Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

please...help me look a LITTLE less silly

jjunner

New in Town
hello all,

I recently started a new job, and part of our uniform is a Biltmore Nylon braided hat, with a semi-western brim. (BUS6116 is the biltmore id number of the hat). now the problem is that it is really badly in need of some shaping, but i haven't the slightest idea of how to shape a nylon hat. any pointers? should I just use steam as if it were a fur felt? Please help, because the uniform I have to wear is rediculous, so I should atleast have a nicely styled hat! thanks...

Jeff

thefedorastore

A-List Customer
Steam is a good start

Steam is the friend of almost every fabric, including nylon. Don't know if it will work for you, but it should certainly not hurt your hat. I use steam even for my nice silk summer shirts. Always better than a hot iron. Give it a try! PLEASE NOTE: Some sweatband materials do not take kindly to steam, so I would keep it to the outside of the hat.

Pilgrim

One Too Many
The only hazard you should encounter is melting the fabric, but that's hardly likely.

Put a teakettle on, crank up the heat, then hold the outside of the hat in the stem for 10-20 seconds (use your own judgement), moving it around so you get to the target area. Remove it and try shaping gently. Repeat as needed.

If it's the brim that's the problem (maybe it's a weird shape), you might try sitting it on an ironing board, then set an iron to moderate heat with steam. put a worn (thin) hand towel over the brim so the iron does not contact it directly. Iron gently to flatten the brim. Start with just a few seconds of heat exposure; increase if needed. Do this at your own risk - remember, the one thing you do NOT want to do is get the hat material hot enough to melt.

SHARPETOYS

Call Me a Cab
Biltmore milan straw...

The Biltmore milan straw is really a twisted paper hat made to look like straw. The material is coated in resin. The steam will work to help style the hat.

I found these hats are very hot since they are not a natural material as real straw... When I wear the one I have I feel like I have a shower cap on its so hot.

Good luck

jjunner

New in Town
well thanks for all of the help. I will try using steam to make it a little stylish. Maybe i can convince them to go with some new Panama's...but that is unlikely to happen. oh well, shower cap hat it is. maybe i will just show up one day wearing my adventurebilt instead....

Russ

One of the Regulars
I'm dying to know what kind of job you landed that requires a hat. It sounds like your employers' heart is in the right place at least.

jjunner

New in Town
I work at a zoo and the uniform is kinda safari'ish and we have to wear those hats whenever we are outside. It's good that they chose functional hats, in terms of brim width and whatnot, but since they don't breathe at all, its going to be like an oven on my head this summer. Its in the middle I guess...better than a baseball hat, but not as good as a panama or any other natural material.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy