Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Panama hats pictures and discussion

Cosmo

New in Town
I am in sunny Arizona and I cant do felt often so I want a good quality panama. I have NO IDEA where to even begin to buy one or know if I am getting a good one or being sold crap for too much money. I am currently in email dialogue with Panama Bob (Robert) and he seems to be a very super nice guy that I feel I can trust. That said, can we get some pics of your panama hats and commentary and who, what, where, when and how?

I just need the skinny on panama hats basically. I need to keep it around 200-300 dollars largely due to the fact that all my liquid cash is tied up in commercial RE venture and I dont want to break the bank before I get that venture movin and shaken so I want a good quality hat for about that price and something that will stand up to casual wear in the Arizona heat.

Help a brother out here guys.

Oh BTW, this is my first post, I found this wonderful place while researching panama hats!

lewisskimonster

Familiar Face
Greetings
You are headed in the right direction. Robert is well respected here on the lounge, and he has lots of hats that will ship from Indiana, so you should get it fast if he has what you want. Another option is Panama Hats Direct. This spring I ordered a hat from Casey at Panama hats direct. I wanted a fino quality, and it took about 3 1/2 weeks to have it made. I believe it was another 10-12 days for it to arrive from Panama. Shipping charges from Panama run 35 bucks, so that could be a consideration. It arrived in perfect shape, and I could not be happier with it. It gets lots of compliments when I wear it. I recently wore it when I picked up a custom made felt hat, and the hatter was impressed with the weave quality. I am not savy about picture posting, but they have lots of pictures on their website. Hope this helps some, and good luck panama hunting!

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
can we get some pics of your panama hats and commentary and who, what, where, when and how?....I just need the skinny on panama hats basically.
Why don't you go to the mountain rather than it coming to you....there's a myriad of info/photos in the FL archives, just dive in. ;)

Cosmo

New in Town
Why don't you go to the mountain rather than it coming to you....there's a myriad of info/photos in the FL archives, just dive in. ;)

Well I have been trying to do just that and spent most of my morning looking for a good panama hat thread and didnt find much of anything. I guess I dont have the search criteria down properly for this forum yet, believe me I didnt start the thread out of laziness I have been reading threads here for a few weeks as a lurker but didnt find what I wanted to know about panamas, sure there are plenty of websites and videos but I much prefer to hear the comments from people who actually bought them and wear them, so here I am!

Thanks for all the info above, very helpful indeed.

It just seems like there is a lot of bulllshit out there regarding panama hats, I have seen websites claim that there are only TEN panama hat weavers left in the world and its a dying skill/trade so you better hurry and buy from us now before its too late. That is just straight up bulllshit hence my desire to talk to real people who buy and wear these hats.

Cosmo

New in Town

See that is what I am talking about, real people wearing real hats in real pictures, thats how you learn about panamas, you look at and talk to the everyday Joe who wears them!

Terrific! Thank you, my searches didnt pull those threads in and I dont know why, I think I need to use google and type in the lounge after my keyword perhaps that will work better. Thanks again though thats good stuff, I believe one should be well informed before going out among the money changers!

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Thanks again though thats good stuff, I believe one should be well informed before going out among the money changers!
And if after perusing the various Panama hat threads you still have any specific questions you can pose them in this thread.

JonnyO

A-List Customer
Cosmo, what size hat do you wear? I have an awesome Panama that doesn't fit me or the Upstate NY weather.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR