Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Personal Heat

Johnnysan

One Too Many
My feelings about guns used to be much more liberal before I worked a brief stint in law enforcement. It wasn't too long before I realized that there are some real serious nut jobs out there who have absolutely no compunction about doing serious harm to others for absolutely no reason. I've met people who would brain you (and worse) for the change in your pockets.

Since that time, I've kept handguns in my home and insisted that my wife learned how to properly handle and fire them. When my daughter is older, she'll get the same training. The hope is that none of us will ever be forced into a situation requiring the use of a gun, but if so, we'll at least know how to use one effectively.

Michaelson

One Too Many
Until you've had the business end of a .38 stuck in your face for no reason what so ever (and I have), then you'd already know the answer WHY one carries. The old cliche 'an armed society is a polite society' is still a tried and true one. If there's a ghost of a chance that I may be armed, folks are not so eager to test the waters to see what may or may not be in my pockets or my families pockets, let alone just shoot us for the plain fun of it, and as has already been posted above, I've seen the underbelly of society too when I worked for the Florida Highway Patrol, and what's out there would rock you to your very foundation.

(by the way, the business end of a .38 is about the size of the Holland Tunnel! :eek: Well, at least the one I was looking at was.....)

Regards! Michaelson

Johnnysan

One Too Many
I've often wondered how many folks who are opposed to concealed carry, mandatory sentencing guidelines and the death penalty would change their minds if the courts mandated that they and their families had to live with the career felons whose rights they choose to defend as part of a modified "home-detention" program.

Once you escape the comfort of your own safe environment and experience evil up close and personal, your perspective is bound to change if there is a shred of self-preservation in you at all. Regardless of whatever label you choose to use, vigilence and caution are appropriate responses following the acceptance of reality based upon experience.

Biltmore Bob

Suspended
PB....

Dead is dead....no matter who kills you, it makes no diff if it's a Muslim terrorist, or a crack head looking for a few bucks to score a 20 rock.

Alan, your gonna be just as dead regardless of who "wipes" you out.

Self preservation is a fundamental right, I choose to exercise my right. It's no fun being "on the business end of a .38" as stated above. Every third person in this country (USA) will be the victim of crime sometime in their life (unless the stats have changed). I've been the victim of violent crime. I've been shot at. I carry the biggest gun I can handle and conceal, I have three complete reloads on me most times. I must stay alive in order to provide for my family.

That said, I'll probably never be victimized again.

Badluck Brody

Practically Family
Though this is an old thread....

I have to add. I deal with these "people" all day, six days a week. I have a strong belief that there are three types of cons. Those that were just stupid and had no clue how wrong they were/ Those that are career cons that's simply doing business and they will try to succeed at any cost/ Then there are folks that are simply evil or broken in one way or another.

I've had I/M's say "Dep, this place dosn't mean S$&T, this is just a temporary financial setback." Then I look at their accounts and I see they have more money for canteen (Junk food and crap) than I have managed to save in the last five years. These are men "and women" that would take a life, if it meant one day less of a jail sentence.

Back home in Milwaukee a Veteran Sgt. on the Milwaukee PD was flagged down by a bystander and tried to stop a domestic involving a teenager (12-15 years old). The youngster went for a gun and the Sgt. had to shoot him.

Now we're told "the community" wants justice against the veteran officer....?

What's a kid doing/ or better yet, why is a kid packing heat, let alone pulling it while dealing with an officer??

Sure, why not punish the peace keeper. We have to blame someone, don't we???

If people could see what some cons are really like when they are not "playing" our legal system, they wouldn't believe it.

Just don't be a sheep!

BL Brody

"Lord, make me fast and accurate..."

P.S: Sorry to get serious. I'd much rather enjoy talking about the good old day/ways and the stuff we love.

Take care everyone

BTW: For the original post topic, I just picked up a neat old 4 inch, S&W model 10 in 38spc. I'm told it was a railroad cop's pistol. Should be good enough for Prohibition era stuff.

BL Brody

Bebop

Practically Family
Like an earthquake kit.

I live 6 months a year in Spokane, Washington and the other 6 months in San Francisco, Ca. I can see a huge difference in how people treat each other in Ca. which has very strict firearms regulations and Wa. which has pretty soft regulations. Wa. has conceled carry that is very reasonable and in Ca. you have to be a poitician or some other string puller to get a conceled carry permit. People in Wa., (or I should say in Spokane) have more respect towards one another and there are very few instances of violent road rage or simple rude behaviour for the sake of "messing with someone". I see alot of "stronger preying on the weaker" type of behaviour in Ca. Even in the small towns in No. Ca. I am convinced that it is because these so called "stronger" people know that the so called "weaker" people would not carry a gun without proper permits. In Wa. you do not know who is carrying legally. Permits are available quite easily to most law abiding folks. It is kind of like knowing that someone is heavily into martial arts. It makes you think twice about ever picking a fight with them.
It is a tool like my swiss army knife or my hat. In Ca. I have a great earthquake kit that I hope I don't ever need to use, but it is nice to know that if I need to use it, it is there. It is not being "scared". It is being prepared.
Alan Eardley, when you feel "sufficiently threatened to take up arms" unless you are prepared, it might be too late.

Badluck Brody

Practically Family
I totally agree Bebop..

I served at Ft. Lewis WA for the better part of three years. I remember it wasn't uncommon to have someone roll or take shots at or GIs in the Tilicum or Tacoma areas. After a while, it was just normal (though awkward at first) to carry if going to town.

Brody

Flyboy

New in Town
Why Carry?

Why Carry?

I'm a flight instructor. I used to work for a small flight school in the Oklahoma City area. About sixteen months after I left the company, it came to my attention that the owner, who had given me a couple of logbook endorsements, wasn't an instructor himself. This put me in a sticky spot: I was flying airplanes that required me to have those endorsements, and since the guy who gave them to me turned out to not to be an instructor, the endorsements weren't valid. I called the FAA to find out what I needed to do to stay legal. They talked to me, made photocopies of my logbook, and sent me on my way (yeah, I technically violated the regs, but it was clear that I'd made a good faith effort to comply). My former employer wasn't so lucky: the FAA went after him, revoking his pilot certificate (separate from instructor certificate, which, as I said, he didn't have). As part of his appeal, he was entitled to all the evidence against him (discovery), so he found out that I'm the one who turned him in. I didn't end up having to testify because his appeal was denied on pro forma grounds.

On the day his appeal was denied, I passed him on the airport grounds (I still worked at the same airport, just for a different company). He looked in my truck window, shot me a dirty look, proceeded to the stop sign, and waited. And waited. And waited some more. Then he turned around and headed back toward me. I ducked inside the security gate and got out of sight as quickly as I could.

When he passed me, I was about 200 yards from the highway patrol hangar, and 300 yards from Customs (whose agents are also armed). If he'd wanted to do something stupid, there wasn't a damned thing any of them could have done to stop him. The next day, I started carrying.

I have a permit to carry a concealed handgun because the cops can't protect me. Even just 200 yards away, they can't do anything. The Supreme Court has ruled that they don't have to, either. There is exactly one person responsible for my safety, and he is me.

I carry everywhere I am legally allowed to do so. I do so because there are stupid people out there who would harm me, given the chance. Not many, and the odds I'll ever meet even one are tiny, but the consequences for being unprepared are unacceptable to me. I carry because men--real men, not these ********* sissy-boy "metrosexuals"--stand up for themselves, and for others. I've already intervened in a few situations where males--I refuse to dignify them by caling them "men"--were hitting women. If one of those guys had done something stupid, I'd have been up a creek.

I have never had to draw, or even lay hand upon, my sidearm. Every day, when I get dressed, I strap it on, I say a quick prayer that such will continue to be the case. And every night, I say a quick thanks that I didn't need to use it. But I prepare every day just the same.

The last incident was on the Fourth of July. One of the neighbors came over to where we were launching fireworks at about 2330 (this is not abnormal for this area on the Fourth) and proceeded to let loose a stream of invective that would make a sailor blush, directed at all present (including the 5-12 year-old kids). He threatened to smash anything he saw and beat the $#!+ out of anybody who made any more noise. When he came over to my brother and I, he was clearly looking to start something. I never said a word, but I communicated to him, in no uncertain terms, that he did not want to start a fight. He never knew I was armed, but the confidence of knowing that I would win anything he started came through loud and clear, and he backed down and went home. (Yes, we called it a night on the fireworks.) That kind of confidence is a natural result of going armed, and you naturally project it: in short, I don't look like an easy victim. There's absolutely no telling how many would-be attackers were deterred, at least to the point of finding a softer target, by seeing that confidence.

No, I'm not the nutjob with the bloodthirsty gleam in his eye. Matter of fact, I got to talking to a girl I'd never met before at a party a few weeks ago, and she commented on the fact that I'm incredibly laid-back. It has been my experience that most people who carry are. We have to be. It's not just that people are afraid to be rude because somebody else is carrying; I have to be polite because I'm carrying. If somebody is an ass, I have two choices: answer his challenge, or let it go. If I answer it, it may escalate, and though I know I won't draw unless lethal force is justified (because he brought it first), if I have to shoot, I'll know that I had a chance to defuse things, and I missed it. I might be legally exonerated, but his blood will be on my hands. I just can't do that. Most of us are like that. That's not to say we won't stand up when it needs to be done, but we just don't sweat the small stuff. Another girl came to me just a month or two after meeting me and asked me to take her shooting to help her get over her fear of guns. When she was five, she watched her mother murdered. Nonetheless, she was comfortable enough with me to ask my help. Now I have to find some way of telling her that she has to buy her own ammo. Again, it's that attitude of complete harmlessness. I have never had anybody say he didn't feel comfortable with me around, and most everybody I know is well aware that I carry full-time.

There's one more reason I carry, more fundamental than anything else I've said here. I carry because it's my birthright as a freeman. I call no man sir; I don't negotiate for my rights, and it is my basic, fundamental, God-given right to defend myself with appropriate force against hostility. If I'm threatened with lethal force, it is my natural right to respond in kind. I don't expect it to happen, and I certainly don't ever want to be in that situation, but if I ever am, rest assured that I will defend my life--my most precious gift from the Creator--with every resource at my disposal.

Johnny Dollar

New in Town
There is nothing that makes you feel more secure than being able to carry. I feel that the right to carry is very important. If there is one thing that you can be sure of is that the government is not always going to be able to protect you. My state has "shall issue permits", and I agree with Flyboy, it makes the badguys think twice about committing a crime. Many people however do not realize that the right to carry is a great freedom that most of our country has. We do not know how long this freedom will be availabe to us. With the UN and other liberal groups in the world and our own country so bent on taking all of our guns away, we need to take advantage of this freedom while we can, and do what we can to keep our rights.

Johnny Dollar

varga49

One of the Regulars
Biltmore Bob said:
Come to Texas Wingnut, y'all can carry whatever y'all want.
true enough I carry a kazoo, my trusty magic sponge balls and my scotch and soda coin trick...if those don't work..there's always my Auto Ordnance 1911 45ACP

Biltmore Bob

Suspended
Hey, Varga which one is you!

3d_one_man_band_zoom.jpg

artwork4.gif

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
Revolver man

I've toyed with semi-auto's, but I generally don't care for them. I have three revolvers and one auto now. The auto is a new walther 22. My revolvers are a bit heavy for carry conceal (I recently moved out of NJ, where PI's have trouble getting a permit). My biggest cal is a Ruger Vaquero 45. For those who don't know it, that's Ruger's replica of the Colt Peacemaker, and it can fire ACP rounds as well as long colt. And it's heavy, like the originals were, no light-wieght alloys. My wish list... mainly an old police revolver, like they use in all those gangster movies. Smith & Wesson, I think?

Jake

One of the Regulars
We are still waiting for carry concealed here in Wisconsin, when that happens I've got a Springfield Micro-compact 1911 ready to go.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elzbthy