Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pegasus Leather Safari Jacket

trapp

Practically Family
I like the cut and the thick, practical lower pockets. The color looks unique.

In the FAQ section of their website, they're up front about where the jackets are made.

Vespizzare

A-List Customer
I wouldn't wear it on a safari. I read somewhere that epaulets convey colonialism and are not cool to a lot of people in Africa. Of course, that info may be wrong.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I wouldn't wear it on a safari. I read somewhere that epaulets convey colonialism and are not cool to a lot of people in Africa. Of course, that info may be wrong.

Africa contains many different countries. Some of the people in some of those lands don't like Western stuff, sometimes for understandable reasons.

Plumbline

One Too Many
Nice jacket ... and I would echo others views that Korea ( and Vietnam) really know how to make a jacket .... it's no surprise that most of Goretex and Rukka's top end jackets are made in these regions costs are low and quality is exceptional.

I am always surprised that repro manufacturers don't outsource production to these regions ( with the appropriate ethical checks and controls) ... I know Aero dabbled with this back in the 00's. The jacket market is global so manufacturing should also be IMHO.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I think the problem for small companies is that it's difficult to maintain checks and controls, both ethical and quality-wise, at a great distance.

Plumbline

One Too Many
Not really ... tag on to those producing with the main manufacturers ..... and those who have the appropriate accreditation and controls.

They manage to keep controls and checks on sourcing of raw materials ( hide, linings, tartans) so it shouldn't be any more difficult in my experience.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
I try to look for red flags when assesimg quality from a distance. In this case I see none. When the company's overview mentions Buco, Trojan, etc. rather than a generic sales pitch, I'm willing to bet the company has a clean conscience and wouldn't sell you rubbish.

hipcheck

New in Town
I purchased the Pegasus "Doppelreihiger" Luftwaffe. I ordered a custom size but was sent a stock one. I was disappointed but I was refunded the custom fee. I asked what tannery the leather was from in Japan and was told it would not be revealed. I do like the jacket. I could not find anyone who made that style other than Pegasus.

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Korea has been making knock-offs Avirex, Harley Davidson etc leather goods since as far as I know the 80s (I was born in the 70s, so 80s is the limit of my knowledge LOL). Craftmanship has never been the problem even in those days but they have been using very cheap leather in those knock-offs. With the Korea economy taking off again in last ten years, demand for higher quality materials are on the rising.

trapp

Practically Family
The jackets look great.

I know it's something I need to get over, but I still have trouble laying out good money for garments manufactured anywhere in Asia besides Japan. A jacket made in South Korea may be amazing in every regard, but for me it won't have the prestige or appeal as one made in the US, Canada, or Europe. The feeling is not rational, but it's real. I can't seem to help it.

Luca Brasi

New in Town
The jackets look great.

I know it's something I need to get over, but I still have trouble laying out good money for garments manufactured anywhere in Asia besides Japan. A jacket made in South Korea may be amazing in every regard, but for me it won't have the prestige or appeal as one made in the US, Canada, or Europe. The feeling is not rational, but it's real. I can't seem to help it.

I can not get Pegasus to reply to me. Anybody know if they are still taking custom orders.

Blackadder

The jackets look great.

It is indeed irrational. For example, Shanghai and later Hong Kong are famous for bespoke suits not to mention the prestige and appeal of silk clothing made in China. But then we are talking about leather jackets here.

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
It's funny, but their jackets always seem to look better in customer photos than on their website.

They're far from alone.... Aero'sown website photos used to be a poor reflection of their jackets once upon a time, though they've sorted that now. Some others still suffer terribly from it. I remember it being an issue under discussion when AL first set up virtual shop. I always thought John Goodear did photos really well, though.

I think I'd like it better without the epaulets and the breast pockets, though it is still very, very nice. Manages to avoid that deadly '70s vibe, which is the curse of most safari jackets.

Agreed! The idea of a leather safari jacket, especially a heavy leather like fqhh, amuses me, but then I'm thinking of the heat of the day. At night, when the sun goes down, might be a different story, depending what part of the continent you're in.

We don't NEED anything beyond 1 of the cheapest jackets in our size available at the Burlington Coat Factory

Are you new here?

;)

Africa contains many different countries. Some of the people in some of those lands don't like Western stuff, sometimes for understandable reasons.

Mn. I suspect some 'looks', fairly or unfairly, are associated with certain negative stereotypes and attitudes... though naturally it'll vary from country to country, or even region to region. I've not yet been lucky enough to visit Africa. Really keen to do Egypt, though, and hit all the obvious sites of archaeological interest...

I think the problem for small companies is that it's difficult to maintain checks and controls, both ethical and quality-wise, at a great distance.

I should imagine so. An element of trust has to come into it, I suppose.

Not really ... tag on to those producing with the main manufacturers ..... and those who have the appropriate accreditation and controls.

They manage to keep controls and checks on sourcing of raw materials ( hide, linings, tartans) so it shouldn't be any more difficult in my experience.

If only it were that easy, though. Some really big players have been caught out unawares... the Gap was one, I believe; there was also quite a hoohah about twenty years ago with Marksies. If memory serves, it was one of their main suppliers of shirts, a Northern Ireland firm, which had shifted production to India or Pakistan, and really were not meeting agreen standards for working environment. Hopefully over time thiswill improve, though it's very difficult in some parts of the world which have less enlightened approaches to organisations designedc to improve the lot of workforces.

I try to look for red flags when assesimg quality from a distance. In this case I see none. When the company's overview mentions Buco, Trojan, etc. rather than a generic sales pitch, I'm willing to bet the company has a clean conscience and wouldn't sell you rubbish.

Sadly, there are plenty of big brands out there all too ready to take advantage of cheap labour and pass the big savings on to the profit margin. A smaller company aimed at the likes of us, though, I'd tend to the view is less likely to be so focussed purely on profit.... and at least the fact that they're talking about luxury goods, combined with them being a smaller, artisan company, I'd like to believe makes them less driven to drive up profit at all costs. Of course, I get the impression from several markets that South Korea has been the "New Japan" for some time; even some of the manufacturing that moved again to China because it was cheaper has moved on again as China goes up in cost, hence some things being made now in Vietnam and elsewhere. A lot of Chinese companies have moved into the Indian market. The next likely step, though, is countries in Northern Africa as a manufacturing good centre.

The jackets look great.

Not rational at all, but it's a learned thing. Fifty years ago you'd have been saying the same about Japan. The bottom line is, well.... the bottom line. So many of these things get a reputation for making "cheap rubbish" because they manufacture to order. The West dEmands cheap rubbish at a low price, they oblige and say thanks very much for the money. People see the cheap rubbish and subconsciously assume that this is all they are capable of.... it'll change in time. For Japan, it took from the fifties to the eighties (in some sectors, especially hifi audio equipment, it only took until the seventies; from the late eighties, Japan became seen as a source of incredibly good guitars, too.... The early 70s, Japanese electric guitars were well ropey. In the early eighties, brands like Tokai brought Fender and Gibson to their knees. Gretsches they make in Japan these days far outstrip the originals for quality and consistency...), roughly, to be viewed as a place whih makes great stuff. S Korea is fast gonig that way with some things; they'll get there eventually with others, no doubt.

Blackadder

Not rational at all, but it's a learned thing. Fifty years ago you'd have been saying the same about Japan. The bottom line is, well.... the bottom line. So many of these things get a reputation for making "cheap rubbish" because they manufacture to order. The West dEmands cheap rubbish at a low price, they oblige and say thanks very much for the money. People see the cheap rubbish and subconsciously assume that this is all they are capable of.... it'll change in time. For Japan, it took from the fifties to the eighties (in some sectors, especially hifi audio equipment, it only took until the seventies; from the late eighties, Japan became seen as a source of incredibly good guitars, too.... The early 70s, Japanese electric guitars were well ropey. In the early eighties, brands like Tokai brought Fender and Gibson to their knees. Gretsches they make in Japan these days far outstrip the originals for quality and consistency...), roughly, to be viewed as a place whih makes great stuff. S Korea is fast gonig that way with some things; they'll get there eventually with others, no doubt.

Agree. Another reason is the demands, more importantly domestic demands. Were there good craftsmen and artisans in these countries? There of course were. Did they know how to make great garments? They of course did. Were there great domestic demand for these high end clothings? There were none, not right after the various wars and conflicts in these countries when people were poor and starving. So they did what Edward said. Now these countries' economy are taking off, their people will demand better things. Of course the price will no longer be the same.

Last edited:

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
The West dEmands cheap rubbish at a low price, they oblige and say thanks very much for the money. People see the cheap rubbish and subconsciously assume that this is all they are capable of

That is the nail on the head.

trapp

Practically Family
I should have specified leather garments. Bespoke suits in parts of Asia are top-notch and China sets the standard for silk, but neither of those apply to my wardrobe.

It is indeed irrational. For example, Shanghai and later Hong Kong are famous for bespoke suits not to mention the prestige and appeal of silk clothing made in China. But then we are talking about leather jackets here.

trapp

Practically Family
Not rational at all, but it's a learned thing. Fifty years ago you'd have been saying the same about Japan. The bottom line is, well.... the bottom line. So many of these things get a reputation for making "cheap rubbish" because they manufacture to order...People see the cheap rubbish and subconsciously assume that this is all they are capable of.... it'll change in time.

It's more than that. It's also a sentimental thing (which flirts with being irrational but doesn't mean I'm a slave to reputation). I'm well aware that many of these countries have skilled artisans that can and do produce jackets every bit as good as some of the best western makers. I also believe the Vanson Comets made in El Salvador a few years ago were identical to those made in Fall River. Yet I would much prefer the US made Vansons.

06911s

New in Town
The manufacture site was added most likely recently. When I purchased the jacket in january this was not disclosed on the website. It didn't matter since the quality and craftmanship is very good.

06911s

New in Town
I like the cut and the thick, practical lower pockets. The color looks unique.

In the FAQ section of their website, they're up front about where the jackets are made.

The manufacture site was added most likely recently. When I purchased the jacket in january this was not disclosed on the website. It didn't matter since the quality and craftmanship is very good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko