Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pre 1940s dress hats

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
Here's my "new to me" late 1930's Stevens

Based on the very tight "I" stitching and the reeded edge on the sweatband, I would say this hat is from the late 30's. It has a 2 3/4 inch brim and has extreamly soft Navy blue fur felt. I just did a crown rebash, steaming, and brushing today.

DSC03290.jpg

DSC03283.jpg

DSC03301.jpg

DSC03298.jpg

DSC03302.jpg

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Joshbru3, Very nice hat. I was waiting to respond, hoping others would start getting involved more in this thread. You're not being ignored - just a tendency here to go more for '50s and '60s hats. Personally, these pre-1940 threads started by Dinerman are my favorites.

There have been a couple of Disneys shown here that had that odd sweatband back-stitching - one positively dated to 1941, but with an unreeded sweat. I'm much more familiar with Stetsons, but I think it's likely that other hat manufacturers similarly went from reeded sweats to unreeded in the mid-to-late '30s, placing this one in the '30s.

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
ScottF said:
Joshbru3, Very nice hat. I was waiting to respond, hoping others would start getting involved more in this thread. You're not being ignored - just a tendency here to go more for '50s and '60s hats. Personally, these pre-1940 threads started by Dinerman are my favorites.

There have been a couple of Disneys shown here that had that odd sweatband back-stitching - one positively dated to 1941, but with an unreeded sweat. I'm much more familiar with Stetsons, but I think it's likely that other hat manufacturers similarly went from reeded sweats to unreeded in the mid-to-late '30s, placing this one in the '30s.

Thanks ScottF!! I appreciate it. The pre-1940's threads are most definately my favorite threads, but this is my first pre-1940's hat that I have purchased. I was really excited to finally get a spot in this thread. I have another hat (Barrister) that is borderline late 30's early 40's, but I really think its leaning more towards the early-mid 40's. While I love 50's and 60's hats, prewar hats just have a certain flair and craftmanship that is rare in postwar hats. I find that, at least on ebay, 1930's fedoras are hard to come by in general. There is always a good amount of turn of the century tophats and 1920's bowlers, but its like 30's hats are much harder to find than late 40's and beyond. The 50's and 60's hats seem to flood the vintage hat market at least as of right now. I cant wait to find my next prewar lid.

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Great hat. Fascinating stitching on the sweat.
And de-oilized. Gee, I don't have any like that...

Unique and tremendous hat.

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
Thanks Feltfan & Widebrim!! I appreciate it. I have never seen another hat that says "De-oilized." I wonder what Stevens could have done to the hat to make it resist oil.

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
jwalls said:
Absolutely, Snake Oil will usually cost you more than you can afford. :eusa_doh: :eusa_doh: :eusa_doh:

Would the snake oil wear off over time, or with years of steaming and wear? Or is the oil bonded with the felt once applied? I tell ya, if the snake oil is still on the hat, it could explain why the felt is so silky smooth. I think its by far my softest felt hat. The only one that compares is my 1950's Borsalino which looks to be velour felt. The hat is really de-oilized, there isnt one speck of oil or dirt on the outside felt, just the silk liner. By the way, thanks everyone for the compliments.

buler

I'll Lock Up
Early Wononsco low crown

As I said in the post new hats thread, I haven't seen this type of low crowned telecope hat except in ads and old pictures. This one is marked Wononsco. The only reference I found on the web for Wononsco was a lake in Connecticut. Large frayed bow. Lighter brown/tan rolled edge leather sweat. Taped rear seam. Deep embossing on the Wononsco mark. Scalloped size tag.

B

wononsko_1.jpg

wononsko_2.jpg

wononsko_3.jpg

wononsko_4.jpg

wononsko_5.jpg

wononsko_6.jpg

rlk

I'll Lock Up
buler said:
As I said in the post new hats thread, I haven't seen this type of low crowned telecope hat except in ads and old pictures. This one is marked Wononsco. The only reference I found on the web for Wononsco was a lake in Connecticut.
4759251432_b906b2406e_b.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21