Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pea Coat: www.vintagetrends.com or e-Bay

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
Looking hard at picking up a pea coat. I've read through the pea coat dating sticky and have been comparing the more expensive (relatively-speaking)vintage pea coats at vintage trends with the cheaper vintage pea coats on e-bay. I'm not a cheap person when it comes to buying quality and I assume the ones on vintage trends have been looked over pretty carefully and are in really good condition. More of a sure thing compared to e-bay?

Philalethes

A-List Customer
I have never used Vintage Trends but I purchased my WWII peacoat from Ebay: it has very minor wear, looks almost new, and cost only $50. On the other hand, most of the measurements were off +/- an inch (fortunately, it still fits fine).

I recently had a problem with a purchase that was not as described. I told the seller what the problems were and that I wanted I refund - I got it, including shipping both ways. I think many sellers may be afraid of getting bad reviews and are willing to try to make you happy. So, there may be some sort of insurance buying on Ebay.

I might add that there seem to be more older peacoats on Ebay, at least when I was last comparing the two sites.

But if you are willing to pay a little more and others can verify that Vintage Trends is a good site, it would probably be a good choice.

bentusian

One of the Regulars
I have once dealt with Vintagetrends but was disappointed. The field jacket I purchased from them was described as mint condition (so I paid extra cash). But when I received it, it turned out that there was a small burnt hole in the sleeve - definitely not the mint condition at all. So I'm not sure whether they inspect their items closely enough.

I thought of returning the jacket to them, but considering the shipping cost back and forth over the Atlantic and, above all, the fact that VT doesn't give you a refund but store credit only, I decided to have it repaired. I think chance is a big factor with VT's items, just as with Ebay ones.

JanSolo

Practically Family
Here is my vintage Dale Fashions Peacoat. I bought it from Vintage Trends and the coat arrived in absolutely perfect condition. No signs of wear, no holes, no fraying, no moth bites.

5335191035_8046be6f10_z.jpg

5335191037_0d87345f23_z.jpg

To make sure that you get what you want you should phone Gary Wallace (owner) and tell him what you are looking for.

PS: Make sure you get a Kersey wool Peacoat

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/show...oat…(Yes-that-tree-is-also-in-it!)&highlight=

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
Good to hear that Vintage Trends can be contacted via phone regarding their products. I don't plan on bugging them to death, but would like some more precise measurements than what is posted. JanSolo- your pea coat (with the horn buttons you sewed on in place of the stock buttons) is what inspired my desire for a pea coat.

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
I am in e-mail contact with Vintage Trends. My concern was that all of the size 40 jackets have the chest size listed as 40. I know that vintage pea coats run slim, but a measured 40-inch chest is not going to fit a 40-inch chest and allow the wearer to actually breathe and move. I would expect at least a 42-44-inch measurement. Not only does it seem strange to have a 40-inch chest on a 40 jacket, but it is even more strange to have 3 different pea coats (likely made by different manufacturers) with the exact same chest measurements. I would expect some fluctuation. Luckily, spring is here and I'm in no super hurry to acquire the pea coat. I can take my time and be choosy.

Philalethes

A-List Customer
I am in e-mail contact with Vintage Trends. My concern was that all of the size 40 jackets have the chest size listed as 40. I know that vintage pea coats run slim, but a measured 40-inch chest is not going to fit a 40-inch chest and allow the wearer to actually breathe and move.

Not only would you not be able to breathe or move, but you wouldn't be able to fit the coat on!

I would expect at least a 42-44-inch measurement.

I think a size 40 peacoat would have a 42 chest measurement, for a slimmer military fit.

Not only does it seem strange to have a 40-inch chest on a 40 jacket, but it is even more strange to have 3 different pea coats (likely made by different manufacturers) with the exact same chest measurements. I would expect some fluctuation. Luckily, spring is here and I'm in no super hurry to acquire the pea coat. I can take my time and be choosy.

Actually, I wonder if the chest sizing is standardized for the military. The differences I have seen are mainly in sleeve and body length.

Yes, take your time. Which era peacoat are you shooting for? As another recommended, go for Kersey wool. I would also recommend something with corduroy pockets - they are simply fantastic.

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
I want to make sure I get the Kersey wool. Other than that, I just want a nice-looking coat and am not looking for any particular model. If I could find a 1964 model (my birth year), that would be great, but not a huge deal.

Peacoat

Bartender
I am in e-mail contact with Vintage Trends. My concern was that all of the size 40 jackets have the chest size listed as 40. I know that vintage pea coats run slim, but a measured 40-inch chest is not going to fit a 40-inch chest and allow the wearer to actually breathe and move. I would expect at least a 42-44-inch measurement. Not only does it seem strange to have a 40-inch chest on a 40 jacket, but it is even more strange to have 3 different pea coats (likely made by different manufacturers) with the exact same chest measurements. I would expect some fluctuation. Luckily, spring is here and I'm in no super hurry to acquire the pea coat. I can take my time and be choosy.

You need to carefully read the sizing section on my article on dating peacoats. In fact, as you are contemplating the purchase of a vintage peacoat, you need to read the entire article again. The sizing section will answer your questions about stated chest size and fit.

When you contact VT, as suggested by Jan, you should also ask for the actual measured chest size, from pit to pit, as explained in the article. I think the posted chest "measurements" they give are actually based on the stated chest size as taken from the size tag. You don't want this. While most of the chest sizes are consistent with the stated size, occasionally there will be one that is larger or smaller than than the stated chest size. This can be enough to make for a bad fit.

1964 was a good year for peacoats. The tag is the classic US NAVY tag, all of the coats that year were Kelsey wool (as far as I can determine), the pockets are corduroy lined and the double line of stitching three inches about the cuff is present. Actually all years prior to 1980 are good vintage years.

Now that Spring is almost here, the prices on eBay will start to drop, but so will the availability of the coats.

If you have any questions after a perusal of the article, I will be glad to answer them. Cheers, Mr. Peacoat.

JanSolo

Practically Family
a measured 40-inch chest is not going to fit a 40-inch chest and allow the wearer to actually breathe and move. I would expect at least a 42-44-inch measurement.

I tend to disagree on this matter!

If your chest measurement is 40 inches I wouldn't buy anything larger than size 40. My chest measures 39 inches and my Dale Fashions is a size 38 with enough room for a sweater and shirt underneath. If you order a larger peacoat you will be disappointed with the overall fit.
Those military peacoats are much neater and closer fitting than their commercial sibblings but the actual size tag somewhat mirrors the wearers measurements not the measurements of the garment imho, i.e. chest size 40...coat size 40, if you are between two sizes order the smaller one.

Our house expert Peacoat talked me out of a size 40 but it was too late as the coat was already on its way to Germany. When it arrived the coat fitted exactly as Peacoat had predicted: Too wide in the body, sleeves too long, overall fit not sharp but saggy.
So I had to send it back and I carefully selected a size 38. And that one fits like a glove! End of story...

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
I tend to disagree on this matter!

If your chest measurement is 40 inches I wouldn't buy anything larger than size 40. My chest measures 39 inches and my Dale Fashions is a size 38 with enough room for a sweater and shirt underneath. If you order a larger peacoat you will be disappointed with the overall fit.
Those military peacoats are much neater and closer fitting than their commercial sibblings but the actual size tag somewhat mirrors the wearers measurements not the measurements of the garment imho, i.e. chest size 40...coat size 40, if you are between two sizes order the smaller one.

Our house expert Peacoat talked me out of a size 40 but it was too late as the coat was already on its way to Germany. When it arrived the coat fitted exactly as Peacoat had predicted: Too wide in the body, sleeves too long, overall fit not sharp but saggy.
So I had to send it back and I carefully selected a size 38. And that one fits like a glove! End of story...

I'm talking measured chest, not jacket size. You carefully slected a size 38 and it fits you perfectly - those pics inspired me to search for a pea coat. However, I'm willing to bet that if you buttoned the jacket, laid it flat and measured from pit to pit - it would measure more than 19-inches across. It's probably at least 20-inches across and very likely 20.5-21-inches across.

I've been reading the sticky pea coat thread here and keeping up with the pea coat thread on Styleforum (where Mr. Peacoat has basically become the moderator) and am gathering some great insight. I was just surpised that Vintage Trends listed the measured chest size of a 40 jacket as 40-inches. When I contacted them, Greg told me that they list the measured chest as the size of the garment,so they list a size 40 with a 40-inch chest measurement, even though it actually measures a bit larger. He assured me he would send me exact measurements if I find a few that I'm interested in purchasing. I'm a pretty solid size 40 and I certainly won't buy any pea coat larger than a size 40 and I'll probably get Mr. PeaCoat to "approve" my purchase prior.

JanSolo

Practically Family
I'm talking measured chest, not jacket size.

Oh nein! Sorry that I got you wrong! Sometimes I get lost in translation...
Size 40 is a good size. I've seen some excellent coats on the VT site during the last couple of months. Make sure to state that you want one in 'minty mint' condition. It pays to spend a little extra to get something that's pristine and flawless.
Good luck and don't forget to post a couple of decent pictures!

EDIT: Just measured mine and it's 20.5 inches across.

Last edited:

Spoonbelly

One of the Regulars
I bought a 1951 size 46 pea coat from Vintage Trends this past winter. In my case, I thought the description was a little over rated. It needed one minor inside armpit lining seam to be sewn up. This a common spot on these coats which sometimes comes undone. No big deal, but still a few more bucks to have it done by a good seamstress. If you have a common size (38, 40, or 42) you could find many of these coats on ebay at prices cheaper then VT and still in excellent shape. The pea coat season is just about over for this winter. If you start searching ebay from Oct. - March, there are a lot more posts for these coats.

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
I did find a 1961 pea coat on ebay and should receive it next week. $31 + $10 shipping. If it's in nearly as good a condition as the seller says (and I spoke to him via e-mail about it), I'll be pretty pleased. I'll post pics. I'm looking for the right tree to pose in front of.

Spoonbelly

One of the Regulars
For some reason I think I usually see more '61 coats on ebay then '64. In fact you don't usually see too many '64 and '65 coats around. My first coat was a '65 that I just gave to my son last winter. I bought it in an army and navy store back in the early '70s. $41.00 is a really good price for a '64. Hopefully it is in excellent shape. I'm in Dutchess Co. N.Y.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy