Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pipe Smokers Unite!

hatguy1

One Too Many
The longer the stem the cooler the temperature of the smoke.

Visited the tobacconist today and bought a briar (will post a pic later). Not a terribly expensive one, but kind of a move up from the corn cob (which I plan to keep). When I was in there, they had wooden Churchwardens on sale for $50 and one from olive wood for $110. Was soooo tempted. But stuck with the original plan and just bought the regular hooked briar.

A churchwarden is in the plans though if this hobby continues.

New briar.JPG

Last edited:
Visited the tobacconist today and bought a briar (will post a pic later). Not a terribly expensive one, but kind of a move up from the corn cob (which I plan to keep). When I was in there, they had wooden Churchwardens on sale for $50 and one from olive wood for $110. Was soooo tempted. But stuck with the original plan and just bought the regular hooked briar.

A churchwarden is in the plans though if this hobby continues.

Very nice. Just remember that wood pipes need to be broken in, and they need to rest between smokes. Also, pipes aren't "hooked", they're "bent". You'll see that term often.

hatguy1

One Too Many
Caught a rerun of the 1977 Gregory Peck classic "MacArthur." Old Mac smoked a serious corn cob pipe, apparently.

MacArthur Peck.jpg macarthur_pipe_400.jpg

Sure puts my shorter bent corn cob to shame.
corn cob.JPG

Last edited:

hatguy1

One Too Many
You can still get the exact version of MacArthur's pipe from the same company, Missouri Meerschaum. It retails for about $10.

Thanks, Hudson. Looked them up on the web. Thought perhaps - given their history in the craft - they were the folks who made Mac's corncobs. I will keep them in mind and perhaps purchase one from them just for the historical novelty of it.

On the webpage where you can order the MacArthur Corn Cob Pipe it says, "Our MacArthur pipe is the pipe made famous by General Douglas MacArthur. It was made for him at our plant in Washington to his precise specifications. It is offered in two different versions, both being unfiltered. The bent stem version has a polished bowl while the straight stem has a totally natural bowl. We proudly still offer this pipe as a tribute to the General and to all our military men and women."

Not sure I can get into pipe smokin' women, but whatever.

Last edited:

hatguy1

One Too Many
Do you feel like liberating an island after you some it? :p

Ha, ha! I noticed one of the pipe's reviewers mentioned that.... I haven't purchased one yet. Would like to swing by their plant in Washington, MO and see them made and buy one there. Don't know if that would ever happen, but would add another cool dimension to the pipe if I owned one.

Seraph1227

One of the Regulars
I have a churchwarden, a peterson Sherlock Holmes Deerslayer, and a cheapie little chinese one that I picked up on a whim. I sure do miss talking to Jim at the Tobacco Barn in Lake Forest Ca, he was a real authority.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana