Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Peaky Blinders suit

BrianS

New in Town
Hello I am looking for the grey striped herringbone tweed suit from the first season. Many companies claim to make Peaky suits but none have this one. Any help would be appreciated. Brian

Edward

Bartender
There's an awful lot of stuff our there claiming to be Peaky style, but with messed-with proportions to suit modern tastes, the result being that it doesn't look remotely accurate.... I'd go looking for somewhere that makes suits in a c.1919 style, more likely to get something decent. History Bunker in the UK do a couple of suits that very much have the early-series Peaky look in their 'Edwardian Civilian Clothing' line, though I think the grey one there is more a plain flannel rather than a herringbone. Could be worth asking, though, if they can accomodate in another cloth. Darcy Clothing's line of brushed cotton suits does include one in a mid-grey herringbone pattern, which might be worth considering. Darcy supplied the separate collars for the first series (their Arundell model), though I have no idea if they were the source of anything else.

All done and said, though, if you really want an exact repro of a very specific suit, you're probably best off finding a tailor who offers suits in the period style and working it up with them.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
All done and said, though, if you really want an exact repro of a very specific suit, you're probably best off finding a tailor who offers suits in the period style and working it up with them.
Exactly so. My tailor made me an accurate Zoot suit from a number of period newspaper adverts & news reports. It took some finding but was well worth it. My Zoot looks like a suit rather than a costume.

Simon, (SJC) must have checked out period photos to come up with this.
half belt jacket.jpg

Edward

Bartender
Exactly so. My tailor made me an accurate Zoot suit from a number of period newspaper adverts & news reports. It took some finding but was well worth it. My Zoot looks like a suit rather than a costume.

View attachment 506170

I know there was a lot of research goes into the SJC / Cathcart London suits; I believe as well as imagery, Simon had access to some original pieces as well.

Edward

Bartender
Have you tried Studio Suits Brian? https://www.studiosuits.com/collect...MIo6Xe85Sg_gIVQuDtCh3_5w4uEAAYASAAEgKa5vD_BwE I didn't see the herringbone suit that you mentioned but if you like their suits you could try sending them an e-mail. Failing that, Edwards advice would be the way to go. Need to save your pennies.

The jackets on those studio suits look nice, though alas I suspect the trousers will let them down. Waistband looks very modern that we can see; I would fear they would turn out to be very low in the rise.

mullitt

Familiar Face

View attachment 506170
Hey, I have that suit! It's great but it's very, very warm.
SJC makes great repros but sells out rather quickly and it seems like they rarely show up second hand. Getting a specific suit from a TV show is most likely going to lead you to disreputable sellers who make cheap clothing. Having a tailor make you one will cost you the big bucks for something that you may only want to wear occasionally.
I'd check SJC and Darcy Clothing as others have recommended.

BrianS

New in Town
Hey, I have that suit! It's great but it's very, very warm.
SJC makes great repros but sells out rather quickly and it seems like they rarely show up second hand. Getting a specific suit from a TV show is most likely going to lead you to disreputable sellers who make cheap clothing. Having a tailor make you one will cost you the big bucks for something that you may only want to wear occasionally.
I'd check SJC and Darcy Clothing as others have recommended.
SJC and Cathcart have no listings for Peaky Blinders. Hardly have any suits at all listed. Where did you purchase yours, can you post a photo. Thank you for your time. Brian

mullitt

Familiar Face
SJC and Cathcart have no listings for Peaky Blinders. Hardly have any suits at all listed. Where did you purchase yours, can you post a photo. Thank you for your time. Brian
Sorry - I was saying I have the suit in the photo I was replying to.
I was trying to steer you away from reproductions. Anything that’s labeled as a “Peaky Blinders” suit is most likely going to be a chintzy knockoff. Something more of that era but not an exact copy could take some time to locate second hand.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Hello I am looking for the grey striped herringbone tweed suit from the first season. Many companies claim to make Peaky suits but none have this one. Any help would be appreciated. Brian
Good luck with the herringbone Brian. Thinking about your original post I texted it to my tailor, he has been away for a while but on my phone this morning was a message from him, about the clothes worn in Peaky Blinders.
"Steven Knight, the creator and writer of Peaky Blinders, created Garrison Tailors. A luxury menswear brand for those seeking a look as smart as those from Peaky Blinders." https://www.garrisontailors.com/
Scroll down to the bottom of the opening page to see tweed in herringbone style.

Edward

Bartender
Good luck with the herringbone Brian. Thinking about your original post I texted it to my tailor, he has been away for a while but on my phone this morning was a message from him, about the clothes worn in Peaky Blinders.
"Steven Knight, the creator and writer of Peaky Blinders, created Garrison Tailors. A luxury menswear brand for those seeking a look as smart as those from Peaky Blinders." https://www.garrisontailors.com/
Scroll down to the bottom of the opening page to see tweed in herringbone style.

Quality of the Garrison stuff looks high. Not entirely sure whether the cut has been modernised at all, but definitely worth looking into.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Quality of the Garrison stuff looks high. Not entirely sure whether the cut has been modernised at all, but definitely worth looking into.
I never really got into Peaky Blinders, but there are some wonderful inspirational clothes. I'm really struck by the overcoat dated 1919. Thinking about Brian's post I might just consider such an overcoat in grey tweed, maybe even in a herringbone pattern.

Edward

Bartender
I never really got into Peaky Blinders, but there are some wonderful inspirational clothes. I'm really struck by the overcoat dated 1919. Thinking about Brian's post I might just consider such an overcoat in grey tweed, maybe even in a herringbone pattern.

It is nice. Wish they had some photos of it being worn, though. I like my overcoats more 30s style - calf-length. Teens and well into the twenties were to the knee. Cathcart did a really nice blue one in a jumbo herringbone pattern last year. Authentic 20s cut. If they did one the same but in a longer length, I'd jump at it. I actually was still tempted in the sale, but didn't quite have the scratch for it while it was available in my size. If they did the right length for me, I'd consider buying one at full price, though. The current collection is really nice. I'd like more of it, but can't stretch to it right now - maybe will pick up a couple of bits if there's anything left in an end of season sale. It's the only thing I don't like about the label, the changing collections - if I miss something this year, I'll likely never get it again. They do seem to be working towards staples, though, with the cotton wide leg trousers being more available now, alongside the polos as a standard.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner