Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Panama Hat advice please

UrbanAristocrat

New in Town
I did a Fedora LOunge search on this topic but haven't come up with a primer on Panama hats. The only info I have is from "The Indispensible Guide to Classic Men's Clothing" (my bible, after Flusser's "Dressing the Man"!). If anyone has any advice to add (e.g. reputable makers, different types, bleached versus natural straw) I would appreciate it!

Panama
The Panama is simply a straw hat with a crown, brim and, usually, a ribbon. Genuine Panama hats, despite their name, are made in Ecuador. And although they are called “straw” hats, they are made of a type of palm that grows in Central and South America. All Panama hats are hand woven. “The finer the weave, the higher the quality,” says Mr. Baum [manager of Worth & Worth]. The quality is discerned from the suppleness of the straw and the fineness of the weave; the finer woven hats are made from the thinner strands of palm. The edge of a well-made brim is woven; a brim on a lesser quality Panama is folded over and sewn down over itself . . . Panamas often have black ribbon, said by London hatmakers Lock & Co. to date back to the mourning of the death of Queen Victoria. But Panamas are also made with ribbons of brown or other colors, or with no ribbon. Some Panamas are made with a ridge along the top from front to back, which allows them to be safely folded then rolled, for convenience while traveling.

Montecristi
The Montecristi is a type of Panama, but of craftsmanship so exquisite it deserves special attention. All Montecrisits are hand-made in the Ecuadorian village that gave them their name. Good Montecristis can cost as much as a good suit. They are distinguished by the very small, fine weave of the palm, and are extraordinarily supple, yet durable.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Ask Sharpetoys

One of our members, Sharpetoys, collects Montecristi Panama hats and is quite knowledgable.

Also PanamaBob can help you with any questions quite well.

UrbanAristocrat

New in Town
scotrace said:
One of our members, Sharpetoys, collects Montecristi Panama hats and is quite knowledgable.

Also PanamaBob can help you with any questions quite well.

Thanks for the tip. Is PanamaBob a retailer? How can I get in touch with him/them?

GA Wildlifer

Familiar Face
Caveat Emptor

I recently ordered a montecristi for dress and a cuenca for everyday wear. Beware, there are a lot of people selling hype more than hats. Sharpetoys and Panama Bob gave me a thorough introduction to Panama hats. I' haven't tried it, but I bet you could find quite a bit of information if you search on montecrisiti or cuenca.

Robert

RedPop4

One Too Many
You can find a great deal. Know that if you do an internet search, you're going to get Brent Black's site in the first two or three hits, no matter which engine you use. Not that it's a bad site, it is quite informative in many respects.

Make certain to read Panama Bob's site too, and a few others. The Montecristi story in quite interesting. I'm waiting with bated breath for my Panama Bob hat right now.:) :)

UrbanAristocrat

New in Town
Thanks!

Thanks everyone! I have read through Panama Bob's site, Brent Black's site and Panamas.biz (suggested in a PM sent to me) and I will be following up with Sharpetoys to get recommendations on sellers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80