Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pocketwatches

dnjan

One Too Many
$100 was the standard clean/overhall charge. And it seemed to get eratic/stop about every year.

Needless to say, I have switched watches.

Michaelson

One Too Many
I don't blame you. Sounds to me like it was a much deeper problem than a standard service could address![huh]

Regards! Michaelson

MrNewportCustom

Call Me a Cab
Nick D said:
DSC04687.jpg

Cheers,
Nick

Nick,
Nice watches. It looks like the speed adjuster is set fast on the Dasco, and off the scale on the Westclox. Have you adjusted these? If so, what was the result?

These are my watches:
dscn0230-2modified-1.jpg

On the far left is a modern Rollie that I bought in the early '80s. 17 jewels incablock. The middle one is a 21 jewel Waltham. Not sure of the vintage. My paternal grandfather used it while he was a mechanic on the Red Line Trollys in Los Angeles. The one on the right is a 21 jewel Illinois Bunn Special. My mother's uncle Clyde used it while he worked digging the tunnels in Zion Canyon. It's from the mid '20s: 1926 or 1927. Both are railroad watches and both run very well.

Watchinsides-1.jpg

I sent the Illinois in for repairs about twenty years ago. Because I'd dropped it, needed a new balance shaf, a couple jewels and a new crystal. It was recommended that I find a watch maker - not an easy task, to say the least. When I did find him, he'd ground three shafts before acheiving perfection. I don't remember who he was, but I'm still pleased with his work. I took them both to a local watch shop for cleanings, a few years ago. I've done nothing else since. I rarely carry them.

Lee

Flitcraft

One Too Many
Colibri is a good choice for every day carry- and they make a wide variety of styles. I've got a very plain Colibri I've had for probably twenty years and it still runs great.

dnjan

One Too Many
I have been thinking about a new pocketwatch. I have a number of antiques, but a pocketwatch is one of the items in which new can be as good (or better) than antique. Specifically, I am looking at swiss, mechanical movements. Skeleton case. There are some beautiful watches available.

Unfortunately, the dollar-euro exchange rate puts most of the nice ones in the $500 range.

Hoping that the dollar gets stronger ...

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Anyone have any knowledge of Majesti 17 jewel pocketwatches? I've seen a few at watch shops and jewelers. they run about $30 with chain. They look decent, I'm guessing they're something like gold plated.

For that price, I'd rather ask the board before running out and purchasing. Any hints on this particular brand?

plain old dave

A-List Customer
What I always thought would be slick would be an atomic pocket watch; a pocketwatch synchronized to WWV like some clocks and wristwatches are. My ol' Dollar Biscuit Timex got washed. Don't think it's worth fixing, though.

Flitcraft

One Too Many
Anyone have any knowledge of Majesti 17 jewel pocketwatches? I've seen a few at watch shops and jewelers. they run about $30 with chain. They look decent, I'm guessing they're something like gold plated.

For that price, I'd rather ask the board before running out and purchasing. Any hints on this particular brand?

Wouldn't waste money on them- look on Amazon or search for Colibri- they make a great watch for the money and you can almost always find them on sale somewhere.

Kodiak

A-List Customer
Does anybody have experience with Westclox watches? I was rooting through some stuff of my grandfather's the other day and ran across a couple engineer-style watches of that brand. The back of one of them was popped off, but the other ran so I wound it up and carried it for a few days, until I learned that it doesn't keep proper time. The model in question is a Scotty, I believe, and is probably relatively old. What would such a watch be worth? Any comments for a greenhorn here?

skbellis

One of the Regulars
Westclox Scotty

The Westclox Scotty is what is known as a dollar watch. Essentially they were the disposable watch of their day. Popular with labourers and such because if the watch was damaged, no big loss. Basically an every day work watch. Some of these watches endure today. I have two of them from the 1940's that still run. As someone else mentioned on here, they are not worth repairing (if anyone can even repair them). As to their value, I would say not much money-wise. But is sounds as if yours has some sentimental value. So, enjoy them.

Cheers,

---Scott

Flitcraft

One Too Many
If you do find a good older watch- Elgin, Illinois, Waltham, etc.- don't wind it until you can get a competent watch smith to check it out. Sometimes those old movements will work, but if they haven't been maintained- oiled, balanced, cleaned, etc.- the friction of the moving parts can wear away and damage some of the parts.
Don't want to get technical or pedantic, but waiting to have it checked out could mean the difference between something relatively cheap and easy to fix versus an expensive re-build.

Riposte3

One of the Regulars
Flitcraft said:
Undertow said:

Wouldn't waste money on them- look on Amazon or search for Colibri- they make a great watch for the money and you can almost always find them on sale somewhere.

I'd have to disagree, at least about the Majesti watches. They're good, dependable, watches for everyday wear. I have several, and they keep pretty good time with a little adjustment. And at that price, if it gets banged up it's not a big deal.

That said, Colibri is even better, if a little more expensive. I have one, and it's become my daily use watch now that I'm working in a job where pocketwatches are more practical. It only gains or loses about a minute a week (depending on the weather). Still not railroad quality, but pretty good for the price considering the watch companies pretty much consider mechanical watches to be a novelty item. I have a picture here.

-Jake

Kodiak

A-List Customer
skbellis said:
The Westclox Scotty is what is known as a dollar watch. Essentially they were the disposable watch of their day. Popular with labourers and such because if the watch was damaged, no big loss. Basically an every day work watch. Some of these watches endure today. I have two of them from the 1940's that still run. As someone else mentioned on here, they are not worth repairing (if anyone can even repair them). As to their value, I would say not much money-wise. But is sounds as if yours has some sentimental value. So, enjoy them.

Cheers,

---Scott

Thanks Scott. Hmm... probably not able to repair... I wonder... is there any way to adjust the speed of the watch? Mine seems to be running a bit slow. I'll have to dig out the old packaging and see what the problem is. Perhaps there will be some sort of info on the watch...

Thanks again.

funneman

Practically Family
Pocket Watch

So, I picked up a cheapie pocket watch and chain last night, just to see how I would like it, (love it), the question is, how exactly does one wear the chain?

Does it clip on on your belt between the first belt loop and the buckle? And how long should the chain hang?

Well, that's actually three questions.

Anyone with great vintage photos of guys wearing one the proper way?

Thanks.

Fatdutchman

Practically Family
You usually see them in the vest pocket with the chain coming out and attaching to a vest buttonhole. I don't know about pants pockets. I think they just used a fob that hung out of the pocket (?).

Starius

Practically Family
The only traditional way I am familiar with is the vest method.
Thats a good question though, are there any other traditional ways for a pocket watch? (Not including ladies pocket watches, that is.)

Edward

Bartender
Gomez Addams in the TV show used to have the watch in the breat pocket of his DB suit jacket, if memory serves - I believe the button was a T-bar type, through the button hole of the jacket. I've also seen them worn as suggested clipped to the pants or the belt..... I tend to assume this must have been fairly common, given the presence of w2hat is known (over here at least) of the "watch pocket" on many trousers, jeans in particular, and the fact that not every guy would have worn a waistcoat all the time.

manton

A-List Customer
The ways that I know:

1) T-bar through the lapel buttonhole, pocket watch in breast pocket.

2) Chain clipped to belt loop, watch in special trouser watch pocket beneath trouser waistband.

3) Chain clipped to belt loop, watch in trouser side pocket.

4) Chain cliped to vest button shank, watch in vest pocket.

5) Fob chain strung through special vest fob buttonhole, watch at one end of chan in one vest pocket, fob or pocket knife (or something) at other end of chain in alternate vest pocket.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nextstop1derland