Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Please Help Me Pick A Motorcycle Jacket

Vespizzare

A-List Customer
I'm no jacket expert, but other things being equal I think a "main" jacket is better if it has effective venting. If there are alternate jackets, then they don't have to be vented, but I think it's better if you have that option.

R90S

New in Town
I second the suggestion of Langlitz. I own two, and there are several more in my close family.
You will need to be measured for the tailored fitting, and you may need to wait for delivery, but it will be a jacket like no other.
Here is their detailed website (intended for the Japanese market):

http://www.langlitzjapan.com/columbia.html

...and their custom options page:

http://www.langlitzjapan.com/custommade.html

Cheers,

Jon-Lars

dr.velociraptor

One of the Regulars
If I need venting on a bike I'm wearing a vest or a t-shirt. I know that isn't ATGATT but it is reality, for me at least. I'm not wearing a heavy leather in the summer anyway so i don't need or want venting on my heavy leather. I may look into some textile stuff for the next summer as I get older and less invincible. But having a very heavy thick leather with venting is pointless to me.

I always wanted to love Fox Creek jackets I just don't, I don't like the styling and some of the stuff I bought from there was ehhh.

Last edited:

Vespizzare

A-List Customer
Maybe I'm a weather wimp and put on a leather jacket where others might feel comfortable in a tee shirt. Maybe it's driving inland from near the beach, where it's always cooler. I just know sometimes I'll be wearing my Vanson Teton and all of a sudden it starts to feel a little clammy. At those times I'm so happy to be able open the sort of jet scoop in the elbows and expose mesh only over my chest. Add to that the air up the open cuffs and it all blows out a back vent across the shoulder blades. And you can sort of fine tune it depending. Nirvana.

Photoon2012-01-04at1244.jpg

Last edited:

ShrunkinCowboy

New in Town
For summer riding, I'm usually in a vented and armored Cordura jacket.
Light-weight AND cool.
Yeah, you give up the protection of a leather jacket.
But when it's a 100+ degrees out, I do NOT like feeling like a leg-of-lamb on a rotating spit.

Steve

Edward

Bartender
For summer riding, I'm usually in a vented and armored Cordura jacket.
Light-weight AND cool.
Yeah, you give up the protection of a leather jacket.
But when it's a 100+ degrees out, I do NOT like feeling like a leg-of-lamb on a rotating spit.

Steve

Yeah. I've only ever gone pillion myself, but in some of the extremes of US Summer heat (I'm a pure Celt - anything much above 25 celcius is simply unbearable to me) I'd consider armoured heavy leather to be a liability. I think I'd be more prone to a spill if I was so overheated I felt ill. For that sort of situation, I'd be looking for something along the lines of an armoured Barbour International.

Red Baron

Banned
I don't ride a motorcycle, myself, but this is my favorite biker jacket that I've seen: http://www.aeroleatherclothing.com/product-detail.php?id=192. It reminds me of the old Buco jackets a little bit. Also, the Fox Creek and stuff is very functional with vents and kidney pads but this one from Aero will improve with age. The patina will just look better and better and the graining will begin to approach perfection. The steer hide from the other places will grain up nice but it won't touch the Aero as it ages, IMHO. This Aero will look much better after ten years of heavy use than it does new brand.

cdnwatchguy

New in Town
Hi, been lurking here a long time but never posted. I have a couple of Aero jackets and a couple of proper motorcycle jackets. The reality is these days is technology has moved on for motorcycle jackets. Simply having a thick hide isn't enough. I wouldn't ride with a jacket without armour. Elbows, shoulders and back. I have a Fox Creek Grayson jacket with Knoxx armour and it is great. It has zipered vents for warm days and is made for motorcycling. Another option is a ballistic nylon jacket which offers great protection and light weight. I agree also with what has been mentioned that most zip out liners are worthless and leave a strip right down the front that is not insulated. You are better off to have a lightweight insulated vest or jacket to go under the motorcycle jacket. Better yet, a Tourmaster heated vest or jacket liner.
You still can get a nice looking jacket that has the bells and whistles you need for safe motoring if you do some shopping. I really suggest trying on the jacket rather than buying online, and don't forget to try it on while sitting on a bike similar to the one you ride.
cheers.

robatsu

New in Town
robatsu, curious, what did you end up getting?

Neither of the two. I bought this sale item from Lost Worlds:

RoadmasterBW-3.jpg

RoadmasterBW-2.jpg

RoadmasterBW-1.jpg

Kind of a bold move, I was a little hesitant about buying it, but I've ended up really liking the jacket. Not quite as functional as a dedicated MC jacket, but that's ok. Lost Worlds has their well known weird site, but the customer service was fine - even for a sale/clearance item like this. First one was too large, sent it back, got the second one back immediately.

I'm surprised that this jacket isn't more popular, the Roadmaster style. Sure, the two tone ones are probably not for everyone, but the solid black ones seem like a worthy item, I was a little surprised that there wasn't much discussion/recognition of this model as there is for more popular LW/Aero, etc, high end horsehide jackets.

jksu

Familiar Face
Hi, been lurking here a long time but never posted. I have a couple of Aero jackets and a couple of proper motorcycle jackets. The reality is these days is technology has moved on for motorcycle jackets. Simply having a thick hide isn't enough. I wouldn't ride with a jacket without armour. Elbows, shoulders and back. I have a Fox Creek Grayson jacket with Knoxx armour and it is great. It has zipered vents for warm days and is made for motorcycling. Another option is a ballistic nylon jacket which offers great protection and light weight. I agree also with what has been mentioned that most zip out liners are worthless and leave a strip right down the front that is not insulated. You are better off to have a lightweight insulated vest or jacket to go under the motorcycle jacket. Better yet, a Tourmaster heated vest or jacket liner.
You still can get a nice looking jacket that has the bells and whistles you need for safe motoring if you do some shopping. I really suggest trying on the jacket rather than buying online, and don't forget to try it on while sitting on a bike similar to the one you ride.
cheers.

welcome to the forum!

i'm with you 100%, literally. love my foxcreek grayson for riding too. having gone down a couple of times, and now with a couple of little ones at home, i ride with a helmet, jacket, and gloves all the time...even short trips to the store.

modern gear is fantastic. i have 2 textiles that are very light -- summer's mesh and more cooler than any perforated leather, and the winter waterproof jacket which is warmer and lighter than the grayson.

but of course, we all love leather, so as long as it's between about 50-70, which is often here, i like to wear the fox creek to ride. i agree, the warm and upper back vents work incredibly well. i have sas-tec armor in the grayson, a very light, molds to your body military-tech armor...upon impact it hardens instantly, amazing stuff.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy