could not agree more. :eusa_clap

Bourbon Guy

A-List Customer
John in Covina said:
So far I hear it doesn't but not to the reason WHY? [huh]

Because saddle shoes were originally athletic shoes, but eventually became popular as casual shoes, much like other special purpose shoes such as tennis shoes, basketball shoes, and topsiders. They can't be made into dress shoes, any more than a sweat shirt is worn with a tie. Yes, I know the classic preppy look is topsiders, chinos, blue oxford shirt, blue blazer, and school tie. But that is a school uniform. Of course anyone can wear anything he wants, no one is going to arrest you (well, except in Florida).

Mac's original query was: "I was under the impression that saddle shoes have about the same level of formality as wingtips, but I'd like to be corrected if I'm mistaken. In any case, I'd like to know if you guys think this would be appropriate to wear with a navy suit."

I have never before heard it suggested that wingtips and saddle shoes are at the same level of formality, and wearing a brown and cream saddle with a dark navy suit? Really, John?

Not meaning to be insulting, but askling the same question multiple times does not change the answer. Perhaps I didn't put enough of these in my responses: :) :) :)

Edward

Bartender
Macheath said:
I wouldn't discount wearing these with a dark suit though:

reverse.JPG

They're still saddle shoes, but the white saddles make them spectator-esqe

I can see where you're going with that....

Bourbon Guy said:
Wearing your underwear on the outside of your clothing is the next big thing. Or, preferably, on your head.

Heh, I'm ahead of that curve. Every year, my Santa sack used to contain at least one pair of underwear... and every year, I stuck 'em on my head. Made my mother laugh. :)

Son_of_Atropos said:
Off-topic:

Rookie question: May one wear black shoes with a medium to dark brown suit.

Only if it looks good. ;)

maggiethespy said:
Is wearing saddle shoes with suit equivalent to wearing converse Chucks with a suit?

It seems, at least as far as some are concerned, it's equally as great a crime. lol The Tennant-Who look would be a modern equivalent, I should think.... though I personally think it would have been much preferable had he worn the saddles. I did the converse / suit thing back in my early-mid teens - think late 80s / early 90s - but I'm not much a fan nowadays. Saddles shoes I like a lot (though don't have any yet). Where I can see them being a big advantage - if we can get past the "four legs good, two legs bad" school of thought (this from a guy who considered himself terribly gauch for breaking out the spectators on 16th March.... lol ) for a minute - is in toning down the formality of a suit and tie in some situations. It's amazing how big an impact on the overall outfit the choice of shoe can have. While I personally favour always dressing well, I do think there are social circumstances where overdressing might be a faux pas, most particularly at gatherings where one's own formality might be taken as a slight on the lack thereof on the part of one's hosts.

Lefty said:
1 pair black cap toe oxfords and 1 pair dark brown plain toe oxfords will cover anyone for almost any formal situation.

Agreed.

Saddles are business casual at best (assuming darker color saddles),

...which in the context of the original post didn't seem too far out of place.... (though I agreee the botos as worn worked better).

cuban heels don't look good on anyone,

I'll let you take on the cowboys yourself (though I quite agree... lol ).

and square toes should be left in 1992.

I tend to prefer a fairly rounded toe (hate winkle pickers), though I did recently fall in with a pair of Italian hand-made wing-tip spectators in black and white, which have a fairly square toe. Given I paid buttons for them on eBay and they are a beautiful and comfortable shoe, I'm quite happy to overlook that they aren't quite the perfect shape. :)

Macheath

One of the Regulars
Bourbon Guy said:
I have never before heard it suggested that wingtips and saddle shoes are at the same level of formality, and wearing a brown and cream saddle with a dark navy suit?

So I was wrong about wingtips and saddles. This is the first that it's been pointed out. That would have been the end of it for me, had someone made the point sooner.

I did concede to the brown and cream saddles being a bad pair with navy, which is why I went with black. The heart of my question was cream and brown as an alternative to tan (although the fact that they were colors in a saddle oxford apparently made an even bigger difference, which I admit I couldn't see then), and obviously
cream+brown does not = tan.

Bourbon Guy said:
Not meaning to be insulting, but askling the same question multiple times does not change the answer. Perhaps I didn't put enough of these in my responses: :) :) :)

I appreciate your help in pointing me in the right direction, but like John said, this is the first we've heard as to why the answer to Saddle Shoes + Suit=NO. Obviously, this isn't as clear cut as it may seem to some, since quite a few people voted for the saddle oxfords.

Lefty said:

The square-toed shoes were obviously a dummy choice.

As for cuban heels, I don't see just what it is that's wrong with them. But then, I'm a midget, and I'll take heels in any form.

I do own exactly one pair of brown cap-toes, but they were at the cobbler's at the time. I had to work with what I had stashed away in boxes from the wonder years.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Macheath said:
As for cuban heels, I don't see just what it is that's wrong with them. But then, I'm a midget, and I'll take heels in any form.

I'm not against wearing boots, most of which will have a heel that gives you a bit of height.

This heel, however, looks is respectable,

b543nwhside400.gif

while this one is more suited to Antonio Banderas.

b500cch400.gif

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic