Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Poll: Button or snaps on your suspenders?

Buttons or snaps on your suspenders?

• Buttons

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • Snaps

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
dhermann1 said:
At swing dance events you see a lot of guys with standard low rise trousers, with clip on suspenders dancing around and thinking they're sooo cool, and they're just sooo uncool. They tend to compound the sin by wearing big fat 70's ties, in the mistaken belief that they resemble wide 40's ties. Ugh.
I believe this happens before they stumble across the fedora lounge. I also went this way (almost...no 70s ties here) First I found out that swing and 40s RNB is the best music ever...than I like the look of the musicians and dancers...after a while I figured out how to recreate it. Took some time. Finaly found the lounge for more information.

dhermann1 said:
Little boys in the late 40's and early 50's were frequently sent to school by their doting moms sporting striped jersey t-shirts (not printed, but multi color horizontal dark colors woven in) and baggy corduroys, held up by clip on suspenders. And scuffed up brown oxford shoes. I'd love to see some of those old t-shirts again. That's one vintage item you NEVER see, but the clip ons, bleccchhh!
:eek:fftopic: but sounds cool. Do you have pictures? Maybe you could post them in another thread thats more related.

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
I experimented with button on braces on Saturday using a vintage suit which had the buttons already sewn on. They did well in keeping my trousers at the same height all day. However, I found the straps on my shoulders too uncomfortable - too much like carrying a rucksack all the time.

So whilst I tried braces I can say that I prefer a belt to keep my trousers up. [huh]

Bruce Wayne

My Mail is Forwarded Here
avedwards said:
I experimented with button on braces on Saturday using a vintage suit which had the buttons already sewn on. They did well in keeping my trousers at the same height all day. However, I found the straps on my shoulders too uncomfortable - too much like carrying a rucksack all the time.

So whilst I tried braces I can say that I prefer a belt to keep my trousers up. [huh]

Mine feel the same way, sometimes, but I have, for the most part, made peace with the feeling.

kowalskt63

Familiar Face
Most of mine are buttons, but I do use snaps on occasion. Particularly when I get a new pair of pants and haven't taken them to the tailor to get them sewn on. As for sewing myself, that may be easy, but I'd rather let someone else do it for me. It's called convenience. Same reason I run to the WaWa instead of the supermarket when I want a gallon of milk. The newer snap models have proven to be very well made, and do the job they are intended to do - hold up my dang pants. :)

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
John in Covina said:
All I can think is you must have too much stuff in your pockets!:eusa_doh:
My pockets were empty so that's unlikely. [huh]

Mike in Seattle said:
As John said - carrying too much in your pockets, or more likely, perhaps, is you're wearing the braces too tight.
I had them quite loosely so that my trousers were where I normally like them (I'm tall so too high waisted doesn't suit me), so that could be ruled out too.

I think it's just a new feeling for me and I may have to try it again to get used to it, as well as to get used the look. I'm normally not squeamish about wearing unusual clothing, but braces just don't yet feel "right" on me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner