Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Photos of cool jackets owned by others (non-brand specific)

red devil

My Mail is Forwarded Here
@ton312 never knew they did something as good as this! They should get back to this style!

b759e626-f867-4570-81df-e1763378049d-jpeg.369471

Imuricecreamman

One Too Many
I bought the blue wool 33. Jacket looks superb and it’s fully lined, unlike my 33. Really great stuff over there and quite affordable, particularly for me as the VAT gets dropped!
I thought you might go for one of the wool options. Great prices on everything.

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
View attachment 371205
I’m not sure the name of this band but I think they’re from South America (?) and photos was from New York Times

Seems like they're trying to capture the magic of the Roberta Bayley Punk Magazine photo of the Ramones in a New York street. (When this photo was taken, they hadn't established a house style yet in terms of which jacket.)

Bayley_Roberta_001_The_Ramones_HP.jpg

The fact that this band is from South America really buttresses this, because despite launching a whole wave of British copycats (who get credit for being the originals) and being the greatest band since the Beatles, they were basically ignored until after retirement in every part of the world except South America, where Ramonesmania was real.

This is also the perfect segue for the Ramones info dump I've been meaning to do here for ages, but didn't want to be out of context.

It was actually pretty early into the band's life that they adopted the Perfecto as a uniform. It was Tommy's band, and Johnny was big on keeping their image consistent. And the particular image was definitely chosen as a tribute to a sort of greaser/motorcyclist Americana for the hometown band of the ur-American city. Americana is a pretty major theme throughout. It also draws on the Silver Beatles.

84252_3.jpg

Dee Dee wears his slimmest (though not as tightly as popularly imagined; many photos show him wearing a thick hoodie underneath, and he had his zipped and buckled quite often), Johnny wears his pretty much 'just right', Joey's looks short because he was 6'6". Speaking of heights, Tommy was the one band member who wasn't tall, and he was always a little self conscious of this. This is also, I think, why (when he briefly adopted a cross-zip to go with the band uniform) his motorcycle jacket was actually a women's jacket. It took me a couple of years to figure out that it was a Harley-Davidson Cycle Queen.
The-Ramones.jpg

I did a forum search to see if someone had posted these jacket IDs before, but it seems not, so I'll also respond to some old posts (is it necro within the same thread?)
Not my pic, ( taken from another site) but from the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland. Joey Ramone's jacket was a Vanson.. not a Schott as I wouldve thought.

fd7c612d-4255-40ae-a827-7668ebbcb76d.jpeg

This is seems to be a fairly late in career jacket from the relative lack of wear, though it's definitely cool to see! (Then again, I hear Vansons never stop looking new.) Comes closer to the Perfecto design than most Vanson versions I've seen, too.

Quite so. They weremost famous, I think, for the Schotts, but they regularly switched out stage jackets, especially Joey. The other boys uwec to throw 'em off aftera number or two, but oey kept his on for shows. As I recall, he reckoned he got a few months out of a jacket before it got pongy and he opted for a new one. In the early days, Tommy wore a black leather jean-jacket type, and DeeDee sometihng akin to a leather MA1 (see the covershot on their legendary, eponymous debut album). By 77 they're all wearing lancer fronts, but much of the time Joey and Marky are both in Lewis jackets (Star Lightnings, if memory serves, at one point - notable for the sided buckles being round the back). The Schott era was really more into the eighties, as I recall it. Of course, Schott's marketing department will likely tell you Joey wore the same Scott as Jhonny Strabelr for his entire career. ;) :p

Joey's primary jacket in the band (once they got going) was indeed a Perfecto. Early into the band, he picked up the Lewis Lightning 402 (possibly during the famous '77 tour) and Twin-Track Bronx. The Schott era though is really there from the start, given Johnny specified the Perfecto during those early years of codifying the band's look.

As you note, the reason Joey had a relative variety of jackets was that unlike the others, he wore a jacket through the entirety of their set, regardless of the location or weather. The others would take theirs off halfway through due to the sheer heat. The roadies would rush up and switch out his jacket during transitions. I'm sure at least some of those were 'field replacements'.

I do wonder, though I wouldn't know who to ask except maybe Monte, who is the only person still around from the early days, but I wonder if Lewis did his up to measure (which was not so common with the American makers). With his height, off the rack Perfectos barely hit his waist let alone belt line, but his Lewis jacket seem to do just that. Maybe not, considering his Lewis hangs off the shoulder more, so it might just be a bigger size.

This is a nice picture of Johnny in the 613, Joey in the Lightning.
D4NCHtmWwAEQ49q

When Marc/Marky joined the band, he was wearing a Lightning as well, from his days with the Voidoids, sometimes a Monza.

When the cheaper Schott 418 (a budget 618 that featured the same construction with cheaper leather) came out, they started to wear that as a secondary jacket. (The immediate tell is the lack of piping around the zippers; likely a cost saving measure but one that gives it a very cool 40s rider look!) Most of the band had one or another at some point. The 418 is also what Richie and CJ were issued when they joined the band.

By this point in their lives, it's part of the band uniform, something that they put on to play but took off offstage for the most part. Of course, given that they played almost 200 shows a year, that's still going to be a lot more wear than we put into a pair of jackets.

The 613 you see on Johnny on the early album covers had been his jacket that he'd been wearing for about seven years before the band came together, which is why it's so nicely broken in on the debut's cover.

Edward

Bartender
Seems like they're trying to capture the magic of the Roberta Bayley Punk Magazine photo of the Ramones in a New York street. (When this photo was taken, they hadn't established a house style yet in terms of which jacket.)

The fact that this band is from South America really buttresses this, because despite launching a whole wave of British copycats (who get credit for being the originals) and being the greatest band since the Beatles, they were basically ignored until after retirement in every part of the world except South America, where Ramonesmania was real.

This is also the perfect segue for the Ramones info dump I've been meaning to do here for ages, but didn't want to be out of context.

It was actually pretty early into the band's life that they adopted the Perfecto as a uniform. It was Tommy's band, and Johnny was big on keeping their image consistent. And the particular image was definitely chosen as a tribute to a sort of greaser/motorcyclist Americana for the hometown band of the ur-American city. Americana is a pretty major theme throughout. It also draws on the Silver Beatles.

84252_3.jpg

Dee Dee wears his slimmest (though not as tightly as popularly imagined; many photos show him wearing a thick hoodie underneath, and he had his zipped and buckled quite often), Johnny wears his pretty much 'just right', Joey's looks short because he was 6'6". Speaking of heights, Tommy was the one band member who wasn't tall, and he was always a little self conscious of this. This is also, I think, why (when he briefly adopted a cross-zip to go with the band uniform) his motorcycle jacket was actually a women's jacket. It took me a couple of years to figure out that it was a Harley-Davidson Cycle Queen.
The-Ramones.jpg

I did a forum search to see if someone had posted these jacket IDs before, but it seems not, so I'll also respond to some old posts (is it necro within the same thread?)

This is seems to be a fairly late in career jacket from the relative lack of wear, though it's definitely cool to see! (Then again, I hear Vansons never stop looking new.) Comes closer to the Perfecto design than most Vanson versions I've seen, too.

Joey's primary jacket in the band (once they got going) was indeed a Perfecto. Early into the band, he picked up the Lewis Lightning 402 (possibly during the famous '77 tour) and Twin-Track Bronx. The Schott era though is really there from the start, given Johnny specified the Perfecto during those early years of codifying the band's look.

As you note, the reason Joey had a relative variety of jackets was that unlike the others, he wore a jacket through the entirety of their set, regardless of the location or weather. The others would take theirs off halfway through due to the sheer heat. The roadies would rush up and switch out his jacket during transitions. I'm sure at least some of those were 'field replacements'.

I do wonder, though I wouldn't know who to ask except maybe Monte, who is the only person still around from the early days, but I wonder if Lewis did his up to measure (which was not so common with the American makers). With his height, off the rack Perfectos barely hit his waist let alone belt line, but his Lewis jacket seem to do just that. Maybe not, considering his Lewis hangs off the shoulder more, so it might just be a bigger size.

D4NCHtmWwAEQ49q

When Marc/Marky joined the band, he was wearing a Lightning as well, from his days with the Voidoids, sometimes a Monza.

When the cheaper Schott 418 (a budget 618 that featured the same construction with cheaper leather) came out, they started to wear that as a secondary jacket. (The immediate tell is the lack of piping around the zippers; likely a cost saving measure but one that gives it a very cool 40s rider look!) Most of the band had one or another at some point. The 418 is also what Richie and CJ were issued when they joined the band.

By this point in their lives, it's part of the band uniform, something that they put on to play but took off offstage for the most part. Of course, given that they played almost 200 shows a year, that's still going to be a lot more wear than we put into a pair of jackets.

The 613 you see on Johnny on the early album covers had been his jacket that he'd been wearing for about seven years before the band came together, which is why it's so nicely broken in on the debut's cover.

Excellent information, thanks. It's funny that for a band whose look was so important - both to them and to the legions of people they inspired - I've never seen a full breakdown of what they wore across the years. Should be really, given how influential they were.

I seem to remember it was Johnny who came up with the uniform concept in the early days; if the photos I've seen post-96 are anything to go by, he was also the one who stuck most faithfully to it away from the band, even into retirement. There's a bit in Dee Dee's autobiography where he talks about how much he hated wearing the ripped, blue jeans on stage, especially when kids in the crowd would grab them and rip them down.

South America was definitely the biggest and most intense Ramones fanbase: I love the deadpan commentary from the boys themselves on that old footage of them driving through... I think it was Rio? ... in a tourvan, and all the fans chasing them. "What do they want?" "Body parts."

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up

84252_3.jpg

The-Ramones.jpg

D4NCHtmWwAEQ49q

Great info, thanks.

Leigh H

Practically Family
Is this the jacket assumed to be his Indian Ranger or did he have both, I wonder?

It's clearly a different jacket. I'm not even sure its legit.

'As legend would have it, Hickman rescued the jacket from the car after the wreck, preventing it from being lost or stolen. The jacket is in Excellent condition with mild overall wear from having been worn and broken by Dean'

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko