Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Paul's Hat Works

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
Goose. said:
Hi Blackthorn...

Cool to hear about Paul's and see more pics. They sent me a invite to their opening gig (I'm nobody special...I signed up for it) and some more mail around Christmas. Unfortunately, my transportation situation of the past few months prevents my visting.

Though it may be similar to the proverbial "widow's pence", when the time is right, I would someday like to show my support with my coin and wish them success personally.

Until then, Aloha to you Blackthorn and wishes for a great 2010 to Paul's...
Thanks Goose, it's good to see you back here, old buddy. I hope your situation improves. This place isn't the same without you.

Goose.

Practically Family
Thanks Blackthorn :)

Hey, Paul's Hat Works is being featured tonight on KCBS channel 5 in the SF Bay Area on "Eye on the Bay" 7PM Pacific. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
Goose. said:
Hi Blackthorn...

Cool to hear about Paul's and see more pics. They sent me a invite to their opening gig (I'm nobody special...I signed up for it) and some more mail around Christmas. Unfortunately, my transportation situation of the past few months prevents my visting.

Though it may be similar to the proverbial "widow's pence", when the time is right, I would someday like to show my support with my coin and wish them success personally.

Until then, Aloha to you Blackthorn and wishes for a great 2010 to Paul's...
Thanks Goose. Great to see you here again, buddy. Stay well, my friend.

Stan

A-List Customer
Mario said:
Now, now my friends. Don't say that too loud! There are ways...
If you're not faint of heart, read up this thread where you can find some useful information on the subject. But you need to brace yourself! :D

Hi,

Ah yes. That's the thread I refer to as the 'Gene and a can of glue' thread. lol

And, it does work! I admit to copying that process myself once in a while. :D

Also, the 'pull the sweatband and turn the hat around' trick to fix bad spots at the top of a front pinch. That's where you make the original front the rear of the hat, so you can patch up the hole. I have successfully managed to hide the repair by using the 'Gene and a can of glue' trick on the outside so it's hard to spot the fix. :D

It's amazing what one will learn just by reading thru threads around here for a couple years!

Later!

Stan

Corky

Practically Family
Handmade hats in San Francisco

...(In the 1970s,) there was a guy, Michael (Paul was a long gone and hadn't been Paul anyway – he was Napolean) who would clean and block your hats.

_wp-content_uploads_pauls-hat-works-20110209-142901.jpg

If you had the dough, he would MAKE you as fine a hat as you could acquire ANYWHERE in the world.

Michael had had enough by 2009 and was to retire, planning to auction off the arcane, singular and irreplaceable hat making tools that Paul's had housed for 90 years. You see, for some indecipherable reason, along about 1962 American men stopped wearing hats. Over the next 30 years, hundred's of men's hat shops and factories shut down. There was a surge in sales of cold, flu and pneumonia remedies and sunburn ointment as more and more men took ill due to unnecessary exposure to the elements. What morons.

A year and a half ago, Paul's was saved from oblivion by four angels...

http://laughingsquid.com/hats-are-back-at-pauls-hat-works-in-san-francisco/

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
I've had them do work on a number of my hats, and they do good work (it's nice to have a shop like theirs within driving distance). I had thought briefly of having them make me a custom fedora, but they charge about $600 for one...if they haven't raised their prices in the last couple of years. I know for a fact they can't make one any better than Art Fawcett, Tonyb or Major Moore, who make hats a LOT cheaper.

Last edited:

Goose.

Practically Family
Hi RBH...

Thank you and your wife for the ad. It's quite nice.
Was right down the street in Japantown, but still haven't been there...someday.

Last edited:

Goose.

Practically Family
Goose!!!!!!!! You're back!!!! Where you been, dude????

Hi Blackthorn!
I've dropped out for a bit due to work insanity. And then my heart acted up with Congestive Heart Failure and I just beat stage 3 esophageal cancer. All is well now.

Have two of my Brent Black Panama hats in Hawai'i getting rebooked by Brent. Made me think of this nice forum. So I posted.

Great to "see" you and nice that you remembered me.

Your Lid Buddy...
Goose.

g.durand

One Too Many
I bought a Borsalino there from Michael Harris, the previous owner, in 1986. I still have it. I had not been back there since. When I recently needed to have one of my lids cleaned and re-sized I dropped it off with Abbie, who was in the shop at the time. I'll be picking it up this week. They have been pleasant to deal with. Good to see that Paul's has remained, and I'm sure I'll be sending more business their way.

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
Hi Blackthorn!
I've dropped out for a bit due to work insanity. And then my heart acted up with Congestive Heart Failure and I just beat stage 3 esophageal cancer. All is well now.

Have two of my Brent Black Panama hats in Hawai'i getting rebooked by Brent. Made me think of this nice forum. So I posted.

Great to "see" you and nice that you remembered me.

Your Lid Buddy...
Goose.
Of course I remember you. You were the first person who was friendly to me here, on my very first post. And you are the author of my favorite quote: "Be nice to everyone, but have a plan to kill them." :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:D

Sorry to hear of the cancer, glad you beat it. I do remember you mentioning the CHF, and am glad you're still kicking after all that.

Of course I remember you. You were the first person who was friendly to me here, on my very first post. And you are the author of my favorite quote: "Be nice to everyone, but have a plan to kill them." :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:D

Sorry to hear of the cancer, glad you beat it. I do remember you mentioning the CHF, and am glad you're still kicking after all that.

++1!

Ordinary Guy

One Too Many
Hey Goose, WELCOME back..........

Man you got hit with a bunch of stuff, nice to see you beat all of it.......

Glad you came back.....

Missed seeing your hatted face here....:D

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
Just excited to know there is a full hat shop in town. This is always good for people in town who want to pick up that first hat. They can be fitted and get off on the right foot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24