Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Passe' words and phrases

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
"Nuts to you", "..in Dutch.." and "No Soap" are among my favorites.

As far as 'old' references, I like, "I'm so old I remember when the Dead Sea was just feeling a little ill." Or "... when Janet Reno was in the Boy Scouts."

Schofields

Familiar Face
i use some of these more than others..

and how! - basically means i agree 100% (got that one from my grandfather lol )

cheaters - eyeglasses

giggle water - booze

balled up - confused

horsefeathers - bull s**t

bees knees, cats pajamas

"hot dog!" (wow!)

swell, top shelf, top drawer

top of the bottle (as in "im feeling great")

sap, heel

Queue

Familiar Face
The one I'm most guilty of, much to the confusion of my friends, is druggist. *shrugs*

I think it may have stuck with me from It's a Wonderful Life; that's the only possible source I can think of.

Retro_Lass

New in Town
I use terms, phrases that baffle my friends from time to time.
Such as " my dance card is full". "the greatest thing since sliced bread", "many moons ago".
I call people gal, doll, fella, broad.

Cigarband

A-List Customer
Tony in Tarzana said:
Well, Frigidaire is a brand name, and lots of brand names get used generically, like Kleenex and Band-Aid.

I wish they still made Kelvinators. ;)

My favorite old expression, except that I don't really use it because nobody would "get" it, is "Ameche" for "telephone" because the great Don Ameche played Alexander Graham Bell in a movie.

Oh yeah? I posted this the other day in the Golden Era "Fall of the phone" thread.

"Phone Noir"
The other day while strolling along to my local java joint, I realized that I had left my Nokia nagger back at the manse. I needed to get my bookie on the horn or my knees might not be with me by sunset. I knew that the corner coffee house was devoid of coin operated blowers, so I shot the block a quick once over in search of a public Ameche. Ahh there's one in the Library, I thought to myself. So I made a beeline for Carnegie Hall.
When I went through the spinning portal, a waft of cool silence rushed over me. I ambled over to the desk and asked the Tome Tina where the choker was. She gave me a look with more promise than a new hat, and pointed to the hallway. I took a raincheck on her offer, and ankled down the corridor. Hanging on the wall was something I hadn't run across since Tricky Dick, a Rotary dial Bell.
It threw me for a loop. I had to turn over all the junk in my brain box to twig the old system. I felt like a sap.
It was redick to drag that piece of bakelite around instead of punching digits. But the horse took the bit and we were off and running. The old days of being in command of my communications was right there in those finger holes. The click click click of the dial was the cry of the lone wolf. I brushed the past away and got Fat Mike on the wire. It took some fast lip, but I convinced him not to turn me into a keychain. By the time I hungup, I was dead set on what I was gonna do. I made a date with the Desk Dame for that PM, and meandered back to my digs.
When I got inside, I grabbed my mobile menace, and like
Bob Feller, put a fastball right down the thundermug.
And I was flushed with Freedom.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
islamicjankari