Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Peters Brothers Shady Oak

Michaelson

One Too Many
[Thought I'd split this thread up so I could follow up with some pics and info on this style hat from Peters Brothers in Fort Worth Texas --Moderator]

Correction...LBJ did NOT wear an open road. He wore and kept on order a 'Shady Oaks', made specially by Peters Brothers hat co. of Ft. Worth. You can see a photo of him picking one up from Tom Peters Sr. at their website. It's a bit taller than the open road, but has all the attributes of the Stetson at first glance. I only know this for certain as I had quite a nice discussion about this with Tom Peters (Jr.) while visiting the shop last month. Unfortunately, they have not made a Shady Oaks for quite a while due to a breakdown of the old machinery that they made the hat with (not sure what the piece was, but this was what I was told). LBJ was a regular customer of PB almost all his life.

Truman also owned and wore Shady Oaks, but he switched back and forth between the Stetson and the PB at will, simply due to the fact that the PB was so much taller, and it didn't fit Truman (a fairly short man himself) as well as it did LBJ. Tom Peters prided himself to be sure to make his Shady Oaks for 'all good Democrats'. He gave one to every President in office since the early 1920's...even Republicans, stating 'they could have been a good Democrat if they tried.' (grins) Wish I had been able to meet the man, but unfortunately he passed away in 1991. He leaves a fine son, Tom Jr., who, with his wife Nelda, are a REAL treat to know and talk with. Regards. Michaelson

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Michaelson,
I'm not too sure. I have a vintage Shady Oak from Peters Brothers and the edge is not bound like the ones I've seen LBJ wear... the brim is wider than an open road as well.

I know he wore Stetsons because I saw some at his Library in Texas.

I also know he had to wear PB because no Presidential Texan could live without one.

Also, the open Roads had higher crowns back then.

I might need to do some further investigating.

064.jpg

Michaelson

One Too Many
Take the information for what it's worth, Matt. I'm only repeating what I was told at the shop, and I would figure they'd know the history behind the hat and who ordered what. Regards. Michaelson

p.s. Shady Oaks could be ordered with bound or unbound edge.

Wild Root

Gone Home
He he he.LOL Good one, I'll see. Oh, here's a good open road for you to see, what do you guys think? Looks open crown... needs a good hand bash I think LOL Maybe the felt is to hard for that... would need a little steam.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StrangeRay