Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Photos from last night...

I began my 2nd week at the Noir City festival in Hollywood. Last night's double feature was the Hostage Noir Double Feature. These films were shown:

Hostage Ultra-Rare! HELL’S FIVE HOURS, 1958, Paramount, 73 min. Dir. Jack L. Copeland. Vic Morrow (THE BLACKBOARD JUNGLE), with a performance seemingly inspired from the bowels of a trailer park in a "Cops" rerun, goes maniacally postal on his ex-employer, a missile base that he intends to blow to kingdom come! The maddened Morrow pauses long enough to shanghai one of the original Dark City Dames, Coleen Gray, to make his resignation statement particularly deadly. Co-starring Stephen McNally, as Gray’s understandably concerned mate, and the ubiquitous Robert Foulk, this gut-check suspenser hasn’t been screened theatrically since the Earth cooled and is an emblematic example of the new veins of noir being jointly mined by the American Cinematheque and the Film Noir Foundation. A leading candidate as this year’s festival sleeper. Don’t miss it! NOT ON DVD

Rare! New 35mm Print! THE NIGHT HOLDS TERROR, 1955, Sony Repertory, 86 min. "Three young, empty-eyed killers, without mercy or morals, turn a private home into a house of horror!" Director Andrew L. Stone (THE LAST VOYAGE) was known for his vivid re-creations of both fictional and true-life stories, and here he pulls out all the stops, as usual, with stunning, down-and-dirty on-location shooting. John Cassavetes and Vince Edwards effortlessly project a Charlie Starkweather-type menace as part of a trio holding middle-class, average American Jack Kelly (Bart in the original "Maverick" TV series) and his family hostage in their suburban home. Based on a real-life hostage story that took place in 1953, the actual kidnappers were angry at the film’s depiction of their exploits because it ruined their chance for an appeal! NOT ON DVD Discussion in between films with actress Coleen Gray (HELL’S FIVE HOURS).

I should mention that Quentin Tarantino walked in and sat down right across from me.

I apologize for the graininess for these photos. The lighting inside the theater is very low/dim and I had to lighten these a great deal...

nchn5vk4.jpg

Yours truly with Eddie Mueller (the Czar of Noir, author of many books on Film Noir) and classic actress Coleen Gray.

nchn2mf6.jpg

One of my new friends, James Ellroy, author of LA Confidential and The Black Dahlia.

nchn4ls7.jpg

Eddie Mueller interviews Coleen Gray between films.

nchn3ic5.jpg

Friday night's crowd leaving the Hostage Noir Double Feature.

Tonight I head to the Peter Lorre Double Feature. :)

Miss Neecerie said:
Sadly, I ended up having to leave after the first film and discussion.....I got a massive headache from walking through Hollywood and Highland mall....:(

But the first film was spectacular!

Sorry to hear that :( Well at least you saw the more rare of the two films. The second film was really good too, had a very young John Cassavettes in it.

MrNewportCustom said:
You met Eddie Muller last night?? I just got his book, Dark City a couple days ago! And James Elroy! Wow!

Lee

Yessir :) I have Dark City also. Eddie is very nice. I'm friends with Alan Rode (Director of the Film Noir Foundation), so he introduced me to Eddie. I introduced myself to James Ellroy, who I might add is VERY outspoken and kind of vulgar, but in a funny way. I won't repeat something he said to me, this being a classy board :) But I will tell you that he hated The Black Dahlia film adaptation of his book.

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
I forgot this thing is happening again this year. QUICK! to the Film Noir Festival schedule page....

I saw The Wrong Man last year. A very unique film by Alfred Hitchcock.

Caroline

One of the Regulars
Midnight Palace said:
I introduced myself to James Ellroy, who I might add is VERY outspoken and kind of vulgar, but in a funny way. I won't repeat something he said to me, this being a classy board :) But I will tell you that he hated The Black Dahlia film adaptation of his book.

lol I'm not surprised he hated it! I've seen him read a number of times. Once, when he was asked about how he felt about the movie "Cop" with James Woods, which was an adaptation of one of his books, he went on and on about how he hated it, and that Woods' acting reminded him Donald Duck. He then proceeded to do this D.D. impression which was a riot!

Sounds like a fun time! Why I don't live in LA is a wonder...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo