Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Panama hat questions?

guillaumeb

One of the Regulars
Hat creaking : what can I do ?

I got this brand new Panama hat.

I received it yesterday.
However, it seems to be "creaking" a lot.
I steamed it gently and spray water on it.
It is a bit better but the straw does not seem as flexible as on my other Panama hats which are astonishingly silent

Is this a problem ? Is the straw too dry ? I'm afraid it could break
I would naturally put some sort of cream on it, like sun protection, but I don't know if this is a good idea

Hat creaking : what can I do ?

I got this brand new Panama hat.

I received it yesterday.
However, it seems to be "creaking" a lot.
I steamed it gently and spray water on it.
It is a bit better but the straw does not seem as flexible as on my other Panama hats which are astonishingly silent

Is this a problem ? Is the straw too dry ? I'm afraid it could break
I would naturally put some sort of cream on it, like sun protection, but I don't know if this is a good idea
Ha, and I thought I had come across everything to do with hats! Have never heard of a 'creaking' hat. How much did you pay for it?

guillaumeb

One of the Regulars
It was around 80€. it's a mid quality regular toquilla hat
It's like there is a noise when I press the brim downward for instance, as if the straw was a bit dry.
A bit like when you sit o sorrel chair (well obviously less creaky than that)

It was around 80€. it's a mid quality regular toquilla hat
It's like there is a noise when I press the brim downward for instance, as if the straw was a bit dry.
A bit like when you sit o sorrel chair (well obviously less creaky than that)
80euro is really a low end panama. I would just wear the heck out of it and when it is worn out shop around and buy a higher quality one. Or if you take long hot showers that create a lot of steam bring the hat into the bathroom (not the shower itself) and create a high humidity environment. If that does not work then just get used to the creaks. Or stop pressing the brim downward.

guillaumeb

One of the Regulars
80euro is really a low end panama. I would just wear the heck out of it and when it is worn out shop around and buy a higher quality one. Or if you take long hot showers that create a lot of steam bring the hat into the bathroom (not the shower itself) and create a high humidity environment. If that does not work then just get used to the creaks. Or stop pressing the brim downward.

OK Fine then
Then should I have a cheap Panama, i'd rather play around with it and test stuff.
it surely won't sound outrageous if i ask you how I could achieve a distressed style like the photo below for a cheap panama hat :
Screenshot 2023-07-21 at 11.30.26.png

I know crazy people burn fur felt hats !
But how do you achieve fake stains on a Panama hat ?

milandro

A-List Customer
I think you can spray paint it using masking pieces of paper held between the paint source and the hat or use some diluted water paint or ink on a piece of rag and then apply in the areas of your liking.....

that is IF you like that sort of thing ( and you can buy them pre-distressed already)

OK Fine then
Then should I have a cheap Panama, i'd rather play around with it and test stuff.
it surely won't sound outrageous if i ask you how I could achieve a distressed style like the photo below for a cheap panama hat :
View attachment 533996

I know crazy people burn fur felt hats !
But how do you achieve fake stains on a Panama hat ?
No, I have no idea. It does seem to be the style rage these days so if you look around you may find a video showing how to do it. To me, as a hat maker, it approaches blasphemy.

shopkin

New in Town
Option One: Mist it with something that will leave an organic residue as it dries. Many things will work, like milk, your sweat, WD-40, etc. Then, use a hot air gun to gently oxidize the stuff without scorching the straw.

Option Two: Wear it often while doing hard work and living an honest life.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner