Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pocketwatches

DC3

New in Town
Here is my guide for pocket watch wear. BTW I have 5 of them.
I like wearing a vest either with a suit or casually, so I put one in the left pocket with an appropriate chain.
With a two piece suit, or just a nice shirt and pants, it hangs from a belt clip chain and is in one of the front pockets. It will also be the type that has a cover to prevent scratching the crystal, as you normally carry other items in your pocket.

WideBrimm

A-List Customer
John Warr said:
Waistcoat pocket every time. Just have a waistcoat for every occasion :)
The trouble with having the chain running from one's belt to a trouser pocket is threefold.
1) One looks like a prison guard
2)The chain will inevitably catch on a door handle, bringing one up short and potentially damaging watch, chain and pocket.
3) The watch will fall out of one's pocket and fly behind one's motorcycle like a demented fishing lure. This will also do the watch no good at all.

Replacing grandpa's pocket watch - priceless :)

2) This always happens to me whenever I'm wearing a waistcoat without a coat over it. :eek: Thus I try to prevent such mishaps by stuffing any excess chain into the pocket with the watch. :D

3) This I gotta see ! :eusa_doh:

Highlander

A-List Customer
Well, it depends on what I am wearing. Just a shirt and jeans/duckins, I button it to the placket of my shirt and put it in my pocket (a friend makes most of my shirts and is now putting a small pocket inside the pocket so as not to weigh down the front of the pocket.

NewMexico05007-vi.jpg

For occasions that I have on a vest, I put it in the vest pocket.

Highlander

A-List Customer
Or in the Vest,(the photo doesn't show the chain and fob, as the vest is rather flashy)... But you can see the gold Masonic Fob if you look closely. It shows up better in real life.
scotchatthetinniesilverdollar-vi.jpg

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Hey Highlander,

Your first photograph is how I wear my pocket watch on a daily basis; in the breast-pocket of my shirt. In fact, that's how I'm wearing it right now! :)

Highlander

A-List Customer
Shanagas, yes, I like it there. As I said, my GF makes many of my 1880's style shirts and I talked her into putting a small pocket with the top even with the shirt pocket sho it doesn't weigh down the regular pocket, It works quite well.

ANd it's handy there too.

Nathan

Familiar Face
I wear mine in my pants pocket most of the time but I do worry about all the bouncing around the watch does when worn this way. I think the vest pocket arrangement is probably best for the watch itself...

R.A. Stewart

Familiar Face
Thanks (a little belatedly) for many good ideas, gentlemen. I will be using several of them. Among other things a couple of vests are definitely in order--I have some, but I got them several years ago, and now there is (ahem) the problem of buttoning them ... a whole other issue, alas. :rolleyes: I'll be doing my little expenditures in February, as I'm budgeting for Christmas and then a bit of travel.

If I can get hold of my kid's camera I'll still photograph that watch!

Rich

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
Best source for a vintage gold pocket watch?

Is there any reliable source for vintage/antique solid gold pocket watches? I've been wishing to invest in one for a while. I'm hesitant about eBay; I doubt the people really know what they're doing. And I don't think a regular jewelers would have anything vintage or antique. So I'm honestly at a loss. Does anyone have some insight?

Thanks,
flute

sixties.nut

Some Insight

Now is definately not the time to be looking into investing into anything gold. Unless of course you have no other interesting hobbies to invest in. Buying a timepiece like this on an auction site is practically like throwing away good money as well. Should you still wish to invest in a good timepiece, then it is advisable to shop directly with an authorized distributor of the brand you seek. It will not only ensure the integrity of the works but will also have the assurance / warranty factor built in. Best of Luck in your search.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Hi Flute,

I'm a big fan of gold pocket watches (I have three), but keep in mind that SOLID GOLD watch-cases are very expensive. There aren't many left any more, because idiots keep melting them down for scrap. In fact my three watches are all gold-filled, which is about the best you can get these days anyway. My watches date from 1899, 1926 and 1960, respectively. Two Walthams and a Ball.

A few tips...

1. Solid gold (12, 14, 18kt) watch-cases are pretty rare. If you find one in good condition, expect to pay a lot for it. Gold cases are hard to come by.

2. Solid gold cases can be a bit delicate, prone to scratching and denting. Treat it carefully. Antique pocket watches as a rule, should be treated carefully. Don't drop them, don't expose them to dust and/or water.

3. A decent gold-filled case is probably a better bet than solid gold. Keep that door open as a watch-buying option.

Good watches can be bought from online watch-sellers (pocketwatchsite.com, pocketwatcher.org, etc). You can try watchmaker's shops. Sometimes people sell watchmakers their old pocket watches, the watchmaker cleans it, services and puts it in his shop-window (I know at least one shop in my town that does that).

You could also check flea-markets and antiques stores. All my three watches were purchased at the local flea-market. All with gold-filled cases. The most expensive one cost me $240.

Keep in mind that an antique pocket watch should be serviced regularly; once every five years, if you use it all the time. And unless you have a reliable service-history on this watch, get it serviced the moment you buy it, before wearing it.

Annixter

Practically Family
sixties.nut said:
Buying a timepiece like this on an auction site is practically like throwing away good money as well. Should you still wish to invest in a good timepiece, then it is advisable to shop directly with an authorized distributor of the brand you seek. It will not only ensure the integrity of the works but will also have the assurance / warranty factor built in.

I wouldn't say that shopping for a vintage pocket watch on eBay is throwing one's money away, as it all depends on how the item is advertised/described, and how knowledgeable the buyer is. No matter if you buy the watch from a local antique store or flea market or if you buy it on eBay, chances are you will want/need to have it inspected, cleaned, and possibly refurbished by a professional. Although I don't have personal experience with vintage pocket watches, I have bought plenty of great antique items on eBay for good prices that I would have paid more for from a non-eBay dealer.

If you do go the eBay route, my advice is to buy from someone with a high feedback rating, and someone who accepts returns. If the seller states that he/she doesn't accept returns, I've found that a polite email to them will show otherwise. In my opinion, eBay is no different from vintage stores and antique shops, except that it is a hub for many people to gather in, and you cannot personally inspect the item by hand before buying or enjoy the in-person scouting. Also, a lot of knowledgeable antiques dealers sell on eBay. Depending on the price, eBay is usually worth the risk if you are having trouble finding something local that you like and that is reasonably priced.

Burton

One of the Regulars
I know nothing about vintage gold pocket watches but have a fair amount of very positive experience with ebay. ebay is nothing more then a forum for people selling things and with that you are exposed to sophisticated dealers and people who know very little of what they are selling. Because of that you must do research and see if you can find any comparable prices from other sources.

While jewelry isnt my thing I had a dear friend who bought a lot of it on ebay, knew what she was doing and admitted she bought a few duds but for the most part was buying things at much less then retail. These days there are some bargains out there. Good luck!

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Feraud said:
For that reason you may find some great deals if you know what you are doing.

Very well-said, Feraud.

Flutey, do PLENTY of research before you buy your pocket watch. From the time I made up my mind to the time I bought my watch was nearly a year. Learn what makes a good pocket watch, what were the best companies, what it means to have a gold case, how to tell that it's solid gold and so-on...

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
Shangas said:
Very well-said, Feraud.

Flutey, do PLENTY of research before you buy your pocket watch. From the time I made up my mind to the time I bought my watch was nearly a year. Learn what makes a good pocket watch, what were the best companies, what it means to have a gold case, how to tell that it's solid gold and so-on...

So I've figured out it's not an "I like how that one looks" sort of buying method. But where should I start some research? We were having a discussion on another thread that most "informational sites" really exist to drag people to their eBay store. So I feel a bit lost. Do you have any resources for me to look into?

Thanks a lot for the help,
flute

Feraud

Bartender
Shangas said:
Very well-said, Feraud.

Add to that list how to ask sellers questions. You can glean as much from an auction by what is not said/photographed as what is. :)
Do research, ask around, talk to friends, fellow Loungers, etc. and be patient.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
I would suggest digging up the public forums of the WatchUSeek website and go to the "Vintage & Pocket Watches" board. There are lots of helpful people there who can give you advice & information (I'm one of them!)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran