Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Please talk me out of buying a Fislon #86 wool packer coat.

The questions comes down to:
if you buy the coat when will you wear it
will it be sufficient for your needs

You have questions already as to it not really being what you want and that it falls short for your needs.

Go for a good peacoat instead.

JLStorm

Practically Family
Man, you guys would hate my big shearling aero then!

wearingshearling3cut.jpg

OneEyeMan

Practically Family
I've always loved this coat and the Double Mackinaw.
But I must say I'm surprised to learn that it's a lighter weight wool than my Post WWII Pea Coat.
I have one of their wool vests, and it's nice and thick, but not as dense as the Pea Coat.
Lenny

MushroomMan

New in Town
“I have to agree with this statement. It looks to me like a warm coat styled for a working environment: e.g. ranch, farm, or backyard. I don't know exactly why I think that, but it doesn't look causal or dressy to me: it looks like a working coat. You might want to consider this coat if you want to use it for laboring outside in the cold.”
I know this post is old, but this made me laugh and cry at the same time. The reason you get this feeling is because it was once made for exactly the purposes you stated. Everything Filson used to make was real workwear, and it had a reputation for absolute quality and second to none customer service. Now they have become a laughing stock. They recently released this coat in a hipsterized, cotton lined version for a $200 price hike. This, of course, destroys the jacket’s function as an incredible outer layer. I have been sitting in sub zero wind storms with freezing rain during winters in Western Montana and Northern Michigan in my vintage wool packer, and I can assure you, it is very warm. I actually own two of these.. I purchased another vintage wool packer when I saw what they had replaced it with. Seattle cut bullshit, use if synthetic materials, shit customer service... C.C. Filson is rolling in his grave. If you can find the original, unlined Wool Packer and you actually use workwear in adverse conditions, you won’t be disappointed. It really is sad to see what has happened to this company. It seems they have really started to take a dive in the last few years in particular.

bobm

A-List Customer
“I have to agree with this statement. It looks to me like a warm coat styled for a working environment: e.g. ranch, farm, or backyard. I don't know exactly why I think that, but it doesn't look causal or dressy to me: it looks like a working coat. You might want to consider this coat if you want to use it for laboring outside in the cold.”
I know this post is old, but this made me laugh and cry at the same time. The reason you get this feeling is because it was once made for exactly the purposes you stated. Everything Filson used to make was real workwear, and it had a reputation for absolute quality and second to none customer service. Now they have become a laughing stock. They recently released this coat in a hipsterized, cotton lined version for a $200 price hike. This, of course, destroys the jacket’s function as an incredible outer layer. I have been sitting in sub zero wind storms with freezing rain during winters in Western Montana and Northern Michigan in my vintage wool packer, and I can assure you, it is very warm. I actually own two of these.. I purchased another vintage wool packer when I saw what they had replaced it with. Seattle cut bullshit, use if synthetic materials, shit customer service... C.C. Filson is rolling in his grave. If you can find the original, unlined Wool Packer and you actually use workwear in adverse conditions, you won’t be disappointed. It really is sad to see what has happened to this company. It seems they have really started to take a dive in the last few years in particular.

As you can see in my Avatar, I have that packer coat - bought it about 4 years ago. Absolutely love that coat and it is very warm - particularly with a heavy shirt and sweater in pretty cold weather and that collar when buttoned up keeps most of my face and ears warm, though my shearling lined B2 (?) jacket was warmer when I was in Vermont 2 years ago. Bottom line - a very warm jacket that will last a long, long time. I am not a rancher or cowboy or anything of the sort, but I like Filson products - as I have a preference for older style, non-techy clothing, particularly USA made, and think this jacket fits the bill just walking around town or the woods. I have I've gotten compliments on it - which was kind of a surprise as with that huge collar - it will stand out. If you happen to be a city dweller and are faint of heart this isn't the jacket for you. Regarding adding a cotton lining to the Packer coat, I don't think it's a bad idea as cotton breathes well and helps to block the wind. The old Woolrich 503 hunting jacket has had a cotton twill lining for a zillion years and I wore one recently and it does help in blocking the wind. To your points about what direction Filson has been going in the last few years, I don't entirely disagree with you. But they are far from producing junk clothes and yes many of their clothes - as well as their models are kinda hipster, but the hardcore stuff - the wool and tin/shelter cloth jackets, vests and sweaters, most boots, socks and gloves are of no lesser quality than in prior years.
Frankly I don't think Filson would survive if it did not expand its market beyond the lumberjacks, oil riggers, farmers, cowboys etc. And frankly if I were one of those people in those trades I'd give serious thought to clothes from Duluth Trading Company for some applications and conditions.

Peacoat

Bartender
Seattle cut bullshit,
You obviously have more experience with Filson than I do, but the two Filson vests I have are of good quality.

My question is, I thought the "Seattle cut" only referred to a trimmer fit? It is what I was considering in the Mackinaw or double Mackinaw. Is there something else I need to consider in the change in construction of the Mackinaw?

BTW, welcome to the Lounge. PC

bobm

A-List Customer
I'm not MushroomMan, but the Seattle fit is simply a slimmer fit than the traditional (Alaska fit). I m not sure if sleeve length is affected or not. As far as I know, construction/quality is the same in both fits.

MushroomMan

New in Town
You obviously have more experience with Filson than I do, but the two Filson vests I have are of good quality.

My question is, I thought the "Seattle cut" only referred to a trimmer fit? It is what I was considering in the Mackinaw or double Mackinaw. Is there something else I need to consider in the change in construction of the Mackinaw?

BTW, welcome to the Lounge. PC

Thanks for the welcome. Why the Seattle fit bothers me is because now Filson sizing is all over the place. They used to use your actual chest size. So my wool packers are 40 and 42, depending on how much layering I want. I purchased a more recently made jacket that was size medium only to find out that it is medium Seattle cut, and it is far too small for me. I'm not into tight clothing. Workwear is supposed to be loose fitting so you can work in it.. move around, chop wood, fix fence, etc. It is just heartbreaking to me, a diehard Filson fan, to see the direction the company has gone. The reason the lining is a downgrade to the packer is because it is cotton. If you sweat and get that cotton liner wet, you just might freeze. I can understand offering a lined version, but they took away the standard work packer, a Filson staple product for many years, and replaced it with something lesser for real working conditions. I guess if you are actually on a pack horse and sitting all day, you might like that lining. I, however, prefer to stay warm and out of the wind by layering. Part of why I'm so angry is that I was going to purchase a second packer from Filson, the larger size, only to see it had disappeared from the catalog entirely. I was shocked by this, so I called the company and they assured me that they would be "reintroducing" it, so I could get it then. Then they come out with a limited edition wool print, one I don't like, line it, hike the price by hundreds of dollars, and never offer the original product I had asked about. On top of all that, the limited edition sold out very quickly. I was able to find an early nineties release solid crimson red Filson Packer. The people at Filson customer service are so clueless these days, they don't even know what year it was released. This was a company that kept detailed records of all their products and variations. Now I see "restoration department bags selling for more than my old school bridle leather briefcase! I really, really can't stand the use of synthetics in their products. Part of Filson's appeal is that it used only natural fibers. As my name suggests, I hunt mushrooms. High tech jackets won't last ten minutes where I have to crawl to hunt. My Tin Cruiser, however is going twenty years strong, and the only reason I replaced the first one was because I got shot in the first one! I digress... $10,000.00 knives, Stanley containers that aren't even branded with the Filson name, Photo shoots that must cost tens if not hundreds of thousands of dollars to produce... They should go back to their roots and try to make amends with the men and women that depended on, and purchased their products for 100 years.

MushroomMan

New in Town
I'm not MushroomMan, but the Seattle fit is simply a slimmer fit than the traditional (Alaska fit). I m not sure if sleeve length is affected or not. As far as I know, construction/quality is the same in both fits.

I don't mean to suggest that everything they make these days is garbage. Filson still makes some very high quality garments and luggage. I probably have somewhere around 50 pieces of clothing and luggage from Filson. I tend to get all of my things used now. One great thing about people buying Filson coats for fashion is that they wear them twice, then sell them on eBay for 1/3 the price. Also I think Filson has done some really great work in recent years. The Nigel Cabourn X Filson jackets, all of them, are spectacular. They are functional work wear pieces that look very nice too. In that case, however, I think Filson rose to Cabourn's standards and therefore made stellar pieces. I'm not entirely opposed to Filson diversifying and adding a "High End City" line, but not at the expense of their core line.

To argue the "Seattle fit" (which I am glad for!) - work wear is indeed for working, but it's also current fashion, and as such, the 90's cuts of many older brands don't work for athletic or younger people who are still in good shape.
They carry both, so finding something that fits should be easy. I have had good luck reading the fit guides and looking through reviews. Of course, nothing beats going there and trying things on, but I am happy to see Filson, Woolrich, etc. offer modern cuts that don't look like Dad clothes.

bobm

A-List Customer
MushroomMan,

You make some very good points and you wearing Filson clothing for utility, I can understand your frustration. Regarding that lined packer coat and sweat freezing, I guess the answer to that is a wool sweater over your shirt. But they are making a huge mistake if they are going to discontinue that wool packer coat. I also own several Filson coats, vests, shirts, jacket liners, luggage, socks, hats and even 2 pair of leather suspenders.
But this aside, something I was disappointed in was their lighter weight (cover sloth?) jackets - after only a few years of street wearing, it developed small holes around the cuffs. I sent it back to Filson and they fixed it. I've had many jackets over the years and not one developed holes in them. The other issue is the fact that they promote the waxed cloth jackets - tin and shelter cloth jackets as almost impervious to heavy rain and many, many customers agreed with that in their online reviews. I was terribly disappointed in it's ability to shed water - this even when brand new and later after a solid re-treating with Filson' wax. My Barbour jacket fared way better in the rain.

Last edited:

MushroomMan

New in Town
I wish they'd make that coat in a few other colors,too...

My solid bright red packer arrived recently after I purchased it on eBay. It is stunning, if you ask me, and it is a fully functional work coat.

I paid $430 BNWT for it and I regret not buying the second just to resell now that you can't get the original packer anymore. The price of the standard packers are going up on eBay now that you can't purchase one from Filson.
The bright red serves a couple real life functions. It is highly visible, so only the drunkest of hunters will shoot you when wearing it, and if you are in a real snow storm.. the kind where you can get lost going from the house to the barn, you are ,again, highly visible.

bobm

A-List Customer
I just called Filson and I think you are right - they (or at least the person I spoke with) doesn't have much of a clue regarding this coat's status - the original one, not the lined limited edition. I have mine already - hello avatar, but I can't imagine them not continuing with the original wool packer as that's a staple, so the only thing I could think of is that the only way to push the new one is to make it the only one available. Not a good move.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR