Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Passe' words and phrases

Panache

A-List Customer
Down2BDapper said:
Sometimes I say "Jake", as in "Everything was Jake and you went and screwed it up."

I often use the phrase "Everything is Jake" only to receive odd looks.

My favorite vintage phrase is "When Hector was a pup"

Often said to blank stares or bewildered expressions

Oh Well!

Cheers

Jamie

Dexter'sDame

One of the Regulars
Yowza! Too many to mention

All used on a regular basis, usually when talking to my sister, who uses them as well (thanks to TCM and "I Love Lucy"):

"NOW you're in the soup..." (paraphrasing the maid's line from The Women)

"Oh, that's all, brother..."

(self-mockingly) "Ain't I just the cat's pyjamas?"

"Oh Geez Louise..."

shenanigans

"Yikes!"

(dripping with sarcasm) just peachy

Reserved for the worst of the worst and said with a voice full of venom when only calling someone an expletive will do but you think better of it: "Well that was just lousy of him..."

and my favorite expletive replacement, "Rats!!!"

edited due to typo: Rats!!!

Down2BDapper

Familiar Face
Panache said:
I often use the phrase "Everything is Jake" only to receive odd looks.

My friends are so used to me saying that that the other day they asked me what the opposite of "Jake" would be. I didn't know what to tell them so I said "Harvey". Makes as much sense. [huh]

Talbot

One Too Many
tuppence said:
I still go to the video store

We also had a childrens' song about the gay life of a Kookaburra(bird) that is no longer heard in Kindergartens.

Kookaburra sits in the old gum tree,
Merry merry king of the bush is he,
Laugh kookaburra laugh,
How gay your life must be.

Takes me back to 1965, Grade 2, Mentone.

It won't be out of my head all day. Isn't that just tickety boo....

Perhaps I can nudge it out with the 'Wild West Show'

Flivver

Practically Family
staggerwing said:
I had to laugh about "crank" the car. A young man I know who lives in west GA, right next to the Alabama line, was working on an old car one day when i paid his family a visit. What's wrong?" I asked.

"Won't crank," was his terse answer. I whent inside. A while later, I heard the engine roar to life and a few minutes later this young man walked in.

"Fix it?" I asked.

"Yea, it crunk!" was his answer.

Actually, it is technically correct to use the word "crank" to describe what the starter motor does to the engine.

It's still common usage in shop manuals to say, for example, "engine won't crank".

But I've never heard anyone say "crunk".

Flivver

Practically Family
LizzieMaine said:
That's what I grew up with, and still use. We had dinner at noon, and supper at night.

We also used "supper" for the evening meal...and I still do!

But down here, dinner was used only on Sundays to describe the supper-like meal served mid-day...as in "Sunday dinner".

On the other six days, we called the noontime meal "lunch".

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Sometimes my wife calls the MIDDAY meal supper. What? "She's not from these parts." Well, she's not from America at all.

Talbot

One Too Many
Tom and George - are they Jake?

Wasn't there something back in the bobbysox era about Tom and George?

George being something good and Tom the opposite.

I have a Stan Freberg recording of him taking off the Johny Ray song 'Cry' - he sings "Sit down and have yourself a cry, its real George to try"

Anyone?

MikeBravo

One Too Many
"She'll be Jake" is the usual full expression I've heard and used

Haven't heard "When Hector was a pup", usually uses the name Moses

Though am familiar with "Since Jesus played full forward for Jerusalem". Full forward is an Australian Rules Football player position.

MikeBravo

One Too Many
galopede said:
Best not come to Gloucestershire then!

It's usually going to the "bog", the "khasi", the "loo". "Can I use the toilet" is a regular from guests.

The best I've heard was earlier this year from my 25 year old daughter who organises music festivals for a living. I was with her in the makeshift office the day before a folk festival when she looked out of the window and said "Good ho, the TURDISES have arrived!":eek:

Any Doctor Who fans will see the simliarity with Portaloos, portable toilets!

Gareth

Or more simply "Going for a slash". More an English work, I believe but can't say for sure

Macheath

One of the Regulars
Sydney Loren said:
I use that one too. :D
Women are broads, men are gents.

I always use "broads" or "dames" when with my guy friends, and they get a kick out of that.

One I feel I should use more is "baloney". Vile stuff if you're talking about the sausage, but cool used as an expression of incredulity.

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
Macheath said:
I always use "broads" or "dames" when with my guy friends, and they get a kick out of that.

One I feel I should use more is "baloney". Vile stuff if you're talking about the sausage, but cool used as an expression of incredulity.

"Bananna Oil!" and "Horse Feathers!" a also work well in this context.

when something is just dandy, I have been known to call it the "Snakes' Hips". A sweet young thing might call it simply "Snakey". he more commonly heard "Bees' Knees" is also appropriate here.

How many of you get the bottle of milk out of the "icebox"? Or the "Frigidaire"?, or, as I have very occasionally heard, the "Refrigidaire"?

ortega76

Practically Family
vitanola said:
"Bananna Oil!" and "Horse Feathers!" a also work well in this context.

when something is just dandy, I have been known to call it the "Snakes' Hips". A sweet young thing might call it simply "Snakey". he more commonly heard "Bees' Knees" is also appropriate here.

How many of you get the bottle of milk out of the "icebox"? Or the "Frigidaire"?, or, as I have very occasionally heard, the "Refrigidaire"?

The one that throws me is referring to the refrigerator as the "reefer". I'm told it's a military thing but I think of "reefer" as a pot reference.

ortega76

Practically Family
My pet peeve is when people ask "Can I ask you a question?"

What if I say no? You've just violated the social contract. Great.

And if I'm amenable, then you just wasted your question.

Just ask it.

That and the use of the word "regular" or "normal" to describe things that inherently have a plethora of options. Like today, someone asked me if I wore "regular" clothes. I was wearing a brown suit with no tie. What would be "irregular" about that? My office mate asked me to pick him up a sandwich when I went to Subway- on "regular" bread with "normal" cheese. What? I don't recall seeing those words on the menu.

Caity Lynn

Practically Family
Thank goodness someone mention "red" as in to "red up your room"

I lived in Pa (on the Md line) for years then moved to Wv and no one down here has the slightest idea what it means!

I say aluminum foil
I also say "quite amusing" refer to my mama as "mother" when talking about her (those two drive people CRAZY down here, they're always on me to talk like a kid)
I say macadam (sp?) or asphalt for paved roads (not sure if anyone else really says that)

I use quite and quaint , and I actually still say "Golly- Gee-Whillikers" much to my peers dismay.

I also dial the phone, use a wash/dish rag, a tea towel even though we use it to dry dishes, we have a "washer and drier" for washing machine.

I also say neat or neat-o nifty, swell and am trying to start using "keen" instead of Kewl(cool) [huh]

Caity Lynn

Practically Family
Doran said:
Sometimes my wife calls the MIDDAY meal supper. What? "She's not from these parts." Well, she's not from America at all.

I've heard that actually.

the only on that's really set in stone is Breakfast lol
I tend to use either Lunch then Supper
or I'll say Dinner or Supper, but I'm pretty sure my grandmother has used Supper and Dinner [huh]

GI Joe

Familiar Face
MikeBravo said:
"She'll be Jake" is the usual full expression I've heard and used

Haven't heard "When Hector was a pup", usually uses the name Moses

Though am familiar with "Since Jesus played full forward for Jerusalem". Full forward is an Australian Rules Football player position.

I always liked "Since Christ was a Corporal" Maybe a military thing but is probably too touchy to use these days.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters