Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pocketwatches

Flitcraft

One Too Many
Great Watch...

Those Hamiltons are rock solid- should give you years of service. You might want to consider getting a leather strap and fob, or a short chain and fob if you want to wear your watch in a front trouser pocket.
There is also the veddy, veddy British method of slipping the watch into the breast, or hanky pocket of a suit jacket and slipping the chain end through the buttonhole in the jacket lapel- sounds more complicated than it is and can look really cool.
You might want to try the Colibri watch website for some ideas for good watch chains.

Bama Mike

Familiar Face
Flitcraft said:
Those Hamiltons are rock solid- should give you years of service. You might want to consider getting a leather strap and fob, or a short chain and fob if you want to wear your watch in a front trouser pocket.
There is also the veddy, veddy British method of slipping the watch into the breast, or hanky pocket of a suit jacket and slipping the chain end through the buttonhole in the jacket lapel- sounds more complicated than it is and can look really cool.
You might want to try the Colibri watch website for some ideas for good watch chains.

Great advice. Is it appropriate to wear a pocket watch in the jacket pocket behind a pocket square or would it be too busy with pocket square, chain, and watch all there together?

Pymander

New in Town
Bama Mike said:
Great advice. Is it appropriate to wear a pocket watch in the jacket pocket behind a pocket square or would it be too busy with pocket square, chain, and watch all there together?

In the "Jeeves & Wooster" TV show, Bertie Wooster commonly wears his pocketwatch in his breast pocket. Sometimes with a pocket square, too, so it must work all right!

Flitcraft

One Too Many
So does Edward Woodward in the old Equalizer television show. He made it look oh so cool and sophisticated.

Bama Mike

Familiar Face
Thanks for the replies. I just picked it up from the watchmaker a couple of hours ago. He serviced it and then kept it for a few days to check the accuracy. It's keeping perfect time. He estimated it to have been created around 1900 to 1905, which is a little earlier than I initially thought. I looked at the serial number and am going to try to find out for sure. He said that with care it should continue to run for a very, very long time. I'm excited to have it back and am now looking for the right chain or strap for it.:)

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Very Nice, indeed!

I love these old 'real' pocket watches. I have my Dad's from the early 20th Century. It's a Waltham. He must have really liked Waltham - I wear his Waltham wrist watch as well.

I've attached a few pics of my piece.

WalthamPocketfront.jpg
WalthamPocketback2.jpg

-dixon cannan

K

kpreed

I have a 1914 Elgin and I have a Gold chain on it because it is a Gold watch, but if I had no other chain except a Silver one, I would use it and pity anyone who does not like it. I would look for a gold chain too, but that is just me and I am not big on mixing Silver and Gold stuff. (First and most important) Enjoy your watch!

Bama Mike

Familiar Face
Dixon Cannon said:
I love these old 'real' pocket watches. I have my Dad's from the early 20th Century. It's a Waltham. He must have really liked Waltham - I wear his Waltham wrist watch as well.

WalthamPocketfront.jpg
WalthamPocketback2.jpg

-dixon cannan

That's a beautiful watch and special since it belonged to your Dad. Did he have the engraving done on the back or did you do that?

Bama Mike

Familiar Face
kpreed said:
I have a 1914 Elgin and I have a Gold chain on it because it is a Gold watch, but if I had no other chain except a Silver one, I would use it and pity anyone who does not like it. I would look for a gold chain too, but that is just me and I am not big on mixing Silver and Gold stuff. (First and most important) Enjoy your watch!

I bet that Elgin is beautiful also. I think I'll use the silver chain now (all I have) but you're right - a gold chain for a gold watch is the best way to go. I'm on the lookout for the right one now.

K

kpreed

I can not get my camera to work now or before. Found this photo without the chain.
A491.jpg

Bama Mike

Familiar Face
kpreed said:
I can not get my camera to work now or before. Found this photo without the chain.
A491.jpg

Beautiful watch. Also, I believe the watchmaker gave me an incorrect age on my watch. I looked up the serial number on a website which indicates a date of 1931 - more in line with what I was initially thinking. Again, that Elgin is beautiful.

anon`

One Too Many
Dixon Cannon said:

WalthamPocketfront.jpg

[I][SIZE="1"]-dixon cannan[/SIZE][/I][/QUOTE]
Very nice. I either have that exact same watch (model) or one very, very similar to it. No fancy engraving, though, and mine likes to run fast. Not a very good choice for a railroader, I'd say ;)

I have an interesting watch chain that is 17" in length and has no "T" device, were some chains designed to be worn between the two vest pockets without being anchored at the vest button in the center, or has this piece possibly become dislodged? This piece has been handed down in the family, although I have no photos of it in use. Interestingly, the fob is a WW1 British Army 1914-1915 Star from the Welsh Regiment.

Mark from Plano

One of the Regulars
Leutnant said:
I have an interesting watch chain that is 17" in length and has no "T" device, were some chains designed to be worn between the two vest pockets without being anchored at the vest button in the center, or has this piece possibly become dislodged? This piece has been handed down in the family, although I have no photos of it in use. Interestingly, the fob is a WW1 British Army 1914-1915 Star from the Welsh Regiment.

I would dare say that "most" watch chains did not have a T-bar. The chain could be threaded through a vest button hole with the watch attached to one end and a fob to the other in the respective vest pockets. Or the watch could be in the trouser pocket with the chain looped through a belt loop and fastened back on itself. Lots of ways to wear it without the t-bar that was present on an Albert chain.

Feraud

Bartender
Leutnant said:

The chain could have been worn through a button hole with no hook in the middle. What style clasps are on each end?
Please post a picture when you can. The fob sounds especially nice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred