Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Park service hat reuse?

I can't imagine that anyone who ever saw me wearing those old U.S. Navy-issue flannel bellbottoms would have thought I was impersonating a sailor. Any person who may have considered my donning the pants a sign of disrespect would have been entirely mistaken as to my intent. I just dug the way they looked. Still do. I also like cop shirts (some of 'em, anyway), USAF-issue flight jackets and certain pieces of priestly attire. The list goes on.

Jedwbpm

One Too Many
I think it's fine as long is there is no insignia or the such. Have been in the fire service myself. Most don't care if you wear a fire department ball cap or t-shirt. It's the Maltese cross that is a no, no. Should be worn by firefighters and family memebers only.

As a member of the Knights of Malta I wear my Maltese Cross at appropriate times.
$(KGrHqV,!h0E-jycwQ5hBPy7TzRrP!~~60_57.JPG

Jeff

TipTop

Practically Family
I've wanted one of these for years and just won this vintage one off of ebay. I paid a little more than I wanted to but the fact that it has "Premium Beaver" imprinted on the sweatband inclined me to bid a little more. But I've been wondering, since it has USNPS imprinted on the leather band, is it going to be legal for me to wear? I know we have some law enforcement gentleman here on the lounge, what say you?? I'm thinking that as long as I don't wear a brown shirt thats looks like I'm trying to impersonate a forest ranger I should be okay.
If anyone knows about the legality of wearing one of these please let me know. Here's the pics. It even comes with the original box.

rangerhat1.jpg

rangerhat3.jpg

rangerhat4.jpg

fedoralover

Complete your costume with this from Orvis.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Some older models of the style, for reference.

I like this type of hat, very much an early boss of the plains style, but with detailing closer to what current issue is (the acorns, the grommets, etc), I'd be more hesitant to wear it. But that's just me. Give me one open crowned with a non uniform tooled leather band of that same type and I'd probably wear it all over.

IMG_3615.jpg

IMG_3619.jpg

IMG_3622.jpg

IMG_2981.jpg

IMG_2983.jpg

IMG_2987.jpg

Oldsarge

One Too Many
The hat bands are not government issue. Park rangers and docent/interpreters buy them from a supply house. The person who bought it sold it. You bought it. It's yours. Wear it with respect and in confidence.

I wonder if the hats are goverment issued to the employees and what brand they are issuing?
Surly the bankrupt goverment is not giving away free stentsons to its employees. Just wondering.

Jeff, what is the circa date on your hat?

TIA
Best regards
CCJ

SHOWSOMECLASS

A-List Customer
I would say wearing a full uniform of any kind w/ in its specific jurisdiction is inappropriate. For example, a military uniform worn on a govt. base or a DNR/Parks uniform in a state park.
But wearing a part of a uniform, such as a hat or jacket to the store or around town should not misrepresent you or the group for which it is issued and worn.
For example:I have noticed people wearing a fire dept. T-shirt, a military camo. fatigue or a sheriffs ball cap.
I realize many honor their friends or family who are such, by wearing a part of their uniform as a tribute.

Last edited:

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
$134 isn't bad for a fur felt hat that's going to last years and years. You'd prefer they issue $40 wool felts and have to replace them every time it rains?

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
I got mine in the mail last week. It came in the original box with the postmark of Sept. 30th 1971 and it had these logos on the sweatband. The felt is in unworn condition. It really is an awesome hat.

fedoralover
rangerhat2.jpg

rangerhat.jpg

leo

One of the Regulars
Random observations (based in part on street cop as well as international police training careers):

When wearing that hat in a park, expect to get questions from tourists who are lost or want to know the best time to see the bears ;-)

Simply wearing the hat without other related indicators or behaviors is not likely to constitute a criminal offense.

Police affinity clothing, while popular with friends, family, and fans is generally avoided by the veteran street cop when in public. Often we can recognize the rookies, part-timers, wannabes, or those who work in friendlier communities than I did, simply by their clothing choices. Even new undercover cops have to learn. Last year, I picked out a plainclothes federal agent on an overseas flight based on his clothing brands. We had a good chat, but he never asked how I knew.

Many law enforcement "uniforms" seem to have gone increasingly casual in the manner of business dress in recent years. I guess I'm a bit old school but a polo shirt, jeans, and no hat does not seem to the the best choice to direct traffic on a dark and stormy night.

Exactly. Otherwise any and all re-enactors wearing uniform, fancy dress party-goers, etc. etc., would be caught in the legal net. Intent is what counts.

Fedoralover, at least in North Carolina, it would be legal for you to wear your Smokey Bear hat as long as you are not trying to impersonate an employee of the National Park Service. I think the applicable Federal Law is about the same. You get into to some pretty sticky 1st Amendment issues when you start enacting legislation that proscribes symbolic dress. As a result, most such statutes proscribe the conduct of impersonation as opposed to outlawing the wearing of specific symbols or articles of clothing.

AF

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
When wearing that hat in a park, expect to get questions from tourists who are lost or want to know the best time to see the bears ;-)

...Last year, I picked out a plainclothes federal agent on an overseas flight based on his clothing brands. We had a good chat, but he never asked how I knew.

Many law enforcement "uniforms" seem to have gone increasingly casual in the manner of business dress in recent years. I guess I'm a bit old school but a polo shirt, jeans, and no hat does not seem to the the best choice to direct traffic on a dark and stormy night.

Hi

I'll take these in order. I wore a suit when I worked Engineering Open house at college. I had a walkie-talkie, half the kids thought I was Law Enforcement. Look remotely official, people will assume you know what they want to know.

I would have thought that the sky cops would have been better trained than to be obvious. You don't wear Walmart brands in First Class. You should be wearing business clothing in a comfortable "after the meeting / happy hour" sort of way.

The polo shirt with an embroidered badge really gripes me. Ted Bundy killed at least one victim wearing a police wind breaker. If I get arrested, I'll go a lot more quietly if the guys are in a real police uniform with a real badge etc. I can buy a polo shirt and get it embroidered. Jeez.

later

Herzen

One of the Regulars
Cleaning out a closet the other day I came across my uniform hats from a gig with the NPS years ago, and what with my recent weight loss and all they actually fit again! Any suggestions for ways to reuse these? And I know that I cannot wear the NPS hat band, so I'd welcome any hat band/ribbon options as well!
e7e0a44a1b1df8a581c16a581c6b06d3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy