Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Peterman Sale

samtemporary

One of the Regulars
I've picked up their Victorian Suspenders and Madison Avenue Fedora. Both reasonably priced on sale, and both very good quality. I have my eye on the 1933 Linen Blazer now...

Woodfluter

Practically Family
I pulled the trigger on the DB tweed. Couple of price things to point out:
- They gave me lower, "extended" prices in my cart. Don't understand, ain't arguing.
- They also have "tier" discounts. So when I added a couple of other items, each individual price dropped further.

So the tweed, which started at $319 and is on sale at $248 ended up costing me $166.
A red wool zip jacket in the last-chance dept. (originally $249, now $42) cost me $28.
...(Sorry, got the last one in medium and only one in small left.)
The third item was a L/S T-shirt, different color than the one I have now, for $9.50.
Free shipping.

I'm just pointing this out because, as was stated earlier, their regular prices are "pricey" but when they have sales, they really don't mess around. I just about only buy during sales or from last-chance. Like Rue, I've almost always been quite impressed. I only sent one thing back, a cavalry tweed casual jacket that was flat-out poorly designed. Everything else has been fine quality. Timing can be tricky...I've waited too long and missed out on my size. But if you pay attention and get lucky, J.P. can be a good deal.

I sometimes pine after a photo of critical details or better descriptions (at the expense of the stories) but still support their use of illustrative drawings. Maybe nostalgia, but I like it.

Now, I wouldn't buy a hat from Peterman. Some caps (the Handsome Thug is a Jonathan Richard) yes, but only on sale - otherwise can get same for less elsewhere. Berets...just not enough info, and can get Elosegui for much less. Pipes: uh-uh, better models available for less, even on sale. But the jackets and coats have been outstanding. Got a couple of nice Willis & Geiger items that way years back, before they went south.

Last edited:

carldelo

One Too Many
I sometimes pine after a photo of critical details or better descriptions (at the expense of the stories) but still support their use of illustrative drawings. Maybe nostalgia, but I like it.

Someone else here on the lounge essayed a guess that the 'drawings' in the catalog are actually photographs run through photoshop to make them look like drawings. From my experience with items received, I believe this is true, and the 'drawings' generally do an acceptable job. I'd still like to see photos, however.

rue

They did put out one catalog with real life women in it, but people must have thought the same thing I did... it just wasn't the same. I think part of the charm is that you can picture yourself in the clothes.

Also, think about the stories that go with each picture.... if they put real pictures with real people, then the magic of the imagination is gone.

Last edited:

Dan'l

Practically Family
And then the shipping charges amount to a try on fee.:(

I bought a pair of flannel trousers from them a couple of years ago and ordered the wrong size. Peterman paid the shipping charge and all that I had to do was send them back and wait a couple of days. In fact, I’m wearing them today. Sorry Rue, no pictures ;)

frussell

One Too Many
Their catalog makes me nostalgic for the 80s pre-Gap Banana Republic catalogs, when they still actually sold surplus items and all sorts of unusual gear. I've only ordered one thing from Peterman, the Cavalry Twill jacket, and like Woodfluter, I was completely underwhelmed and returned it the same day. Hopefully it was not typical of the company's offerings. Frank

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
From frisky to grumpy in a day :p

But it's true. If no one took the descriptions seriously, there wouldn't be a problem. But I can't tell you how many times people have come up to me and solemnly repeated a string of false B.S. about the history of this or that type of 'classic' menswear. When I've asked them where they learned their 'history', the proud answer has all too often been: "J. Peterman!"

:eusa_doh::mad: :eusa_doh::mad: :eusa_doh::mad: :eusa_doh:

rue

But it's true. If no one took the descriptions seriously, there wouldn't be a problem. But I can't tell you how many times people have come up to me and solemnly repeated a string of false B.S. about the history of this or that type of 'classic' menswear. When I've asked them where they learned their 'history', the proud answer has all too often been: "J. Peterman!"

But that's a different problem.... it's called moron-itis.

Tommy

One of the Regulars
They did put out one catalog with real life women in it, but people must have thought the same thing I did... it just wasn't the same. I think part of the charm is that you can picture yourself in the clothes.

Also, think about the stories that go with each picture.... if they put real pictures with real people, then the magic of the imagination is gone.

I think charm is an accurate word to describe the attraction of Peterman's catalog appeal, other than his generous tip of the hat to Golden Era stylings.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy