Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pocketwatches

Don Dahlberg

Familiar Face
The Illinois is a 16 size, Model 7, Grade 303. It dates from about 1918 or later. This model was produced from about 1911 to 1920. The case looks original to the watch. It is the right period and shows no other case screw marks that indicates that the case has been switched. The case would have been chosen by the customer at the time he chose the movement and joined by the jeweler at the time of sale.

Enjoy the watch, but be sure to have it cleaned and overhauled by someone familiar with vintage watches if you are going to run it. It should be cleaned about every 3-5 years if used.

Don

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Thanks Don. It was sold to me as being in running condition, but I haven't wound it yet for that very reason. I have a watch repair shop in mind- We'll see if they're up to it. The antique shop I got it from had it marked $125 originally, but we hit off season, and apparently it had been there a while, so they marked it down to $50 for me.

Last edited:

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
And here's the family heirloom pocket watch- currently safely put away in the safety deposit box. I'm not sure if I've shown this one before.
IMG_0273.jpg

Don Dahlberg

Familiar Face
Shangus,

Ten years would be appropriate for a modern watch, because of modern synthetic oils and the fact that modern watches are water resistant and thus dust resistant. Vintage watches are a different story. When vintage watches were new, the factories suggested that they be cleaned once a year. The oils would partially evaporate and oxidize. The thick oil would often stop the watch before dust became a problem.

Modern synthetic oils last about a decade, but they do nothing for the dust problem. Old cases allow dust to enter and mix with the oil. This acts like an abrasive and wears the pivots on the wheel arbors. It even wears the escape wheel jewels. If you keep your watch in a glass case and wear it once in a while, then yes, you can go 7-9 years. If you wear your vintage watch often, especially in hostile environments, then you should have it cleaned often. I clean my 1907 Illinois Sangamo every two years, because I wear it every day. From the dust inside, I should do it more often.

Don Dahlberg
NAWCC volunteer

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Looks like a beautiful watch, Dinerman.

For the sheer fact that my previous photographic contribution to this otherwise marvellous thread, was uglier than Stalin's butthole, I present what I think is my best photograph of my 1920s Art Deco TACY (Tavannes-CYMA) pocketwatch. I think this photograph shows off how beautiful this watch really is, especially with the detailing on the dial.

ArtDecoWatch.jpg

It is surrounded by period-correct 1920s Art Deco fountain pens.

Under the hood:

ArtDecoMovt.jpg

Last edited:

Tenorclef

One of the Regulars
A pocket watch can look very stylish especially with a 3-piece suit. Having weighed up the pro's and con's of buying a vintage or modern pocket watch i decided on the latter. Steering away from quart movements there is a number of companies that make a perfectly functional and stylish pocket watch.

Here is the one I currently have, its Sekonda 'full hunter' purchased for around 40 UK pounds sterling-

322-2779913SPA72UC584337M.jpg

However this is another one I really like and will probably purchase at some point. Its a Rotary 'Skeleton' for around 120 UK pound sterling-

gents-rotary-rose-gold-skeleton-pocket-watch-mp00724-21-402-p.jpg

Last edited:

davidg

New in Town
How about these three .. two of the pics are of the front and back of a recently acquired Masonic watch, and the third is a nice Deco design.

5800530035_a7d60419ed_b.jpg

5801084370_510c4c1b2b_b.jpg

5801084598_d0823d71e7_b.jpg

The Masonic one is just electric but I like its look!

Last edited by a moderator:

Tenorclef

One of the Regulars
How about these three .. two of the pics are of the front and back of a recently acquired Masonic watch, and the third is a nice Deco design.

5800530035_a7d60419ed_b.jpg

5801084370_510c4c1b2b_b.jpg

The Masonic one is just electric but I like its look!

I like the Masonic pocket watch it looks really dinky even if its a quartz. Quite unusual.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Hi TenorClef. The gold-plated hunter-case watch looks beautiful! Hope it gives you many years of service.

In my experience, watches like this come with belt-hook chains. You'll need an Albert chain to wear it with your waistcoat.

Effingham

A-List Customer
I have just been loving this thread. Makes me feel really bummed about the craptastic modern pocket watches I have. :(

Effingham

A-List Customer
Indeed. :)

I'm looking for something I like. I'm particularly fond of faces with the really elongated Roman numerals. They just look so cool.

Pompidou

One Too Many
252414_1729063675820_1515318688_31345627_222707_n.jpg

My dad collected clocks, wrist and pocket watches before moving on to cameras, but still keeps a bunch out on display. He gave me a nice old one today because it'd fit my outfit for my steampunk cafe in progress. You can tell it got tons of use. The engraving on the back is eroded from handling, and the crystal looks like it's seen some action. All the better, I think. Said it was one of his favorites just because it had been so used. The fob has a cool spring motif going that'll go right along with the rest of the theme.

EDIT: Been Googling. I guess the case is a "C.W.C.Co" which my first searches led me to believe was Chicago Watch Case Company, but further searches proved to actually be Crescent Watch Case Company (makes sense with the little Islamic crescent and star in the logo). The Crescent Watch Case Company was formed in 1882. The serial number 15126966 on the movement dates it at 1892. 1892 seems like the most likely date.

Oops, 1892 was the model. 17 jewel Waltham 1892. I'll keep editing here. I saw one model 1892 dated at 1904, so there's a range.

Last edited:

Don Dahlberg

Familiar Face
1892 is the date this model of Waltham movement was designed. Your serial number dates the movement about 1907. This is an approximate date, because the serial numbers were assigned to a movement when it was started, not when if was finished.

The movement is an 18 size. This is a large movement popular to about 1900 when the smaller 16 size started being more popular.

The watch was not factory cased. The person who purchased the movement chose the case and the movement and the jeweler joined them at the store.

If you open the back cover of the case and see anything about warrented for a number of years, it is gold filled. The more years, the thicker the gold. 30 years was the thickest. Eventually the government made them stop this form of statement, because it was not backed by any kind of testing.

Don

Pompidou

One Too Many
1892 is the date this model of Waltham movement was designed. Your serial number dates the movement about 1907. This is an approximate date, because the serial numbers were assigned to a movement when it was started, not when if was finished.

The movement is an 18 size. This is a large movement popular to about 1900 when the smaller 16 size started being more popular.

The watch was not factory cased. The person who purchased the movement chose the case and the movement and the jeweler joined them at the store.

If you open the back cover of the case and see anything about warrented for a number of years, it is gold filled. The more years, the thicker the gold. 30 years was the thickest. Eventually the government made them stop this form of statement, because it was not backed by any kind of testing.

Don

Thanks! I wasn't sure I could trust the website I plopped my serial number into. Your info sounds a lot more realistic. I just opened the inside of the two back cases and looked at the movement and it says "17 jewels, adjusted" circling the hairspring/balance wheel (hope my diagram is accurate - the only visibly moving spring/coil/wheel that makes the tick sound). It has "PS Bartlett" engraved up top, with "Waltham Mass" underneath. The case has "Sterling" "4" and "668" underneath the star and crescent. If I get a chance, I'll try and photograph it.

Last edited:

Maguire

Practically Family
I'm not sure if i've posted in this thread before but i've got a bunch of pocket watches, i rarely if ever wear wrist watches. Even if it wasn't a vintage item, i find wrist watches uncomfortable, and the few times i've forced myself to wear them they drove me crazy all day. For all the bashing modern pocket watches get, i think its unfair- there is NO question vintage timepieces are superior, but sometimes having that chinese made penny costing, battery operated watch comes in handy. When i was farmworking, i certainly wasn't going to wear my finest watch, and with casual clothes its far more low key. I'd never think of putting some of my better wind ups in my pocket! And as for keeping the time, i find even the cheap ones keep it and tick for quite some time (those little batteries have an incredible life span).

I wish i owned some real vintage watches. I own one Soviet made watch from the 40s (commemorating the WWII victory i believe) which is heavy, wind up and beautiful. But the rest are generally lower quality. I did, in Ireland see some beautiful heirlooms- one of the fellows i worked with inherited his great grandfather's swiss made watch. This pocket watch was from the 1840s. It was enormous, and the watch chain looked like a bicycle chain rather than the tiny ones you see today. the thing had weight in it as well.. i envy anyone who has something like this passed in their family.

XPLSV

One of the Regulars
My late Grandfather had a pocket watch, which I believe he had received from his Father. Unfortunately, when my Grandfather passed away, this item never made it into my hands. Nobody seems to know what became of it. He had some nice vintage woodworking planes that I would have cherished, too. One of the drawbacks of serving in the military and having the local relatives not appreciate some of the family heirlooms :(

Don Dahlberg

Familiar Face
Pompidou,

It sounds like your case is 4 ounce silver. Silver cases were falling out of favor by 1900 (along with 18 size movements), but some people still liked them up to about 1920.

Don

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot