Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

pleasant surprise at the cobbler today

davestlouis

Practically Family
I picked up 5 pairs of shoes from my local cobbler, they came back in a large paper Kroger's bag (classy huh?), which is the way this particular vendor has always returned shoes. Anyway, everything looked just fine, until I got to the bottom shoes in the bag. They are an older pair of LL Bean tassel loafers that had cheap Neolite heels that he was replacing. Lo and behold, they were returned with those cool Cats Paw heels with the two round white "dots" on bottom of the heels. I didn't specify what kind of heels I wanted, it was dumb luck, but I like the way these heels look and feel...they wear well too. Guess it doesn't take much to excite me...

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
Nice that you got a good deal on those heels from your Cobbler. It is very nice that we still have individuals fixing our shoes for us, good ones are few and far between, sounds like yours is really good!

bl@ster

One of the Regulars
Funny you should post this today. I went to my cobbler today to pick up a pair of Allen Edmonds I was having topy's put on. I asked him about his vintage Cat's Paw heels on display. And he goes "They're very old. Here, I'll give you some!" and he gave me 3 Cat's Paw heels in the original box. I thanked him twice. Very cool. Funny that this happened to us both on the same day :)

davestlouis

Practically Family
I was just reading something a cobbler posted on another forum...apparently the white lugs were built-in wear indicators...when the white lugs were gone, time for new heels.

We have a great one out here - just picked up our annual load. They use old school equipment and processes. Decent prices and they do the hard stuff. I'd be lost I'd they left.

BR Gordon

One Too Many
You're lucky to have a good local cobbler. We haven't found one here, so everything is sent to one in New Jersey. They do beautiful work and prices are reasonable, if you ignore shipping costs. To date it's been worth the effort.

davestlouis

Practically Family
I read recently that there were 200,000 cobblers in the US in 1950, and approximately 4,000 now. People buy disposable shoes and leather goods, it seems to be a trade that is dying off, like real barbers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk