Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pocket Knife

Jaxenro

One of the Regulars
IMG_0175.JPG Do you carry a "dress" pocket knife? I have this little pearl handled Case knife I carry in a suede case in my pocket

HanauMan

Practically Family
I have a Buck mini Bantam on my key ring and I also have a Buck Bantam with a 3'' blade for day to day use. I also have my dad's old Buck 110 and leather case and my old BSA pocket knife for when I'm out hiking. None of 'em are little dress knives!

Edward

Bartender
I have several I keep lying around. The two that get most use are an older, bone-handled two-blade, and an Elk Ridge branded one that I bought for a couple of pounds from a knife seller that was closing down because - they said - eBay UK was stopping selling knives on there. I mostly keep these two lying in my office, don't tend to carry a knife at all times very often.

Lefty W.

One of the Regulars
I have a similar pocket knife with pearl scales on it that I use as a dress knife.

My long-time "day-knife" was a Henckels stockman model with imitation tortoise scales. I whipped that out one day to cut a piece of string, and my brother pronounced it a bit "showy."

My father always used to say that a man was worth an extra quarter ($0.25) an hour if he carried a pocket knife.

Jaxenro

One of the Regulars
Inflation probably bumps that quarter up

Used to be a time every man carried a pen or pocket knife

Jaxenro

One of the Regulars
The little pearl scaled dress knives that Lefty mentioned would be called a Fruit Knife on this side of the pond. Alas the carrying of knives here would result in 10 years hard labour at Her Majesty's Pleasure.
Wow. Here it varies by state but you are usually good under 3" bade. I forget what it is in my state I have a weapons permit so essentially up to a sword blade is legal

Davy Crockett

A-List Customer
I carry a little Victorinox executive in black, a very useful little knife (and good for peeling oranges!), and when out in the country I supplement this with an Opinel No 6

D

jacketjunkie

Call Me a Cab
I own a number of Laguiole and Buck folders one of which I always have with me. I prefer the Laguioles over the Bucks though, dressier and available in the most stunning handle variations and there are models with a corkscrew.

Macbeth

One of the Regulars
I used to carry the Case PEANUT.
THEN I MOVED TO THE case SWAYBACK JACK with India Stag.

My only problem is they tend to fall out of my pocket when I sit down and consequently have lost 3 of the Jacks!!I love that Wharnclife blade.

Preacher Man

A-List Customer
Yes sir I do Jaxenro. My most oft used dress knife is my little 2 blade Keen Cutter that once belonged to my grandfather. It's about 3 inches long with celluloid handles. I've been a knife nut for over 40 years, carry lots of different ones, love em all!! You've got a very handsome specimen. I know you're proud of it!

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
This is going to sound weird, but -- Is there such a thing as a legal (depending on your jurisdiction, of course) folding pocket knife that can flick open? Not a switchblade, of course. But I see listings for "assisted opening" or "spring-loaded" folding knives, and I'm not sure what that means. It would be nice, if I have to cut open a box at work, to be able to fish my knife out of my briefcase and flick it open one-handed.

AbridgedPause

One of the Regulars
This is a nice thread! I live in the country so I always have my Swiss Army pocket knife with me, along with my Zippo lighter and Zippo measuring tape (the old square one not the new round one). I'd love to find a vintage pocket knife or switchblade in good condition though. Someone told me switchblades were illegal now though?

If I had the money I'd purchase a Jason Hawk knife, the guy from Mountain Men. His knives are really nice! Definitely outdoor knives though, not something you carry in the pocket of your 3-piece suit.
http://www.jasonhawkknives.com/

Last edited:

AbridgedPause

One of the Regulars
This is going to sound weird, but -- Is there such a thing as a legal (depending on your jurisdiction, of course) folding pocket knife that can flick open? Not a switchblade, of course. But I see listings for "assisted opening" or "spring-loaded" folding knives, and I'm not sure what that means. It would be nice, if I have to cut open a box at work, to be able to fish my knife out of my briefcase and flick it open one-handed.

43442_s7

I have one of these as a box cutter. They slide back in when not in use and after a little wear (or stretching the metal casing) you can get it so it slides open really easily, or with a simple tap on the back of the cutter, on the surface you're working on.

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
43442_s7

I have one of these as a box cutter. They slide back in when not in use and after a little wear (or stretching the metal casing) you can get it so it slides open really easily, or with a simple tap on the back of the cutter, on the surface you're working on.
That's nice. I do have a box cutter in my desk drawer, though, so I was looking for something I could slip into my messenger bag-style briefcase and carry for other uses. Do any of them come with wood or bone inlays like jackknives?

Jaxenro

One of the Regulars

Plenty of one hand opening knives around. Many use a thumb stud in the blade so you use your thumb to open while holding the handle in the same hand. Switchblades are actually legal in many places but not needed. Just google one hand opening knives and you will see a bunch all prices and types

The case trapperlock looks traditional yet is one handed opening

https://www.knifecenter.com/kc_new/...erlocks&waDESCRIPTIONdatarq=case trapperlock&

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko